hh1

Mirror Wiring Problem

Hi all. I am a new member here having not had my e46 for long, have been browsing for a while but now I've signed up so hello :)

Have been searching for a solution for my mirror problem, but cannot find the info using the search function.

The car is an 03 plate 320ci. It has electric and heated mirrors, with the memory seats so the mirrors change with the memory 1,2, and 3. No powerfold.

My mirror had 9(i think) wires going to it, and the replacement I have purchased only has 5. I was wondering if anyone knew if this is compatible for my car?

I have fitted the mirror, but didn't connect the wires yet just in case (the person who ebayed me the new mirror had cut the connector plug off, so it's time to whip out the soldering iron).

Please note I don't have the ribbon type wires.

So in summary my question is, can I solder this new mirror to my loom and leave some wires out while retaining full functionality? (i.e heating, up down left right, and mirror dip when reversing)

Thanks in advance,

hh1

It sounds like the mirrors purchased are after market.

I would plug one in and see what happens before you start cutting the wires, Your model should have the electric fold pre wired hence the extra wires so all you would need to do is purchase a wing mirror switch with the fold button and they should fold.

Then go get some electric fold mirrors from M style...cos your going to want them now any way. You can also get the function coded to your key so they can be folded from the button. Looks Trick, cool and will put a smile on your face when you walk away from the car and blip your mirrors

It sounds like the mirrors purchased are after market.

I would plug one in and see what happens before you start cutting the wires, Your model should have the electric fold pre wired hence the extra wires so all you would need to do is purchase a wing mirror switch with the fold button and they should fold.

Then go get some electric fold mirrors from M style...cos your going to want them now any way. You can also get the function coded to your key so they can be folded from the button. Looks Trick, cool and will put a smile on your face when you walk away from the car and blip your mirrors

Hiya, thanks for the reply. I had a look at M style but the mirrors they have are £223 each!! I can't be affording that however it would be cool to have powerfolds :P

I'm 99% sure the one I bought off ebay is a genuine BMW mirror, but think maybe it's from an earlier/later car. Am wondering what the extra wires on my ones are for. I read somewhere the two black wires are for the heating, then I'm guessing the other 3 are for the movement of the mirror. I doubt there's any difference in wiring for the memory mirrors as that's probably a signal from a memory module maybe the one in the door.

Unfortunately I can't plug the mirror from ebay in as the previous owner had cut it off instead of taking the door card off and unplugging it properly :/

I will try and solder it together and see how I get on, I'll put some pics up later.

Cheers

There is a DIY on here for retrofitting different mirrors I think. Well it might not be a DIY guide, it might just be a thread, but basically there are a few different types of wiring and you either have to just get the right ones or you get a headache.

Why did you replace your mirrors out of curiosity? Are the new ones (supposed to be) electric fold?

Am thinking to just send it back on the basis he has cut the connector off.

Ragtop Steve ; I only need the passenger side, how much do you want for it if you willsell it by itself?

Am thinking to just send it back on the basis he has cut the connector off.

Ragtop Steve ; I only need the passenger side, how much do you want for it if you willsell it by itself?

Fella,,,,,,,,i will never fit them back on the car so you can have 2 for 1, so make me an offer

I think there's a DIY either on here or e46fanatics of someone who has transplanted the inners.

Here you go:

Some interesting info from Matt here - http://www.e46zone.c...240-m3-mirrors/

For M3 mirrors the following is true (guessing it would be same for all 12 pin non M ones too)

1.red

2.green

3.gray

4.brown

the glass heating element uses

5.black (or brown)

6.black

memory function uses

7.orange

8.pink

9. thin white

autofold motor uses

10. thick white

11.thick blue

I'm confused with what I suspect is a pretty simple question. My E46 2001 325i has a 6 pin flat white connector. My replacement E46 mirror has a 12 pin connector with 9 wires.
My 6 pin is: black, black, green, red, grey, <blank>
On my 12 pin I have
orange/green/white (which I tape off)
green/red/grey (which I map to the 6 pin)

I'm left with black/black/brown off the 12 pin ... I have black/black remaining as connections on the 6 pin ... what connects to what?

Thanks,

Filippo