Jasesapphy

Remapped 330D Air Charge Temps

Hi Guys

This weekend I have done some testing on air charge temps, and was quite suprised just how high they are getting on the 330d, actually i am going start looking for an intercooler upgrade (hopefully less than the £450 option from Allard)

The car is ok when driving normally but soon as you start opening up and pushing on some of themp are climbing very high.

It should be a consideration for you all.

Let's be honest here........BMW wouldn't of put an air temperature sensor in a charge pipe that was going to read inaccurately now are they!?

All the charge system will suffer from heat soak but that's only when you're sat in traffic,

However a good intercooler will soon get these temps down as you start moving again,

Let's be honest here........BMW wouldn't of put an air temperature sensor in a charge pipe that was going to read inaccurately now are they!?

All the charge system will suffer from heat soak but that's only when you're sat in traffic,

However a good intercooler will soon get these temps down as you start moving again,

Yeah they would lol

Its something that one of the tuners I spoke to picked upm on! Cant remember which one now but it was something they were concious of

It was originally an Airtec 70mm RS500 Cosworth Intercooler that I had modified - basically the top chopped off it and smaller inlet/outlets welded on.

No extra 'lag' at all - bear in mind all you are doing is just compressing the air that's already in there.

It was originally an Airtec 70mm RS500 Cosworth Intercooler that I had modified - basically the top chopped off it and smaller inlet/outlets welded on.

No extra 'lag' at all - bear in mind all you are doing is just compressing the air that's already in there.

Oh right a custom job then?! nice :thumbsup:

If you increase the "space" or size of a charge cooler you do run the risk of lag due to the cooler cooling the air arfter the turbocharger has compressed it.

It can also be a problem if you move the cooler for any reason and extend the piping to and from it, getting more surface area is always a good thing but it will increase lag, just depends on how much and if its noticable or not!

The only thing its going to possibly going to affect is the aircon when stationary I believe.

Mine's been off for 4 months ish and I know of someone elses thats been off for over a year with no adverse affects.