daz031178

Are Mintex Pads Any Good?

Morning all. Well after having the car for a little while now and putting up with the s**te noise from the rear of the car when i brake. Ive put it down to the s**t pads that the last owner out on it 3 months before i got it. The only way to discribe it is a grinding noise. So question is i can get a full set, front and rear mintex pads and sensors for £55, are they any good or has anykne else got suggestions.

Thanks

Darren

Hi mate i had them on mine and are s**t i would go with oem one much better

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I had a set of mitex on the rear with redstuff upfront and it was a great setup. Loads less dust than OEM.

Thing is though as the fronts do most of the work they may not perform as well as suggested above.

I had the higher end mintex pads and discs on my old focus and they made a massive difference over OEM. Im planning to change all mine sometime b4 all the snow etc.

Standard Mintex pads are good for normal day to day driving, but for spirited driving you want performance pads

The cheaper mintex will fade quite easily, Im using Red stuff in mine and they seem pretty good all round, a bit more money though.

Do you track your car? I thought that red stuff pads were a bit greasy until up to temperature a bit, or are only any good with hard braking?

Do you track your car? I thought that red stuff pads were a bit greasy until up to temperature a bit, or are only any good with hard braking?

Redstuff are fine for daily. Only time i ever had a problem was after a long run to london from Birmingham in the pouring rain. It was late at night and the roads were clear so i didnt do any braking until i got off the motorway. As the brakes were cold and wet it took a little longer to bite than normal.

I found mintex to be squeaky and dusty.

I still found mine better than OEM for dust.

Redstuff are fine for daily. Only time i ever had a problem was after a long run to london from Birmingham in the pouring rain. It was late at night and the roads were clear so i didnt do any braking until i got off the motorway. As the brakes were cold and wet it took a little longer to bite than normal.

I still found mine better than OEM for dust.

Cant you have the best of both worlds by using green stuff pads instead though. I always thought that red stuff was for performance and track cars.

You probably could, i have just never experienced them so wouldn't want to recommend them.

IIRC goes as follows.

Ultimax - OE Equivalent

Green - Fast Road/Street

Red - Fast Road/Track

Yellow - I think these are also road legal but are primarily a track based pad. I had these on my 325 track car which i did 10k in (mainly road driving) and never once had a problem.

Mintex, the name, i believe was bought by GSF like Pagid was by eurocar parts!

To this end they could get any make of pad and drop it in the mintex or pagid box and i know that euro now do this!!

Ive always been a fan of pagid and mintex for that matter but the last set of Pagid pads i had for my car which were actually 135i calipers were aweful, so in the end i got a set of OEM Jurid ones from Germany!

Im not not too sure anymore of what you are actually getting when you by oem type pads

I would stick to BMW stuff unless youir going for some performance pads and to be honest you dont need them on the back.

id check so see whats at fault 1st..could be the rear shoe springs have come loose.

I wouldnt buy anything till youve checked.

I find the Diesels need a harder pad as they are so heavy up front, and they are very under braked as std.

I dont find the red stuff pads an issue at all when cold, our M5 uses the yellow stuffs which are harder again and even they are not too bad,

I agree about the higher end Mintex pads also being fine, along with the Ferrodo DS2500 and 3000 range, they are also very good.

You need something quite hard though as they will fade under hard use otherwise. But the biggest issue with hard compound pads is keeping the damn wheels clean :unsure:

I used to use a really hard Hawk pad in my Cossie with big 355mm 6 pots, I wasnt cleaning brake dust off the wheels, it was swarf from the discs :o So obviously harder pads are naturally more agressive on discs as well which needs to be taken into consideration on a road car.

Edited by james@ M Developments

Mintex, the name, i believe was bought by GSF like Pagid was by eurocar parts!

To this end they could get any make of pad and drop it in the mintex or pagid box and i know that euro now do this!!

Ive always been a fan of pagid and mintex for that matter but the last set of Pagid pads i had for my car which were actually 135i calipers were aweful, so in the end i got a set of OEM Jurid ones from Germany!

Im not not too sure anymore of what you are actually getting when you by oem type pads

I would stick to BMW stuff unless youir going for some performance pads and to be honest you dont need them on the back.

Sorry but this is completely incorrect.

They are made by TMD Friction, who also make Textar and Pagid as well as a few others, and supply a lot of OEMs including BMW.

http://www.tmdfricti...t/brands/mintex

Personally I would just stick to BMW as well though, or as I said in another thread, just let the fitter supply the pads.

Edited by mit

But the biggest issue with hard compound pads is keeping the damn wheels clean :unsure:

GTechniq C5 sorts that problem :thumbsup:

Edited by mjn