Quiksilver_TR

Convert Halogen Headlights To Projector/xenon Headlights

As if you had to ask that when you've quoted one of my posts with a smiley in it :lol:

Just because I can see smiles doesn't mean you can! I see dead people too :cry:

So that's my best option then?

Where do depo lights come from?

And what's the costs involved in a depo kit plus the hid?

Is it really worth it though?!! Lol

OEM is the best option as the quality of the lenses are better than the cheaper aftermarket items but like most things these can be upgraded even further

Depo's seem more available over in the USA, nothing really came up for over here in google - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2326eac61e

Is it worth it? For me a huge Yes as I work nights so I'm always in my car when it's dark outside and the standard halogens are utter gash at lighting up the round, my old E30 had projectors from the factory that put out better light!! so yes it's worth it if you want better performing lights. If it's just for looks then it's only worth it if you can spare the cash.

OEM is the best option as the quality of the lenses are better than the cheaper aftermarket items but like most things these can be upgraded even further

Depo's seem more available over in the USA, nothing really came up for over here in google - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2326eac61e

Is it worth it? For me a huge Yes as I work nights so I'm always in my car when it's dark outside and the standard halogens are utter gash at lighting up the round, my old E30 had projectors from the factory that put out better light!! so yes it's worth it if you want better performing lights. If it's just for looks then it's only worth it if you can spare the cash.

Thanks

If Depo's are only availible in the US then i might not even bother and just upgrade the bulbs!

Thing is E46 lights arent great at the best of times so Xenons would be lovely

Thanks

If Depo's are only availible in the US then i might not even bother and just upgrade the bulbs!

MIT :thumbsup: linked a shop selling the depo at a good price in the UK on another thread, see below

Bimmian is actually US-based I think but they sell in £ which is handy :)

I thought that price was horrendous! Wouldn't even fork out that much to fit Xenons to my new car if it didn't have them already! That said I wouldn't have bought one without purely because they are such a must have item now, you're shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to resale if you don't...

^ Honda did the same on the preface lift civic, Volvo too on their last round of cars. The thing is the reflectors in those headlights would've been design to take hid bulbs rather than halogen on non xenon e46's.

If I was the OP I'd try some decent halogen bulbs - osram nightbreaker pluses or similar first, then decide whether or not to upgrade.

IMO theirs nothing worse than crappy HIDS in reflector headlights

Thanks

Just found Depo on ebay within the UK for £225 deliveried with HID kits from £79 (same seller but can get cheaper on ebay)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-angel-eye-headlamps-headlights-BMW-E46-4dr-01-/250957717065?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6e3ede49

HTH

Charlie

Hi, I am new to this, so I have e46 2005 320ci with halogen lights I believe with the projecter, non xenon, so it being damaged from the front and needing new lights,these are manual not auto lights.

so i bought e46 m3 2005 headlights which are xenon of course. Will they fit straight on? someone please advise, I am a newbie compared to you guys, what would i need to do to make these work. any info would help. Thanks

These won't fit at all, the M3 didn't receive new headlights when it was facelifted. The only lights that will fit are from a facelifted coupé or convertible (non M).

Apologies to bring up this old thread again. Just reading Wash and bungers replies to SB27's post. I am in the exact same boat, Halogen projector lights. Following your comments i have found this upgrade kit, does anyone have an experience with it, or suggestions on something else to use?

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-Stealth-55W-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit.html

Also, if i understand correctly the kit can be fitted fine and will work, but the i would need the auto levelling and washers to make it Legal?

On 6/18/2016 at 14:17, Mainwaring said:

Apologies to bring up this old thread again. Just reading Wash and bungers replies to SB27's post. I am in the exact same boat, Halogen projector lights. Following your comments i have found this upgrade kit, does anyone have an experience with it, or suggestions on something else to use?

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-Stealth-55W-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit.html

Also, if i understand correctly the kit can be fitted fine and will work, but the i would need the auto levelling and washers to make it Legal?

Hi mate, 

How did you get on with your headlights upgrade in the end? I'm looking to do the same thing. 

Hi guys. I really hope you don't mind me posting here, saves me creating a new post suppose! 

I have an E46 3 series 320D touring on 03 plate. The halogen headlights are knackered and need replacing and I was hoping to swap them out for a (used) pair of Xenon Angel Eyes Headlights off a Bmw E46 3 Series Saloon. 

How easy would this be? Are they plug and play or would I need to convert anything for the Xenon to work properly? 

Also I read that you have to have washers installed (which my E46 doesn't have) for them to pass MOT. How true is this? 

Lastly is it worth it or should I just find another pair of halogen headlights to swap out?  

I bought last year some Depo angle eye units from Italy off e-bay for @£225 delivered and they are superb !!

Do NOT !!!!!! use cheap or crap bulbs, I use Osram nightbreakers unlimited next generation  (@"£25 a pair) and they are as good if not better than hid`s which have had their day.

325 2004 cab facelift

Mart.

I bought last year some Depo angle eye units from Italy off e-bay for @£225 delivered and they are superb !!

Do NOT !!!!!! use cheap or crap bulbs, I use Osram nightbreakers unlimited next generation  (@"£25 a pair) and they are as good if not better than hid`s which have had their day.

325 2004 cab facelift

Mart.

1 hour ago, Cheeko said:

Hi guys. I really hope you don't mind me posting here, saves me creating a new post suppose! 

I have an E46 3 series 320D touring on 03 plate. The halogen headlights are knackered and need replacing and I was hoping to swap them out for a (used) pair of Xenon Angel Eyes Headlights off a Bmw E46 3 Series Saloon. 

How easy would this be? Are they plug and play or would I need to convert anything for the Xenon to work properly? 

Also I read that you have to have washers installed (which my E46 doesn't have) for them to pass MOT. How true is this? 

Lastly is it worth it or should I just find another pair of halogen headlights to swap out?  

Firstly no E46 had angel eyes, if you see a set that has them then you know they've been done aftermarket. If you like the look of the angel eyes then thankfully it's actually quite and easy mod especially on the saloon/touring. The headlight lens is clipped on so once removed gives easy access to fit the angel eyes.

Secondly Xenons aren't plug and play, pretty sure the loom is different as you have the ballasts and everything. It CAN be done, though. Once physically swapped you'll then need to re-code the LCM (light control module) to tell it Xenons are now fitted otherwise they'll flicker. Also I believe the shutter inside wont work (for dipped and main beam).

Technically fitting Xenons without headlight washers and suspension levelling sensors is an MOT failure. But from what I can tell, if the washers/sensors aren't there to be tested then they can't be failed. Or at least that's the interpretation that my local friendly MOT station have given me.

Lastly - no.. I wouldn't! lol.

I'd do what Martauto has done and get a set of Depo headlights and retrofit them if you really want an improvement. Otherwise you can buy Xenon retrofit kits where you put a projector inside the reflector bowl, the kit comes with an adapter where it converts the standard H7 wiring to run Xenons. I think a few people have done it.

On 10/02/2021 at 17:51, Cheeko said:

I've done this a couple of times in the past, let me go through it with you (I'm fairly well versed in E46 lighting now).

It's plug and play for the most part, though it will require some coding and potentially some additional wiring for advanced functionality. The wiring looms are the same, plugs are the same.

You have two ways of coding these in - either plug them in and disable the bulb checks using NCSExpert, PA Soft or NavCoder - of the OEM way of doing it is to add $522 to your Vehicle Order using NCS Expert, then setting the factory settings on the light switch module, you'll then have to disable dynamic headlight aim to re-enable the use of the adjustment dial on your light switch.

If you purchase single Xenon headlamps (2.5" lens), that's all you need. If you purchase Bi-Xenon lights (3.0" lens), and want these to function in the way the manufacturer specified you'll need to run two new wires from the back of the headlight switch to the Xenon ballast on each headlight, otherwise the Bi-Xenon shutter will not work for full beams. Unfortunately you can't just run +12V to this to get them working, you need to run the additional wiring. The additional wiring is:

Pin 2 on the LCM plug to the left ballast, pin 36 on the LCM plug to the right ballast. These connect to the centre pin of the 3 pin plug on the Bi-Xenon ballast on each headlamp.

As for functionality - this means that when you pull the stalk towards you, the high beam halogen lights turn on (flash to pass). When you push the stalk away from you to activate main beam, the halogen high beam lights turn on and the solenoid in the Bi-Xenon opens, lowering the shield and increasing the light output of the Xenon. If you don't do the additional wiring, then flash to pass and main beam both just use the halogen H7 bulb.

Washers and self levelling is a bit of a grey area. If you're doing it by the letter of the law, then yes, you absolutely need self levelling and headlamp washers installed. However - is it worth retrofitting? I don't think so - my system leaks constantly, so I've ended up disabling it completely. My car never had self levelling and I haven't retrofitted that either.

I've had 5 MOT's now with disabled headlight washers and no self levelling and have passed all of them with no issue. Studying the MOT regs states:

4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning devices

You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers.
Headlamp cleaning device:
inoperative - Minor
inoperative in the case of LED or gas discharge systems (HID) - Major

The gov site also states for self levelling:

Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.

Reading those - any car registered before 2009 won't have the headlamp washers checked as part of the MOT - an E46 won't be post 2009 so I think it's fine. My car although it didn't come with HID/LED dipped beams from the factory, it also didn't come with self levelling, so I would think that the system can't be checked if it's not installed. If you have a height adjustment dial on the light switch, this must work.

As for is it worth it - absolutely, 100%. The light output from Xenon headlamps is so much better than halogen - I wouldn't want to go back now.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance!

Edited by dontpannic