Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

Ah fair enough I guess the tyres/suspension/remap could all explain why the DSC is a bit frisky on a bumpy road. If you do check out the things I mentioned then I guess at least you'll know the DSC is working with proper data and your alignment is okay.

Edited by Tim-Ci

Not been here for a while but finally got around to doing the Valve Cover Gasket. Took me longer to get the old gasket off the cover than it did to do the job as it was basically brittle plastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replace the Off side inner tie rod. I must say it was easy enough job, but didn't realise how much this rod impacts the steering so much. Just need tracking no.  And finally replaced both front wings! 

Before and after 

_20170521_221714.JPG

_20170521_222413.JPG

Edited by Foe
Big gap

16 hours ago, Foe said:

Replace the Off side inner tie rod. I must say it was easy enough job, but didn't realise how much this rod impacts the steering so much. Just need tracking no.  And finally replaced both front wings! 

Before and after 

_20170521_221714.JPG

_20170521_222413.JPG

That's quote a difference, must be nice not having to look at that damage any more :-)

So yesterday I did the following;

Oil, fuel and air filter change. 

Replaced the FSR that was a faff! But I still have a humming sound from the front of the dash, sort of behind front vents. Annoying! 

Also changed the pollen filter and also an oil change. 

10 hours ago, Foe said:

Do you have a guide for the shift bearing? 

Rough guide, but you should be able to figure it out:

1. Remove interior trim bits so you can see the cup/bearing.
  2. Jack up car
  3. Locate the gear shifter mechanism under the car (I had to move the heatshield slightly to give myself proper access
  4. Remove the clip that goes over the end of the shifter rod coming from the gearbox and slide this out of the gear lever. At this point, the gear lever is now from from the gearbox. 
  5. From above, remove the gear lever/bearing from the holder (I smashed mine with a screwdriver and hammer)
  6. Insert the gear lever into the new bearing (this has to be done first! I forgot, and spent ages trying to coax the new one out of the bracket without breaking it)
  7. Push the bearing/lever combo into the holder.
  8. Go back under the car and push the shifter rod into the gear lever, and then push the little clip over the end of the shifter.
  9. Replace trim/heatshield.

I spent most of my time fixing the c**k up in 6, and manipulating the heatshield (made much harder by only jacking up one corner too!)

12 hours ago, Foe said:

No idea why this 'Foe said' bit is still showing! :/

1 hour ago, TriggerFish said:

Rough guide, but you should be able to figure it out:

1. Remove interior trim bits so you can see the cup/bearing.
  2. Jack up car
  3. Locate the gear shifter mechanism under the car (I had to move the heatshield slightly to give myself proper access
  4. Remove the clip that goes over the end of the shifter rod coming from the gearbox and slide this out of the gear lever. At this point, the gear lever is now from from the gearbox. 
  5. From above, remove the gear lever/bearing from the holder (I smashed mine with a screwdriver and hammer)
  6. Insert the gear lever into the new bearing (this has to be done first! I forgot, and spent ages trying to coax the new one out of the bracket without breaking it)
  7. Push the bearing/lever combo into the holder.
  8. Go back under the car and push the shifter rod into the gear lever, and then push the little clip over the end of the shifter.
  9. Replace trim/heatshield.

I spent most of my time fixing the c**k up in 6, and manipulating the heatshield (made much harder by only jacking up one corner too!)

Nice guide bud :).

Today, I have mostly been enduring torrential rain while changing all my badges :)

IMG_20170606_091750_zpso8fgjial.jpg

IMG_20170606_094518_zpskoilwpov.jpg

all mini related is that allowed :thumbup:

Replaced and coded Air bag ECU (stupid mini )

Replaced track rod ends x2 (F*&^ing Mini)

Replaced Balljoints X2 ( god I hate this car )

Replaced wheel bearings x2 ( with a passion )

Replaced  Handbrake cable 

Replaced Font and rear discs & pads.

So thats that thing through its mot this year.  Thank god its the Mrs Car 

did I mention that I hate Mini's :lol::lol:

At least I can now get back to the Coupe 

6 minutes ago, Tim-Ci said:

Sounds good Bob. I was thinking I might do mine for more precise steering at some point.

Did you get the bushes only and press them into the aluminium housing, or did they come as an entire assembly?

I ended up buying the powerflex bushes pre-installed into the lollipops as I didn't have a press to push the old ones out. Glad I did because the old ones looked like they would've been an absolute bugger to get out the lollipops. I bought mine from some guy on eBay, I think theres only a couple of sellers who do the pre-installed ones on there.

Cheers, I recently replaced my Meyle HD ones with OEM barnd Lemforder ones, as one of the Meyle ones was coming apart and I had got a vibration at about 50mph as a result. I think there might be a bit less steering feedback with the Lemforder ones, with the Meyle's it wasn't that great to be honest either.

I will have a look on EBay and see what Powerflex ones I can find. A bit more steering feel would be great. I've got the front toe almost neutral so the car should be sharp at the front end, but it doesn't seem to go around small roundabouts very sharply, I'm hoping the Powerflex bushes might help with front end bite. I know the front tyres are smaller so this does cause the car to want to understeer, but I think (hope) there's still room for improvement.

Edited by Tim-Ci