Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

Put the roof down.

Then spent an hour looking for my iPhone.......it turns out that my phone was on the roof before I put it down.

I did that with an iPad earlier this year.......roof was ok, iPad not so good :)

Put the roof down.

Then spent an hour looking for my iPhone.......it turns out that my phone was on the roof before I put it down.

Lol!

Did vanos seals and changed spark plugs. Took it for a bit of a drive and feels good. Was bricking it before turning it on after putting it back to together.

Oh and put the rear interior back together after ripping out insulation and flash taping it last week.

Found that the rear top mount was not the cause of the noise, must be some interior trim so I have a roll of felt tape on the way.

Also washed the car and tried some cheap tyre black that I was given... Its tripleQX stuff and is okay really, certainly for free :thumbsup:

All serviced and ready for winter...oil all filters changed/plugs/water pump/thermostat/new belts/fresh fluids/front poly bush bushes/front minted discs and pads...and hard top on ready for winter E4241615-2917-474C-B25F-43D608D8141F.jpg

A brief summary of my weekend's efforts.

Air filter - Simple, a 5min job and well worth doing.

Oil and oil filter - The drain plug is a fair way back, meaning that the car needs to be pretty high, but overall pretty straightforward. 6L out, 6.5L in.

Coolant - Drained from the blue radiator plug only, as I couldn't find the header tank bleed, and wasn't going to get far enough under to drain the block plug. Easy enough, and well worth a quick flush before refilling, judging by the colour of what came out of mine!

Fuel filter - An absolute f**king pig of a job, that none of the online guides prepare you for. The shield can only be partly detached (3/5 screws), meaning you need to bend it out of the way which makes access frustrating. All three short rubber fuel hoses had welded themselves to the filter and hardpipes, and my vacuum/breather had perished and collapsed in my hand. None of the guides tell you that one of the rear pipes will constantly leak fuel until blocked, meaning I needed to bung it while I went to pick up replacement rubber hose (having hacked the originals off) and find a replacement breather connection. Then I incorrectly reconnected the two rear pipes (my fault), meaning that the car wouldn't start and it required rejigging.

Sparkplugs - One for another day. Whoever at BMW thought that needing to remove the bloody cabin filter housing to access the rearmost plugs was a good idea deserves to be shot.

Overall, a productive weekend. But a lot of time wasted on something that most online guides rate as "pretty straightforward".

Fuel filter - An absolute f**king pig of a job, that none of the online guides prepare you for. The shield can only be partly detached (3/5 screws), meaning you need to bend it out of the way which makes access frustrating. All three short rubber fuel hoses had welded themselves to the filter and hardpipes, and my vacuum/breather had perished and collapsed in my hand. None of the guides tell you that one of the rear pipes will constantly leak fuel until blocked, meaning I needed to bung it while I went to pick up replacement rubber hose (having hacked the originals off) and find a replacement breather connection. Then I incorrectly reconnected the two rear pipes (my fault), meaning that the car wouldn't start and it required rejigging.

Sparkplugs - One for another day. Whoever at BMW thought that needing to remove the bloody cabin filter housing to access the rearmost plugs was a good idea deserves to be shot.

Overall, a productive weekend. But a lot of time wasted on something that most online guides rate as "pretty straightforward".

Fuel filter shield should come off with undoing all the little bolts, done my filter twice now, fairly easy job and yeah make sure you have the new filter ready to fit to save fuel going everywhere. Unlucky with the pipes that, i always find a pair of pliers and gently grip and twist the pipes saves them from tearing etc.

Cabin filter and housing is a 2 min job involving 3 torx screws and uncoupling the cable holder along the front, couldn't be any easier to change spark plugs on these, granted its not like an older car but i find the E46 a fairly easy car to work on except for the rear subframe setup, whoever designed that wants shooting!

Fuel filter shield should come off with undoing all the little bolts, done my filter twice now, fairly easy job and yeah make sure you have the new filter ready to fit to save fuel going everywhere. Unlucky with the pipes that, i always find a pair of pliers and gently grip and twist the pipes saves them from tearing etc.

Cabin filter and housing is a 2 min job involving 3 torx screws and uncoupling the cable holder along the front, couldn't be any easier to change spark plugs on these, granted its not like an older car but i find the E46 a fairly easy car to work on except for the rear subframe setup, whoever designed that wants shooting!

That's odd, because I couldn't locate the two(?) front bolts for the life of me. They seemed to be tucked up behind the front subframe, unless I was being really thick.

There was no way in hell my rubber pipes were coming off, no matter how much twisting or manipulation was employed. Even when they were hacked to death, the remainder still needed to be scraped off the hard pipes! I would expect it's been a while since the filter was changed, if indeed it has ever been done - however, it wasn't a BMW branded filter, so I didn't know what to think.

The cabin filter seemed like a lot of faff to me, so I left it well alone. Perhaps I was being a bit defeatist after the fuel filter debacle...

Ordered Meyle HD control arm bushes and front brembo discs and pads, Second pair of Pagid have warped now - with garages in the local area saying that Pagid are toilet.

Hopefully I can solve this brake judder once and for all!

I've hit past 134k since a month of owning it... that means I've done 1k already

In the same position with mine. It was on 57.5k when I picked it up on the 18th August and I am now coming up to 61k..... Ouch!! I hate adding miles to this low mileage beauty:)

I've hit past 134k since a month of owning it... that means I've done 1k already

In the same position with mine. It was on 57.5k when I picked it up on the 18th August and I am now coming up to 61k..... Ouch!! I hate adding miles to this low mileage beauty:)
11k in the year. Now up to 54k. Haha

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Oh no... always sounds worse when it has low miles.

I think once it's already high you want it to go as high as possible for a sense of achievement i guess