Red320cd

Ecotune 320D Exhaust Does Not Fit !

Hi all,

Was involved in the very recent Ecotune GB for a decat D/pipe but decided to go the whole hog and purchase the mid and rear sections as well.

Long and short of this is that the D/pipe touches the floorpan and does not seeem long enough, the hangers for the centre section are in the wrong place and the rear box seems to be too short as the pipes can only be made to stick out from the rear diffuser when it is virtually falling off the end of the centre section.

This probably all stems from the fact that the d/pipe seems to be too short in the 1st place but until you start to hang the rest of the system you do not know.

Phoned Stan today and got a recorded message saying "away on business until the 27th" .

Fooking great, no exhaust on the car now, well pi$$ed off, and already owe the guy who was/is fitting it all for me for a load of wasted time.

Potential customers please be warned.

Are you 100% sure you ordered the correct one?

Only heard poor reviews from early batches to do with the lambda sensor, nothing really about fitting.. Can't really blame him for being out of the office to be fair. He's got a business to run..

Can you not fit the old cat back to the car? I know it's a PITA but it's the luck of the draw sometimes..

Without sounding stupid, if the front bit is too long and the back bit too short and the brackets for the mid section are in the wrong place...........have you tried fitting the mid section the other way around?

Just a thought

Ok, little update.

Finally got it all sorted, bloody nightmare.

In the end had to heat and re-bend as some of the original bends were too acute, this had the side effect of lengthening it as well.

Still had to cut off 1 x bracket on the mid section and re-weld on 50mm further back.

At least I have spoken to Stan who has asked me to send him more info and pictures, he is as baffled as I am.

At the end of the day it cost me at least twice as much to get it fitted as it should have done and that is with a garage I know very well doing it (so sort of mates rates).

Bloody glad I did not start this job on my own driveway as I would have been completely screwed.

Potential customers please be warned.

May I be impertinent enough to suggest that warning potential customers off of a product that we have never had negative reviews on previously is somewhat unfair. All 320d exhaust systems are built on an actual 320d with perfect mounts (including engine mounts) to ensure 100% perfect fit for all of our customers. I do not doubt that there were issues in thisncase and complaining is not fun but despite covering the cost of the modifications you had made we still believe the time tested part to have been correct and that it is more likely that a mount or otherwise was out of position on the car.

This exhaust system does not fit the cabrio or the compact models.

The downpipes are made in a steel jig and every pipe is 100% identical, if they were too long we would have 100's of complaints.

Please be aware that any Ecotune customer will always be met with a satisfactory solution to any complaint, in this case we could not exchange a modified part therefore we assisted in the cost of the adjustments. It is unfortunate when a customer feels they need to publicly blame the time tested and well reviewed part without first giving us the opportunity to address the concerns. Please be assured that we remain comitted to maintaining the quality of our parts and of course the Ecotune reputation. We do not like to have to defend ourself online but in a case as negative as this I feel we really had to give our perspective on the matter.

Best wishes

Stan Ward

Ecotune UK Ltd

Ah.. .the 2.5" bore pipe... I didn't realise you were selling them?

If you test the two pipes side by side on the dyno you will see a loss of power of around 4-6hp with 2.5" bore.... Seems like a controversial idea but the VNT relies on exhaust gas speed to perform correctly. 2" is ideal up to 285hp on the M57.

If you have a hybrid turbo with 60mm wheel then the 2.5" is just the job....

Thanks for your most helpful input :-)

Final update on this thread.

Stan, as you were informed (IIRC), ALL the mounts were/are in perfect condition as since I bought the car every engine mount/gearbox mount has been changed.

The exhaust that I removed was OE BMW parts all the way from turbo back and it fitted perfectly.

I do appreciate the fact that Ecotune did indeed cover the extra costs of modding the exhaust you sent me and perhaps I should have got on here to say that you had and apologise for forgetting to do so, however the part did not fit and needed considerable adjustment to make it fit, nothing can change that fact.

On a good note, the car is transformed power wise with the turbo spooling up so much quicker and holding on to the power band for longer before dropping off.

Edited by Red320cd

If you test the two pipes side by side on the dyno you will see a loss of power of around 4-6hp with 2.5" bore.... Seems like a controversial idea but the VNT relies on exhaust gas speed to perform correctly. 2" is ideal up to 285hp on the M57.

Eh? Where did you get this theory from? If you are going to make such a nonsensical claim, please put some plots up showing this. I'd be interested to see this, as I'm sure would everyone else. Thanks

I really don't know where manners have gone these days, perhaps I have been away from this forum for too long but those who have owned their BMW diesels for long enough may remember we were the first to dyno develop exhaust parts on the e46 models and they are not simply stainless steel pipes, we tried various designs with reduction nozzles after the turbo (like 320d pipe) and bore diameters and were as surprised as most with our findings. After all it costs less than £10 extra to make the part in 2.25" or 2.5"... Bigger is not always better. The copies and bandwagon parts soon followed... Some are blatant duplicate attempts. We were pleased to see the bigger bore pipe offered as it was clearly just a pipe with no testing done whatsoever... But this is old news now.

I'm sure a lack of manners from one member isn't a reflection on all and we would as always be delighted to discuss and demonstrate our findings again to anyone who has a polite interest.

I am delighted your car is going well for the upgrade Red320cd, we remain bewildered as to what happened in your case but the most important thing is that your car is right and you found a solution locally :-)

Best wishes,

Stan

Edited by Stant1man