Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

In between rain showers: dried out the interior, fitted the speedo, refitted the dash (twice), fitted the ECU, dried out the interior, refitted the speedo with all the connections made this time ( :ph34r:) , wired up the cruise control, ran some audio wires, refitted the dash, fitted the door looms (and stopped a leak in the process), made the electric windows and sunroof work.

About an hour or two's work, but rain halts play too often. Next job (tomorrow?!): secure wiring, refit driver's seat, drive to dry lockup and make better process.

How many dashboards do you have? ^_^

Two :) Hopefully one soon, if I can sell the spare.

I kept either knocking it out of it's mountings, or needing to remove it to run wires (like the massive plug for the overhead check panel) behind it :(

Not today but yesterday. Stopped at some Services in Denmark when the GF asked me to get something out of the boot. Starting removing cases when one of the loose bottles of beer exploded! I heard the bottom of the bottle explode and 500ml of German beer went all over the contents of the boot.

Mopped it up best i could and we carried on. Its going to be another 2 days before i'm home and have chance to clean it out. In the mean time, the car is sat in the sunshine, getting nice and warm in the boot.......

That plug seriously goes behind the dash? Surprising.

I don't recall seeing it running around the front ;)

There's a gap between the dash and the a-pillar where wires run for the sunroof, and the check panel. The wiring for the map mirror lights seems embedded within the cavity of the a-pillar itself.

also the car is booked in for a recall on the passenger airbag... Quite a productive Saturday morning.

Booked mine in too, and at the same time their 'routine maintenance check' which is on offer at 30 quid including a litre of oil and interior/exterior clean, window buff etc. I wanted to see what one of their guys would find looking over the car but it's worth it based on the other bits alone.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, installed an Erisin double din head unit, hvac relocation panel and Rainbow fronts at the weekend. Found that someone had done a horrifically bad install of 3-way BSW speakers in my car, so was very satisfied to get rid of that, and luckily the Rainbows sound much better. There is still no bass from the fronts, there is no air volume for them to work in so a lot of people have cut their doors to provide it. Currently trying to decide whether I'm up for it.

This weekend: reverse sensor replacement (currently constantly beeping, all 4 tick), oil change & oil level sensor (lamp on for 5 seconds every engine start despite level OK), research transmission & diff oils

Mistook the radio for the speaker in my phone.

The E46 has an awful radio! (Even with a pre-out modded HU, an amp, and Hertz speakers) :(

See above regarding no air volume in the doors on the coupe. To get the full range out of the fronts, people cut a hole in the inner skin of the front doors & it apparently makes a huge difference. If i decide to do it, I will take photos! Not as scary as it sounds but it's still something that can't be reversed.

Doesn't surprise. An amp will bring out the best in your speakers. Head units don't have the guts. [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

How many dashboards do you have? ^_^

PMSL I thought the same thing.

Great commitment TriggerFish, you can do all that in an hour or two??? :thumbup:

Well, once I'd spent about an hour on goggle/looking at my old photos trying to work out how it all went!

If I'd have thought it through properly, it would have taken a fraction of the time, as I wouldn't have needed to keep repeating steps :(

Replaced some stuff, added to the to-do list and had the alignment set.

Stuff = both lower arms and bushes, both front drop links and the left headlight washer. The right arm was replaced last year and that was the one which put up a fight and was most worn. I only got the outer ball joint nut loose a few turns before it jammed solid. So off with the brake caliper, bracket and disc and out with my trusty old hacksaw... All good fun.

Getting a knocking noise from the front. While braking. Looks like either th3 wishbones are gone or wishbone lollipop bushs.

Might refresh the ARB too. Should I go polybush or meyle HD. It's for a e46 m3 vert. Lowered on coilovers.

Also picking up a set of csl reps for winter. They are my old alloys I had on the car when i bought them.

Edited by sive s

Decided today that I am going down a different look for the car.

So sadly to say ac schnizter are gonna be sold. Csl reps will be used for now. Other set has been ordered. Ready for next year.

Ordered a bulb from BMW to illuminate the E30s analog clock - £4! :o

Thought you the OBC in yours?

Another thing I would suggest, whack a couple of LED bulbs to replace the candles used behind the instrument cluster. Makes a huge difference driving at night.

(If your'll be using it at night?)

Na, I'd love an OBC, but I've not seen one at a sane price.

I've got both an analog clock, and a digital one, but the digital one is hideous!

MeesterPieter428.jpg

I've put brand new bulbs into the dash cluster, and when I was checking the illumination last night, they seemed OK. I quite like a dull interior at night - I usually whack the E46 to full dimness, so I think LEDs would be wasted*.

Yeah, it'll be used at night. Driving at night on a warm, clear night is so peaceful, I love it.

*I reserve the right to change my mind in a couple of weeks time!

Your right the digital does look awful. Didn't know they did a digital one other then within the two OBCs.

Did that the other evening, got the E30 out for the first time in a month.

Windows down, county roads, straight six noise

Put an anti-glare screen protector on my Kenwwods' radio fascia so I can read the bloomin' screen now.

I really know how to live the exciting life !

Where did you get this from? I have the same problem.

Put an anti-glare screen protector on my Kenwwods' radio fascia so I can read the bloomin' screen now.

Me too, please share!

Me too, please share!

If I'm honest it hasn't helped as much as I wanted - theres something odd about this stereo - the only time I can see the screen clearly on a sunny day is to put my hand over the top as a sun shade. I was thinking of getting some light grey tint on all the windows and rear lol !

Anyway - I basically got a film that is meant for a phone and cut it to size: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0087HFNZA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Edited by The_judge aka Suf