Sign in to follow this  
Mengwalton

Sub Build

Going to do a sub install in the boot, im planning on having a 12" on the opposite side to the battery (the storage tray thing) on a angle and then the amp in the floor with a perspex cover over the top, problem is I've just been reading all the threads and it seems most go for ski hatch subs, well i don't want to do that, i don't think it looks good and tbh i use the ski hatch occasionally. What now has me worried is the sound deadening between the boot and car, any ideas on what i could do?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Yeh possibly, looks like it might have to go above the battery as theres more space hmmm :/ that's hard though

Simple, take the rear speakers out. You don't sit in the back do you?

No no the sound will be all off then, i like the surround. Its horrible ever tried fading your radio to front only it sounds s**te.

Thx for the idea though

Okay after looking over it all, im going to do a complete floor install as i don't have a spare in the well anyway I have some other equipment in there

No no the sound will be all off then, i like the surround. Its horrible ever tried fading your radio to front only it sounds s**te.

My cars have only had front speakers in them for the past 8ish years.

Sound should be infrint of you not behind you

Exactly.

What! Since when every bose system ive ever owned (I've done loads of home cinemas including my own) have always said side and rear sound proportion is v important and from experience it is sound without rear fwd facing speakers is terrible i like about 60% of the sound from the fronts and 40% rears. I know a cars not a home cinema but surly the principle is the same i know when I fade my setup to fronts only it looses all 'atmosphere' and sounds s**te.

Im not saying your wrong I just don't think it's right however I don't mind being proved wrong :)

Music isn't supposed to come around from behind you like a home cinema audio setup, you don't play music in the car where there's a dinosaur running behind you like in Jurassic Park. If you fade your speakers to the fronts only and it sounds s**t then you either have s**t speakers (or s**t installation of those speakers), or a poor setup (in terms of EQ and amp settings).

Think of a live music gig picture where the band is and picture where the speakers are and none of them are behind you

You're not sat inside a tin bubble at a gig though.

I appreciate that but your trying to reproduce the sound as closely as possible and that can only be done with speakers in front

Look at all the award winning cars at EMMA they all run fronts only

Home cinema/ films is the exception to this as they designed to create an atmospheric soundstage with you sat in the middle somewhere. A decent hifi set up, certainly in home, should be able to place each instrument or singer in position across the soundstage in front of you. The better the hifi and set up the better definition and separation of each element within a wide soundstage.

Don't get me started on Bose.....

I understand that, I've looked into it alot since this topic started.

As for bose in my experience its the best sounding systems ive ever heard definitely the most surrounding feeling the direction of something in the film is the best ive come across, the bass is amazing and the speaker size reduction is amazing.

As for bose in my experience its the best sounding systems ive ever heard definitely the most surrounding feeling the direction of something in the film is the best ive come across, the bass is amazing and the speaker size reduction is amazing.

You need to listen to some proper hifi.

I've listened / had most hifi makes & models tbh bose is the best ive come across b&o ain't bad but too expensive for the quality

True. Bose are garbage compared to real high-end stuff.

Go for the ski hatch, I had one done looks cool. Sounds better too.. :)

P1040815_zps6a4c5537.jpg

P1040814_zps66c3eb11.jpg

P1040816_zps96f616b9.jpg

Go for the ski hatch, I had one done looks cool. Sounds better too.. :)

P1040815_zps6a4c5537.jpg

P1040814_zps66c3eb11.jpg

P1040816_zps96f616b9.jpg

Oh man that looks ace!! Im building a floor one atm and shall see how that works out first but that looks mint compared to some of the one's I've seen! Bet it took you a while to make that!

I can't help but agree with Walton on having rear speakers sounds so much better than having all the sound through the front, although you guys are more knowledgable on the subject and if show cars run it, it must just be my standard speakers. Also I just thought as typing this that there would be sound from the back if I had a sub so I wouldn't notice the lack of sound from the rear :)

Good luck with the build though, keep us posted!

Cheers mate can't take the credit for it though I'm afraid. Had it custom made and fitted by K&M acoustics near Manchester. Can still access the spare aswell. There's a couple more pics in the gallery :) My initial idea was also to go for a spare wheel install but the problem with loons is you hardly get any of the bass inside the cabin so I went with what they call the 'high velocity' enclosure instead that way you just drop the armrest and all the sound comes in. Box was only £180 which isn't bad considering it was custom made, trimmed, painted inside, fitted with LED's and installed for that price.

Well its progressing well, just need covering (carpet, unless someone can think of something cool to cover it) and extra holes for the bass to escape.

post-21156-13599095889615_thumb.jpg

post-21156-13599096011641_thumb.jpg

post-21156-13599096166568_thumb.jpg

Are you planning on having some kind of enclosure mounted on to the underside of that floor panel, or just screwed in where it is?

No offence, but I reckon it'll sound gash if you hook it up as is