Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

Yeah, I'll be keeping a close on eye on it over the next few days. No steam out the back, so I think I got away with it. It never made it into the red part of the gauge, and when I pulled over, the pipes were incredibly pressurised/solid, suggesting nothing had burst (otherwise I figure the pressure would have escaped?), so I think it's ok.

thanks for the heads up though. It's a mistake I (hopefully!) won't ever make again!)

I know! I'm guessing that that's the first time his crappy Vauxhall has ever been in a position to overtake anything, and then the excitement got to him, and he crashed...

Or he's just an idiot! (Sam, it was on the A418 from the Bugle Horn/Stone to Fairford Leys/Aylesbury, if you're wondering (which I doubt you were!))

That did make me chuckle!!!! 

What a complete Numpty!  Sorry but for me.....its a real shame there was no big Ditch or post etc to collect him/her!!!!! lol

I took my car in to the garage to have the prop shaft donut,center bearing replaced,when i got it back it was clunking and vibrating so back it went,and the rear joint at the diff end needed doing as grease was flying out! Finally got it back perfect !Got some beers for the guys,i wasnt charged labour on the second visit just the part (£215),anyway the total cost was £600 all bmw parts. Just glad to have it sorted its my daily. Today i fitted new rear brakes discs/shoes/shocks/springs as one was broken.Its been an expensive few days.

330Ci M-sport Vert...Fitted rear springs & shocks front pads & roll bar bushes.

Genuine rear springs dont seem to last as im on my 3rd set in 30,000 miles &  4.5 years which makes me unlucky in my book lol . When you guys fit these Eibach springs or similar do they last or do those buggers break as well?? 

My 330d  SE  Touring is now on 245,000 & only on its second set. The last time one broke though it snapped in the middle not the bottom & cor blimey did it go BANG!!! LOL.  Ive done 180,000miles in it.  Is it just the m-sports that suffer? 

13 hours ago, MICK 330 said:

330Ci M-sport Vert...Fitted rear springs & shocks front pads & roll bar bushes.

Genuine rear springs dont seem to last as im on my 3rd set in 30,000 miles &  4.5 years which makes me unlucky in my book lol . When you guys fit these Eibach springs or similar do they last or do those buggers break as well?? 

My 330d  SE  Touring is now on 245,000 & only on its second set. The last time one broke though it snapped in the middle not the bottom & cor blimey did it go BANG!!! LOL.  Ive done 180,000miles in it.  Is it just the m-sports that suffer? 

That sounds really unfortunate Mick.

I changed mine for Eibach Pros recently, and the rear ones were original I believe. I'm fairly sure my service history is complete, it mentions a front spring, and rear shocks, but not rear springs. The original (I think) rear springs on mine were in a bit of a state at the bottom, very rusty, but hadn't quite broken yet, at 13 years / 155,000 miles. In your position, I'd be wondering whether there is something else causing them to break prematurely, or whether the quality of the springs supplied by bmw now has gone down, or even if they are supplying the wrong ones - there are multiple combinations of rear springs with a different number and colour of stripes on them.

Talking of the Eibachs, I got the 'vert full set for about £115, link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Federn-BMW-3-E46-Limousine-Coupe-Cabrio-Touring-E2067-140/142653740889?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They have a MILLION MILE WARRANTY so even if you just have the worst luck for springs snapping, then you could get free replacements in future. I must say that after fitting the springs, and adjusting the front camber slightly and toe, the handling seems a lot better, softer ride over smaller bumps, and less body roll - it steers a lot better too! They are progressive springs so have a soft part of their travel and a stiff part. Next job for me to sharpen it up a bit is to replace the front lower steering joint for about £100 in parts.

The only downside to the eibachs is that front sits a bit lower, about 15-20mm, so the front aero spoilers under the bumper catch on my driveway. That said the front did sit too high visually before so it looks better now. The rear has a negligible drop but I think that's partly becuase my old springs had sagged over time, so compared to relatively new spring I imagine you'd get a 10-15mm drop on the rear.

You can see in my signature picture below how mine looked before on M Sport springs, the driver's side was even lower at the rear.

Good luck with it Mick.

Edited by Tim-Ci

My 04 330 vert is still on the original springs but its only done 73k 

I had an issue with the roof the other day not wanting to open and the 

red light flashing between the open & close buttons, its fixed itself and working 

fine today so not sure what that was, a sticky censor perhaps ?

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:12, dunk1 said:

My 04 330 vert is still on the original springs but its only done 73k 

I had an issue with the roof the other day not wanting to open and the 

red light flashing between the open & close buttons, its fixed itself and working 

fine today so not sure what that was, a sticky censor perhaps ?

Mine wont fully open using the remote lol It gets 50% there then the rear hatch cover try`s to close before the roof is stowed fully away lol....panickkkk:D Red light flashes & after a few trys the roof finally behaves using the switches(not remote). :mad:

10 hours ago, MICK 330 said:

Mine wont fully open using the remote lol It gets 50% there then the rear hatch cover try`s to close before the roof is stowed fully away lol....panickkkk:D Red light flashes & after a few trys the roof finally behaves using the switches(not remote). :mad:

Mines all good now and works as it should off the key or the buttons in the car 

The filter housing gasket/seal failed a couple of days ago, it split and oil everywhere on the inlet

side of the block, cleaned up the mess as best as we could and changed the seal. 

Sailed through the MOT yesterday and only 1 comment from the tester that there was a tiny bit of surface 

corrosion on the rear brake pipes, straight onto the ramp next to it and sorted :)

Looks pretty good under there for 15 years old and 75600 miles