Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

Had Autoglass out to replace the windscreen. No luck. They brought a patent part rather than OEM. And they didn't put it through my insurance, so wanted to charge me £1073.40!

Dropped it off at BMW for some lovely free bodywork :)

I was going to ask them if they could do the airbag recall whilst they had it in but the body-shop guy I was dealing with brought it up before I had the chance, so far a much better dealership experience than I've had before.

Not much, I've had a slow puncture since I bought it but it's not worth repairing and it's been taking a week so it's been no bother... So finding that it's gone down overnight was a nasty surprise this morning so I took the bus to work...

Also my rear shocks and Meyle HD top mount/bump stop kit arrived, just got to get that tyre changed (may as well put the winter's on) and order the washers I need from the dealer to fit these shocks. The old washers are not re-usable.

My 15mm spacers arrived so I got them fitted. They looked amazing. Then rubbed when I drove it home so I turned around and got them removed.

Brand new 15mm spacers with longer bolts, £35 posted anyone??

My 15mm spacers arrived so I got them fitted. They looked amazing. Then rubbed when I drove it home so I turned around and got them removed.

Get them machined down mate to 10-12 mm they will be fine

Brand new 15mm spacers with longer bolts, £35 posted anyone??

It's served you well though hasn't it Joe?

I also have a slight suspicion that you've wanted it to go for a while now :huh: but it just keeps coming back.

Yeah, it has. Be a shame to see it go tbh. It's been on several holidays with me, and was our companion all the way to Russia and back. Plus, I've not ordered a replacement yet, and there's a couple of month lead time on bmw factory orders! I'm sure a battery charge will fix it. Still, least its only a mile from home, so I can wait in the warm for the recovery people! Edited by TriggerFish

It will crank, but not fire. It often needs cranking for 10+ seconds to start...

It won't start with the battery disconnected either, and connections striaggt to the e30s battery. When i do this, the lights etc just do weird stuff and start turning on at random. All very odd. Recovery firm should be here by 2300

Strange.

What's the plan for when it is finally time to say goodbye to it, will you be braking it?

I can think of better ways to spend my Tuesday evenings, although 11pm isn't too bad, if they actually make it to you by then.

I dunno - I'm just sat watching tv - same as normal! :lol:

Yeah, break it. Much more valuable in parts with stuff like hsds, good 330 brakes, two seats of wheels, bixenons, rear sun blind, etc. Vs a 330d with failed diff bushes, 240k, and a lot of arch rust!

Edited by TriggerFish

It will crank, but not fire. It often needs cranking for 10+ seconds to start...

In tank fuel pump or crankshaft position sensor I reckon. Non starts are very rarely caused by something terminal. Very worst case scenario could be low compression or slack cam chain knocking the timing out. Doubt it's either of the latter though, even with the relatively high miles.

Cheers! It sounds like a fair bit of hassle but definitely worth it, now the nights are getting darker you really do notice it, I never had to use my main beam in my E30 (which had xenons) but in my E46 I seem to be blind without it come 9pm.

In tank fuel pump or crankshaft position sensor I reckon. Non starts are very rarely caused by something terminal. Very worst case scenario could be low compression or slack cam chain knocking the timing out. Doubt it's either of the latter though, even with the relatively high miles.

Good points! It needed jumping to get to the vets, but wouldnt start after. Jts9only a short distance, so i hope its just a very very dead battery. I don't want the hassle of fixing it again!