Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

Ordered the E30 new fuel lines to run from the front to rear, a new splash guard to come some mud out, and new circlips to hold the pistons to the rods. I think I've got everything I need to start rebuilding its engine now - I just need to wait for it to turn up. Hopefully the replacement of these pipes will see the E30 to a legitimate clean sheet MOT in the spring - not like the clearly crooked ones it's had the last few years.

I also sprayed the exhaust manifold at the weekend. I'm not sure this is the 'silver grey' colour I was expecting, but it looks a bit better than 'rust brown'! I also resprayed the anti roll bars in a nice shade of chav red too. It's a terrible job, but it looks better at a glance than peeling powder coat and rust!

2016-01-31%2012.44.44.jpg

2016-01-31%2014.24.58.jpg

22 hours ago, BmEagle said:

Meant to post yesterday. Finally sorted the wheels after many months deliberating refurb or different 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Where'd you get them done?

Today I got some flappy paddles and a cheap chinese android unit.

Bought & fitted new Halogen headlamps. Now I can bloody see at night. Tried more carrots...fail . So ECP did a wicked deal of £77 all in on new lights. After 208,000 motorway miles mine were shot. Not the Verts Xenon standards granted but a MAJOR improvement!!!

Following a failed MOT I was toying with the idea of selling/scrapping it but decided after 2 years of ownership that I still love the car and if I could do the work myself, it'd be worth saving.

Well it took me 3 days on the driveway with my limited skills & tools but thanks to 'how to's' & YouTube changed.....

• brake discs
  • Pads
  • Handbrake shoes/springs
  • front wheel bearings
  • lower arm control bushes
  • drop links
  • electric mirror switch (not MOT Requirement)
  • idler pulley  (not MOT Requirement)
  • tensioner pulley  (not MOT Requirement)

I've probably saved upto £500 in labour costs and feel pretty chuffed with myself ^_^  I now have another year's MOT :cheers:

I'll probably spruce her up a bit in the spring by getting the wheels refurbed and sort out the wheel arch rust.

28 minutes ago, The_Judge_ said:

Had an accident, again ....

Thats the fourth? Considered incontinence aids to help with the advancing age? ;)

But srsly, I hope everyone and everything is ok?

10 hours ago, TriggerFish said:

Thats the fourth? Considered incontinence aids to help with the advancing age? ;)

But srsly, I hope everyone and everything is ok?

All ok thanks :)

On 5 February 2016 at 21:19, The_Judge_ said:

Where'd you get them done?

Today I got some flappy paddles and a cheap chinese android unit.

Meant to post yesterday. Finally sorted the wheels after many months deliberating refurb or different 

first aid wheels. They are in London nw6 

Had a very annoying rattle(330d) at low speeds over bumps for a while. Very metallic noise sounding like a shield under the car. Half assed attempts at finding it a few times till today. It was the brake dust shield on the drivers front wheel. Looked at forums both here & elsewhere for reports of hub off & quoted £50.00 plus to fix plus parts.

Well, wheel off checked it at over & yep cant get the bugga off easily. Its now 3.20pm so not a time to start such a job in rain & failing light so............how can I bodge it for now??

Piece of pee really.....TY28 TY RAPS! These things are AWESOME little fellows for ones toolkit!!! One looped round the base of the shock & through the hole in the top of the shield. Second one on the bottom of the shield & looped through the bottom arm! All things move together so no worries. Nowt rubs owt so happy days!

Total labour time to affix shield.....around 15 seconds! slow I know but never done it before! Cost errr f%*k all!!!!!

R.Bostin!!!! 

11 minutes ago, MICK 330 said:

Well, wheel off checked it at over & yep cant get the bugga off easily. Its now 3.20pm so not a time to start such a job in rain & failing light so............how can I bodge it for now??

Mine's rubbed the wheel in the past (usually after I've had the wheels off). Always solved it with a screwdriver through the spokes deftly applied to the rubbing part. Total cost? £0 :)

Popped round to my local mechanic and used his ramp.  Removed the undertray and confirmed that my red intercooler boost pipe is leaking :(  BUT, the autobox was also covered in oil.  Traced the leak back to the inlet manifold.  Hopefully it'll just be a seal or two.  Fingers crossed.

Lets see how good the BMW Warranty is :unsure:

On 2/6/2016 at 10:43, Craig_09 said:

Good job there SlamE46, always better doing what you can yourself so you can take your time and do everything correctly! 

Have you thought about painting your wheels yourself? Do 1 wheel at a time to keep your car mobile! 

Heres a set I've recently done (2nd set)

Nice job Craig :)

I did do one wheel myself about 18 months ago but the corrosion came back through and it looks the same as the rest now! (obviously I didn't do a good enough job myself or the acid wheel spray they use at the car washes have broken my finish down :().

Being M3 replicas they're more of a pain in arse to do than yours but if finances are tight in the spring and it warms up a bit, I may consider having another go.

What spray paint did you use and did you put a clear coat on?