Mengwalton

Marine Engineering Officer - My Job Pic Heavy

A few of you have asked about my job in the past and seeing the other lads thread inspired me to do one aswell (cool job btw my seccond choice was RAF)

I started out traning in the RN as a submariner however was offered a sponsorship with the merchant navy I couldnt turn down (2x money 1/2 the work) . (Part of me wishes ide have stayed RN)

I started my training in late 2008 / early 2009 to become marine engineering officer of the watch unlimited.

The first year is spent at college/uni studying basic theoretical engineering (thermal dynamics etc.) along with some time in a workshop.

After the first year we went to sea for 3-4 months - at this time we just pissed about but it was on my first trip that the seriousness of my job kicked in when we had a fire (small when I look back now) on my watch.

We then go back to college and then sea and so forth for nearly 4years

I became fully qualified after passing more exams than I can count filling in more task books than I care to remember and a final MCA oral exam

So basically my job is to look after the running of the plant on my watch some of the machinery includes:

30,000KW 2stroke slow speed deisel engine (Rough size of cylinders : bore: 950mm , Stroke 3.5m)

800Kva prime movers driving generators x 3

Fresh water generating plant

Axillary boiler (Sounds small but trust me it isnt)

Sewage system (downside of job)

Incinerator (1200oC)

Etc etc.

Ill put some pics up here of bad weather / my last ship / some weather extremes / crazy helicopter pilots

IMAG0840.jpg

IMAG0824.jpg

IMAG0819.jpg

IMAG0692.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0580.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

post-21156-0-23276300-1354733475_thumb.j

post-21156-0-88614700-1354733486_thumb.j

post-21156-0-32333500-1354733501_thumb.j

Great job mate! I prefer the air to the sea personally lol

You go all over, or tend to stick to the same routes?

All over the place mate, i remember being blown away by my first trip , Singapore>India>south africa>singapore>australlia>US>then up to uk and EU

I always wanted to be a pilot or flight engineer tbh but i have a metal pin in my right femur after breaking it, however they can now be removed safley after its all healed so I would have been fine but its abit late now :)

Everyone is just bragging now! :)

I'm going to do my own thread.......with some screenshots of servers......yeah baby, IT is the best, oh wait, no is not.

I really wanted to be a stuntman, but never followed through with it.

Everyone is just bragging now! :)

I'm going to do my own thread.......with some screenshots of servers......yeah baby, IT is the best, oh wait, no is not.

I really wanted to be a stuntman, but never followed through with it.

I got my phone out to take picturea but then remembered am behind a desk with just 2 pcs and a laptop. :(

Wanted to be an airforce pilot but due to life came over to the uk and thay changed. Then tried to apply for the royal marines and then developed a lock in my knee. I guess we IT guys are made for IT.lol

Using the best phablet ever

Due to working on a government network which is secure, can't even post screenshots or photos!

Even my desk area is in a secure area, so can't even take photo of my desk!

came across this article and did not know where to put it, so thought i would smack it on here. sorry for the Hijack

You won’t have any trouble finding this Marco Polo in the pool—even with your eyes closed. Five Airbus A380s lined up nose-to-tail still wouldn’t match the length, much less the overwhelming mass, of the world’s largest container ship.

The CMA CGM Marco Polo is the largest container ship ever constructed, capable of transporting 16,020 TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit, the standard of international shipping containers) of cargo—820 more the Emma Maersk’s previous record and a tenfold capacity increase from the 1980s. At 400 metres long and 55 metres wide with a 30 metre draft and 187,625 dead weight tonnage, it’s also the largest human construct to ever move across the planet’s surface. It’s larger than both the Queen Mary 2 and the Charles de Gaulle, even America’s Nimitz-Class super carriers. Slap the Empire State building and the Eiffel Tower together—this ship is still bigger.

Built by South Korea’s DSME (Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering) and operated by CMA CGM, a French shipping company, the Marco Polo entered service in November of last year. It transports goods along the French Asia Line (FAL1), an international shipping route that runs from Shanghai, through the Mediterranean, and up the coast of Western Europe to Hamburg.

daily_mail_diagram_1.jpg

Mate you made the right choice going mercahant navy. I spent 12 years in the royal navy as tiff, left as a chief engineer. The military WAS great but it was a joke by the time i left. 42 ships down to 25 half of which didnt work. Its even worse now. Cant complain too much though i did 3 global tours, far east twice and based in hong kong for 18 months. Shame is if you joined now you will never get to do things i did or go to those places. Ive attached a picture of the after engine control room of my first ship the fearless which was was designed and built in the 50's, good old fashioned super heated steam power, the only digital equipment in the entire engineering area was the shaft tacho haha everything else brass gauges and levers.

post-20822-0-36784000-1358504564_thumb.j

post-20822-0-83641500-1358504776_thumb.j

Edited by daz031178