Wils

Throttle Adaption Reset

how do you know it has been reset? does it beeps or something.

Surely its a mind thing, because people dont seem to drive in the same manner daily and pull out of the same junctions with the same amount of traffic etc

My driving style changes thru the week, Bare in mind i leave for work at the same time everyday.

Monday tends to arrive to work late, due to traffic!

By Wednesday.....Average

By Friday.....TFI friday i tend to be at work earlier!

Ive been meaning to try this for a while and finally got round to doing it. My cars a 320i M sport touring and has been really "jumpy" when pulling away. Really amazed at the difference, the car pulls away lovely and smooth now. I was a bit sceptical that just turning the key a few times could make such a difference but quite clearly it has :D Great little tip

Edited by Paddybrown23

Does this work on an Auto box too guys??

Also is there a sort of confirmation when it's done correctly? Like a beep etc? tried it yesterday and couldn't tell if it worked/made a difference...

Also is there a sort of confirmation when it's done correctly? Like a beep etc? tried it yesterday and couldn't tell if it worked/made a difference...

Why dont you read the entire thread instead of asking questions that have already been answered? Its three pages long, not twenty!

Why dont you read the entire thread instead of asking questions that have already been answered? Its three pages long, not twenty!

Pmsl :D

Oh damn . . now it's 4 pages! . . that poor man's gonna be reading all night long :rolleyes:

Why didn't you just answer the question instead of wasting yours and my time with this pointless post.

Two wrongs and all that.... lol. ;)

Yep it works on both Autos and Manuals :)

Unfortunately not :( You just have to trust it's done it I guess.

The only way i can get the throttle to adapt is using software like inpa or gt as you can actually hear the throttle body resetting etc, when i tried the above key method i heard nothing so it never worked that way

For those with M54 M54 MS43 lumps under the bonnet with throttle drive by wire ( electronic ) and not by a cable there is a reset than can be made that may improve throttle response. This is typically done if a customer complains after an a new EDK is installed - allthough it should be done as part of the procedure anyway).

Its easy and quick just 20 seconds thats all !!

1 Place key in ignition and turn to detent 1 and count for 10 seconds ( only postion 1 do not start the engine. )

2.Turn key back to 0 postion and count for another 10 seconds

3.Now turn the key all the way to detent 3 to start the engine

Thats it your throttle is now reset. this can help to improve the cars throttle response. this little trick is always worth a go if you feel the car is a little sluggish or has been bought off someone who has just gone to the shops n back in thier BM. In theroy the throttle should now adapt slightly to your driving style

just tried this out..... i will see if i notice any difference on my drive to work tonight

Done this to my car today to see what (if any) difference it would make. . .

Big mistake, need to depress the go fast pedal much further and the auto box seems to have a mind of it's own, dropped into second halfway up a hill with the girlfriends mother in the car, was quite embarrassing, the car dropped then went like stink, she must've thought I was a daft boy racer, lol

Just hope it adapts back to my driving style soon!

Done this to my car today to see what (if any) difference it would make. . .

Big mistake, need to depress the go fast pedal much further and the auto box seems to have a mind of it's own, dropped into second halfway up a hill with the girlfriends mother in the car, was quite embarrassing, the car dropped then went like stink, she must've thought I was a daft boy racer, lol

Just hope it adapts back to my driving style soon!

Mate, I`ve got an auto, done this loads of times and never experienced that! The pedal usually feels lighter and responds to the touch but it will revert back to your style quite quickly.

Ive got an auto and it works for me, car is much faster, quicker and smarter in kicking down etc, but after a couple days of driving its back to normal again...have to do this every other day to keep it going!

This is because the car learns your driving style dude, if you drive it hard all the time it will stay sharp, really should do mine..........

I think all E46s can be reset but they will just adapt themselves after a few miles so it won't make much difference anyway.