Jasesapphy

E46 330D 300Bhp 500Ft Lb

I found the big cooler most noticeable on the motorway, nail the throttle open for a few seconds, then back off, with the old cooler you could feel the throttle wasnt as responsive the next time you nailed it, and again and again doing this test time after time it was easy to notice a large drop in power,

Fitting the big cooler the throttle feels exactly the same every time, always ready to put all its power down whenever you ask nomatter how hard its being driven. It recovers so much faster than the little standard cooler which is very unefficient.

Its a must do mod for anyone wanting big power and consistent results.

Its interesting though, because for one run on a dyno, maybe the std one would work, in the right circumstances, but after a few runs without doubt heat soak would start to take effect.

but on the road its night and day.the charge temp drop speaks for itself really.

The more you push and find more power, run more boost, the issue gets worse and worse, and it just got to the point where it needed an intercooler upgrade to ensure the package was safe and consistent, as well as making the power we wanted to acheive the charge temps were bordering rediculous.

We dont make packages that will make xxx power once on a dyno, these are BMW Diesel engines we are playing with, they are designed to be used hour after hour, they could sit flat out for days on end if needed, and there is no way on earth a Std intercooler is upto the job on anything other than a std car really.

Edited by james@msd

Hi Guys,

Thought I would join up and say hi. I have an E39 im afraid, but am still a BMW fan so hope I am welcome. :)

This is an interesting discussion indeed, but I must say, any tuner who thinks an intercooler upgrade isnt worthwhile on a turbocharged car really doesnt understand the fundamentals of tuning... heating up the air is almost exactly the same as turning down the boost as far as power is concerned, but it comes with many more drawbacks and dangers.

Also, please ignore peak BHP figures when looking at diesel road car tuning.

All that matters is the area under the graph. The more area under the line, the faster the car is, it really is that simple. Peak BHP figures on diesel engines are very missleading as often we simply cant flow anymore air up there and are limited significantly not only by the induction stroke time base but also of course the limitations of diesel burn time. However, if we have an extra 200ftlb of torque from 2000 - 4000rpm, that car will still be a LOT faster than teh standarde version, regardless of its final peak BHP reading. Hell, sometimes for various forms of motorsport engine we purposely dont tune the top end of the tables at all, so if your looking at peak BHP figures alone, you would assume the car is still standard and wonder how lap times have come down 2 seconds. LOL ;)

Well yeah!

Ive worked on turbo charge things from cars both petrol and diesel as well as various military vehicles and i have to agree that lowering the charge air is good but ive spoke to two tuners and both said that there is no point in fitting a larger charge cooler and as im not a tuner and dont spend hours and hours experimenting with things ive got nothing to base it on aprt from what the professionals say!

Plus there was the article in performance BMW mag and that was done by one tuning company!!Has anybody here actually fitted a larger charge cooler? and got results good or bad

After doing my tests weekend I done one flat out run on open road and ACTs were 55oC

I then went on country roads giving multiple large right foot and repeatedly seen temps of 80-95 degrees and drop off in power

Intercooler is next on list and a definate, I am happy to report back before and afters independently

Downloaded the Android app Torque and got it setup in my car today so thought I'd report back on my inlet temp findings with a FMIC.

This is my intercooler..

IMG_5781Medium_zpsadb21f31.jpg

IMG_5786Medium_zps70eb014f.jpg

IMG_5787Medium_zpsc3f7abec.jpg

Flat out runs in 3rd & 4th gear this evening saw temps no higher than 13degsC, thats with an ambient temp according to the DIS of 5.5degsC.

Must admit I'm very very happy with that indeed, better than I thought it was going to be really.

Lee, is that the airtec one?

Its a chopped down and modified Cosworth RS500 intercooler that was actually originally made by Airtec.

Sweet, I was looking at the Allard intercooler but will probably go with the airtec one

bungers: Great buy, tnx. I just have the problem that i'm unsure if the danish tuner is able to make the car run without too many nm, i saw stu writing about torque lim. It may sound crazy but actually thinking about taking a vacation in UK, and get the car remap by stu, reading the tuning artickels he wrote,sure he knows his stuff.