Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

I think what summed the 116d up for me is the irony of the iDrive having 'sport displays' that show the BHP and torque. They top out at 120bhp and 220lb/ft. That's not how I define sporty!

You don't need a handbrake with a manual either :)

I just leave mine in gear - not like it's going to roll away - trying to push start mine has convinced me of that! If it's on a hill, turn the wheels full lock and leave it be.

1 hour ago, TriggerFish said:

Just got the call from BMW... Throttle cable is on long term back order with no date. 

They can't fit non genuine parts, do its down to me to fix :(

When my inlet manifold was on "6 week backorder" they provided me with a loaner. Are they not giving you a loaner?

Part price refund instead. There's no due date (common with older parts). 

I'd rather fit another part myself (10 minute job) and keep my car than wait for an unspecified length of time. Especially if the loaner is a 116d! It's only a second/summer car, so not too urgent anyway. 

Not impressed with BMW tring though. Surely yoyd check part availability before taking on the job given they knew the car was 27 years old!

Getting a video telling me the new tyres and brakes I fitted didn't need changing was helpful though...

Yesterday I fitted a 4300K 50W HID Xenon light kit to the projector's in my 'Vert, from SSDD Motorsport. I hope the kit remains reliable, it's got a 2 year warranty on the ballasts and one year on bulbs. If it does go through bulbs fairly quickly in the future they're cheap enough to replace, around £15 a set I think, which is about what I would spend on a new set of Nightbreakers every winter so no big deal.

It was tricky to remove the bulb clips, fit the new bulb's wire through it, and refit the clips, due to the tight space inside the headlight. Other than that itwas fairly straigfhtforward, I spent a bit of time sticking the ballasts down well and making sure the wiring was tidy with no potential chafing spots.

Quite happy with the results, the colour is perfect for me, no hint of blue. I just need to check the beam pattern and alignment to make sure it's not dazzling for other dirvers.

HID on the left, Nightbreaker Unlimited on the right:

20161202_123932.jpg

These shots show the difference in 'lighting up power':

20161202_124035.jpg

20161202_124118.jpg

Edited by Tim-Ci

19 hours ago, dunk1 said:

If i keep my 330 i really do need to upgrade the headlights as they are crap

Best thing i did with my lights is have the headlights wet sanded and machine polished up to remove in perfections then i installed a set of phillips racing vision bulbs and had my mot guy set my lights at highest position they could legally go. Mine use to be candle lights pointing down, now they are really bright and the cut off point can be visbly seen like that of hids.

Edited by R11CH

Strange happening!

In Jan 2014 I posted that my key fobs had packed up. Since then ive (it would work for a day then pack up) tried a couple of times to re programme them to no avail!

This week its been bloomin cold as we all know & getting the key  in the lock has been a challenge lol. Any how the lock now has something broken on it. A nasty tink tink tink noise inside the door while using the key spelt impending doom! Now being a tight git I didn't buy a new fob back in 2014...being a lazy old git I didn't fancy getting the door apart to fix the lock! Laziness wins (& its cold!) every time so ordered a key(£140.00)!

Imagine how I feel now that the OLD bloody fob ( yep just one more try...) has burst back into life & has worked fine for the last 3 freakin days!!!!!!!! New key arrives tomorrow!!!!!

Bloody Unbelievable!!!!!!! lol

Maybe this should go in the RANT section?

Edited by MICK 330
missed a bit

1 hour ago, MICK 330 said:

Strange happening!

In Jan 2014 I posted that my key fobs had packed up. Since then ive (it would work for a day then pack up) tried a couple of times to re programme them to no avail!

This week its been bloomin cold as we all know & getting the key  in the lock has been a challenge lol. Any how the lock now has something broken on it. A nasty tink tink tink noise inside the door while using the key spelt impending doom! Now being a tight git I didn't buy a new fob back in 2014...being a lazy old git I didn't fancy getting the door apart to fix the lock! Laziness wins (& its cold!) every time so ordered a key(£140.00)!

Imagine how I feel now that the OLD bloody fob ( yep just one more try...) has burst back into life & has worked fine for the last 3 freakin days!!!!!!!! New key arrives tomorrow!!!!!

Typical! It always seems to be the way! Is there any chance of a refund?

1 hour ago, MICK 330 said:

Strange happening!

My lock did brake £4 rebuild kit off ebay job done when it turns up 

3 hours ago, Foe said:

Typical! It always seems to be the way! Is there any chance of a refund?

Ha sods law says no mate as it turns up tomorrow. No chance but if mine goes back on the blink ill be ok so bugga it. You forget the bliss of a working remote lol.

Yesterday I boxed up the engine after making up new brake lines and fitting in the engine bay, not an easy job! Today I've filled up the coolant and moved the car onto ramps so I can get under the rear end.  -5 degrees outside though so I gave up after getting the rusty pipes out! :wacko:

8 hours ago, mjn said:

Noticed the rear tyres are finished, oops.

mines nearly caput also.goodyear eagles,ive had two sets on on about 14 months,god i hate my car for this ha ha 

6 hours ago, rasa said:

mines nearly caput also.goodyear eagles,ive had two sets on on about 14 months,god i hate my car for this ha ha 

I've had my rears for 6 months :D

HAHA

Picked up my new key from Shrewsbury BMW. Nice old boy kinda asked ME about coding it to the car lol. I said you've forgotten how to code them to which he just smiled. So I made him code it & guess what chaps...he couldn't do it! I stupidly thought this would involve a computer of some description but NO. Just plain old re programming like we all have to do. So ....I did it my bloomin self! No discount though lol. Then new key would open/lock the car but would not start it? Old key in to start the car then switch off & New key back in & hey presto car started....which I thought was weird & I was right to be wary of this. See my new post as ive never heard of these shananigans before about buying new keys.

Dribbled as some dude road tested a black M2 .What a lovely noise!

Edited by MICK 330
missed a bit

16 hours ago, mjn said:

I've had my rears for 6 months :D

yeh,im putting uniroyal rs3 on the rears as they are good tyres and the cheapest decent tyre out there,i have them all round on my st,they have 5mm left on the front from around 4k miles,they are great in the wet and decent in the dry although side walls alittle soft,they are £57 each delivered from ears tyres,and when i factor in £10 a corner fitting,then they are pretty good value compared to some tyres out there.i already have them on the front of bmw,but fronts last ages on bmw anyhow.

Edited by rasa

On 12/4/2016 at 06:25, R11CH said:

Best thing i did with my lights is have the headlights wet sanded and machine polished up to remove in perfections then i installed a set of phillips racing vision bulbs and had my mot guy set my lights at highest position they could legally go. Mine use to be candle lights pointing down, now they are really bright and the cut off point can be visbly seen like that of hids.

i uprated the bulbs and they're better but still not great, the lenses are in pretty shape.

i've bit the bullet and ordered a HID kit

Edited by dunk1