Jamie330d

330D 6 Speed Conversion Completed :)

I asked a while back about what I needed to convert my 330d estate from a 5 speed to a 6 speed, this is how done so advice for anyone thinking about it, it's NOT worth it lol!

To make it work you need:

6 speed gear selector

6 speed clutch

6 speed gearbox

6 speed propshaft

Wire

Gearbox mount

Essentially it's a straight forward job, just swap the box ect you will need to change the clutch as its got twice the amount of splines on the first motion shaft, the dual mass is the same, you will also need to cut the reverse light sensor wire and extend it as the 6 speed one is further back, the gearbox mount for under the floor is also different from the 5 speed one so this needs to be changed aswel, also cruise control doesn't work in 6th.

Hope this helps anybody going to attempt conversion

I think it could be made to work in 6th with the cruise control but iv not yet tried i only done the conversion today, I may try putting it on the computer at some point to see if its do able, I didn't change my dual mass just left my 5 speed one and it drives fine in all gears

Edited by Jamie330d

The car will drive in 6th at 50 just above idle.

I can see that it makes sense if your doing a lot of motorway driving, apart from that it seems like a lot of graft for

little gain.

How does the car know what gear it's in

ECU knows, speed vs revs, when I had my AVC-R in my 200SX you calibrated it so it could tell which gear you were in, so you could run different boost in different gears

If so I have everything to convert except the roller bearing for inside the crankshaft, pedal box and slave parts if anyone's interested, I got all my parts cheap through people I know and keeping my ear to the ground, the parts are hard to come by for 6 speed though, total cost roughly for a garage 6-700 I done all the labour ect my self and got cheap parts so mine came in at about 400

Edited by Jamie330d

:@ dual mass on it's way out which is annoying! I knew it needed replaced when the car was stripped for conversion but due to time had to put it back together anyway :(! Oh well new DMF only £310 so not to bad but need to fit it through the night Saturday night into Sunday morning :(

Edited by Jamie330d

Its a piece of cake to take box off - prob do flywheel and clutch in a couple of hours tops.

Rich - bear in mind theres 2 different DMFs dependant upon engine etc. 184bhp version is considerably cheaper than our one.

ECP do a LUK DMF for the 204 engine for the price of.........£525!!!

But they do have 35% at the moment.

I can get it for around £350ish normally anyway I think - cheap though that

Edited by L333JSA

According to luk the fly is the same for 5 and 6 speed, its from a trade only parts supplier in edinburgh, I have checked my reg and a 6 speeds reg and they say its definitely the same fly wheel 256.88 + vat I have a 204bhp engine here as a spare with a fly on it(fcuked) il compare and take pics of them all together

Edited by Jamie330d