Jorge-

Driving To, And Parking In Canary Wharf

I know there is a few londoners on here.

I'm driving to Canary Wharf this Saturday for the weekend, specifically the Hilton Hotel.

I want to avoid congestion charges going across London so will be going around the M25, but whats the best route (coming from Derby > M1)

And, its £25 to park at the hotel but I hear that it is actually free on most roads around there on the weekends. Can anyone confirm, or point me in the direction of a cheaper carpark. It will be from 10am Saturday until 4-5pm Sunday.

Thanks.

IIRC you may be stopped and searched on the way in to the Wharf (depending on the local of the Hilton), I went there a few years back and they had a quick look over the car and opened the boot etc

Also IIRC the congestion charge is not active on Saturdays so you ll be fine

Edited by Trickster

There's no congestion charge at the weekend.

It will be very hard finding parking around Canary Wharf, especially in the free spaces. There are hardly any of them and they are all a bit of a walk away from the Hilton. Not much nearby. Try Westferry Road, you may find some there. The areas that have free parking nearby are all pretty dodgy..

There's a car park at West India Quay that'll cost you about £10 or £12 for the day. Also the car parks in Canary Wharf are free for a number of hours at the weekend if you spend £20 in a shop or restaurant in the area.

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/news/council_news_-_dont_edit/april/idoc.ashx?docid=f93db60f-85ce-4a85-b0fe-2b83c6f5774e&version=-1 < map of free parking in Tower Hamlets

Edited by mit

I thought that may be the case. Probably just best to pay the £25?

I'd try the West India Quay car park. It's fine in there and a 5-10 minute walk (or hop 3 stops on the DLR).

But depends if you're going to be parked up the whole time or if you're going to be in and out of the car park also.

The car park where I keep my car is expensive during the week (£28 per day) but from 1.30pm onwards it's £2 for the whole of Saturday and another £2 for the whole of Sunday (including before 1.30). About 20 minutes by DLR from where you're going.

Edited by mit

Easiest solution with central London I found is take a train and use public transport.. Leave the car at home dude!

Otherwise if I had to drive there/back i'd drive, park at hotel and leave it until I left. Tube's are great and I personally think he only public transport service in the UK that even semi-works! lol.

No way man, I drive everywhere! It's much easier! You just have to accept that parking costs money. Except Canary Wharf lol, it's cheaper and easier and faster for me to get the DLR from home to here (9 minutes) than it is for me to drive (£11 per day plus petrol)!

Edited by mit

No way man, I drive everywhere! It's much easier! You just have to accept that parking costs money. Except Canary Wharf lol, it's cheaper and easier and faster for me to get the DLR from home to here (9 minutes) than it is for me to drive (£11 per day plus petrol)!

Thats just you Mit! :P

For us normal folk from't North 'ere, public transport is easier!

Admittedly just about every time i've been to central over the last 5years (apart from last time) I drove everywhere.. :ph34r:

But let's not focus on that.. lol

If its just a day I can speak to my cousin and you can use his car park in a gated building at canada water just one stop on the thamesriver boat to canary wharf and the boat stops a few walks from his let me know and I can give him a shout

Using the best phablet ever

I live a 5 minute drive from there...

Jump on the M25 from the M1 heading towards the dartford crossing, then turn off on the M11, the M11 then turns into the A406. At the bottom of the A406 (beckton roundabout) go westbound towards the city and its the turn off after the isle of dogs.

There is a car park opposite but i charges a bomb, call the hotel as they may have a car park or you may get a discount for the car park opposite.

Dont be tempted to park on the street as there is security that tow cars away 24-7. Also the streets aren't as rosy as they look, the whole surrounding areas are filled with scum!

Theres a few decent bars and restaurants round there and its a pleasant place to stay but there are a fare few idiots.

You could park in my company car park opposite the hilton, next to the old audi garage. It has a barrier with a padlock on it and i would be happy to give you the code....

Seems like there are still a few decent people around :)

Setting this to automatically delete if your car ends up in a container going to Albania :L :P

You could park in my company car park opposite the hilton, next to the old audi garage. It has a barrier with a padlock on it and i would be happy to give you the code....

You are an absolute legend if you wouldn't mind?!

Thanks everyone. I didn't like the idea of parking on the road but my dad tried to assure me that its a good area.

Train - £90 each

Driving at most - £50 each inc fuel and parking

A mate's at Derby uni and gets the train down quite often for less than a £10 or £20 normally. I can ask for details if you like?

For the record, I hate public transport! Just thought it might be cheaper? (And slower and more cramped and full of screaming kids, drunks, smelly people. . . )

Nice offer from James there though - much better than being stuck in a train!

A mate's at Derby uni and gets the train down quite often for less than a £10 or £20 normally. I can ask for details if you like?

For the record, I hate public transport! Just thought it might be cheaper? (And slower and more cramped and full of screaming kids, drunks, smelly people. . . )

Nice offer from James there though - much better than being stuck in a train!

haha i totally agree. thats why i used to take my car too uni.

better than taking the train. hate trains lol

You said you're approaching from the M1 right?

So your easiest 2 options are either take the M25 round to the M11, then down the M11, A12 and you're pretty much at Canary Wharf, or take the M1 all the way down to A406, then round the A406 to A12, and you're pretty much at Canary Wharf again.

A406 is the route I'd take pretty much any time of day from that area (The M25 way will probably take longer), but another option if traffic is light is to come down to the A406, round the A406 to the A1, down the A1 until Highbury Corner, then take A1200 Canonbury Road to Old Street, then follow congestion charge ring road to Aldgate, then take A13 Commercial Road to Canary Wharf. This is the route I take from that area to home, and to drive from my place to Canary Wharf takes about 10-15 minutes even during the morning rush :)

There's no congestion charge at weekends but the congestion charge ring road is well optimised for traffic flow so tends to be a good route at weekends when it's lighter.

Yeah the sat Nav says this

I presume you say the default route? With the M11 being alt 1.

post-2910-13621410713251_thumb.jpg

Ill go the default route then I think.

post-2910-13621411325219_thumb.jpg

£17 in fuel is hardly bad either. And that's based on 50mpg, when ill probably achieve more like 54.

The default route is pretty much the one I described as the alternative that's viable if traffic is light. What time do you expect to arrive at the bottom of the M1?