R2D2

How To Replace Your Ccv Valve - M54 Engine

I need to crack on with this, noticed the pipe to the rocker when i did my vanos seals was clogged up, it drinks oil like a bitch,

top guide cheers man

8 hours ago, dhutch said:

This may be a really stupid question, but if its just gunked up with emulsified oil, why do you have can to replace the whole lot (pipes and all) can you not just flush it out with degreaser and an airline?

Daniel

The bigger problem is they crack and then leak, because the plastic is old ( 15 years old on my car ) the plastic goes very brittle and cracks 

11 minutes ago, Chimp Choker said:

Lol, what have I missed

Sent from my LG-H815

The world ended (well atleast for Stu). Did you get a new motor?

Changed all these pipes today as mine (2005 82,000m car) had no history of it being done! ALL were brittle. Now as im a tight bugga & I have a socket set I thought I wont pay a garage to do it!

TRUST ME FOLKS PAY THE BLOODY MECHANIC £300.00 or whatever it is!!!!!!! LOL

What a PITA job this was.  All went reasonably well until the first lost screw followed by numerous sockets  (1 hour to find/retrieve  lol) Engine tray off but the little blighter never made it that far ARRGGGGGHHHH. All squeeze connectors on the pipes fell apart but didn't let go of the pipe ! Just crumbled lol.

The ccv removal was beyond my patience. I must have looked like Clark Grizzwald in Lampoons Christmas vacation when he`s thrashing the electrical connections on the front lawn. In the end I snapped the ccv t get it out. 10/10 to chimp + others im sure, who got the bugga out in one piece!!!!

This post & the video are a mahooosive help but next time mine`s off to the nearest indy!!!!!!  Its just one awkward job after another.

Mind now the car is done its great to have saved the cash which is what the DIY threads are all about so THANKYOU gentlemen (R2D2etc) for taking the time to post ALL the DIY guides.

If your about to do this job........go to the pub instead lol

Definitely up there as one of the more awkward jobs ive had to do. If you think thats bad though, just wait til youve got to replace the hedgehog resistor for your internal fans!

On 09/05/2016 at 20:04, Trevor said:

I found the fsr quite straightforward. 

Does that mean the ccv will be similar..? 😀

You must have hands like that stretchy bloke from the x files episode if you found the fsr straighforward! 

Ive done this today using a Meyle kit from eBay.

thanks to the OP for the guide - it was invaluable.

having said that it is still a pig of a job.

access to the throttle body, the valve itself and associated screws and fittings is very poor and you need a lot of patience. 

A flexible screwdriver/socket extension is also a must - whoever designed the throttle body so that where the boot clips on you can barely see the jubilee clip let alone get a socket or a screwdriver on it whatever position its in wants shooting in the head. 

Sadly when i got all mine apart i found it was a genuine part and date stamped 2013 so it hadnt been done that long ago. It also blew through ok, as did the dipstick tube so i may have done all this for nothing and just have to accept that my car likes a drink of oil every now and again 🙄 

On 19 December 2016 at 08:37, R2D2 said:

Thats odd as ive never found it that difficult to get the TB out, but agreed about the CCV itself, it was an absolute pig. Glad you got there in the end, even if it doesnt solve the issue you can claim to be in the club now :lol:

Throttle body itself wasnt too bad, but the big jubilee clip that holds the intake boot to it was very tricky.

also i thought the line "move the wiring conduit out of the way" was funny - yes you can undo the 3 fixings and unplug the plugs you can see but tthe bloody thing cant really be moved out of the way ! It moves a bit but is always in the way !

its done now anyway 😄

Приветствую всех!
Нашел удивительную фотоподборку на этом сайте: http://anubi.ru :
http://anubi.ru/interesnoe/7886-simpatichnye-velosipedistki.html Симпатичные велосипедистки
http://anubi.ru/foto-prikoly-interesnoe/798-krasota-v-fotografiyah-odnogo-iz-samyh-udivitelnyh-ugolkov-rossii.html Красота в фотографиях одного из самых удивительных уголков России
http://anubi.ru/foto-prikoly-interesnoe/6437-shnobelevskaya-premiya-2016-vrucheny-nagrady-za-samye-bespoleznye-nauchnye-otkrytiya.html

Signed up to say awesome write up, makes it much less daunting for me.  I have just bought a 325i which had been looked after quite well and is at 140k, but there's no evidence of the ccv system ever being changed. I think it's using oil, not huge amounts and it drives lovely, but I've had to put half a dipsticks worth in it over 400 odd miles. 

When I remove the oil cap, nothing happens to the car at all, idle is perfect still and there's no pressure being blown or sucked into the oil cap but I keep reading this means nothing really, and to just replace everything regardless 

Did this cure your oil usage OP? 

42 minutes ago, marcp8v said:

Signed up to say awesome write up, makes it much less daunting for me.  I have just bought a 325i which had been looked after quite well and is at 140k, but there's no evidence of the ccv system ever being changed. I think it's using oil, not huge amounts and it drives lovely, but I've had to put half a dipsticks worth in it over 400 odd miles. 

When I remove the oil cap, nothing happens to the car at all, idle is perfect still and there's no pressure being blown or sucked into the oil cap but I keep reading this means nothing really, and to just replace everything regardless 

Did this cure your oil usage OP? 

Blimey, havent seen this thread for a few years :)

Glad it helped, think it did help with the oil consumption, but i had a lot more problems with the car not long after doing the job so had to chop it in.