Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

5 minutes ago, Ashley1995 said:

Picked up my subframe from the sandblasters. Good job, fast turn around and primer'd for £30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to remove? 

I've got free access to an engine crane now, so can make a start on my engine bay :)

5 minutes ago, Ashley1995 said: Picked up my subframe from the sandblasters. Good job, fast turn around and primer'd for £30

Easy to remove? 

I've got free access to an engine crane now, so can make a start on my engine bay :)

4 bolts... Plus two for the engine mounts.

But that's after removing the steering rack, anti roll bar, and lower control arms.

I've stripped the whole lot to replace everything anyway so easy for me. Used the crane to take the weight of the engine.

Renewed the insurance

£260 Fully Comp with Business and all the extras

Nice!

I found business use was under £5 more. A friend at work said it reduced his premium. Weird!

Cheers, Ash. I'm not screwing with the steering rack again, and while I'm doing the bushes, the wishbones are staying, so the subframe won't be coming off any time soon :) Cheers though!

Took my stiiifff accelerator cable off at the throttle body.Uncliped it all the way to the bulk head.

Held it up and sprayed loads of WD40 down it. Pulled it back and forward for about 10 mins .

Connected it all back up .Bingo A lot better but a wee bit notchy .It will do for the meantime.

Car fells better/faster YAHOO!!!! 

Sprayed up my subframe and left to dry in front of the fire.

There are some finger marks where it wasn't as dry as I thought but you won't be able to see these once installed

Before

31857ae8435e06eb677270124bc3cb12.jpg

After

740ec287b3d09bacebb95f594f1a0a80.jpg

You know, Redditch charges a fair bit for subframe removal and powder coat :)

Edited by mjn

Nice fire!

I dropped the E30 engine off to a very nice chap in Wales (16th country visited for 2015 :) ) for some work. Should be done in a week or two. This work will come to roughly £500, plus another £200-300 in parts (bearings, rockers, piston rings) + ~£300 on a cam shaft (not forgetting the original £250 for the engine). It adds up depressingly quickly, and around Christmas time too. I just hope the power increase is worth it!

Woulda been cheaper to throw in an M50/M52, but then, it doesn't look original, and there's nothing to say that won't be worn out either...

Nice fire!

I dropped the E30 engine off to a very nice chap in Wales (16th country visited for 2015 [emoji4] ) for some work. Should be done in a week or two. This work will come to roughly £500, plus another £200-300 in parts (bearings, rockers, piston rings) + ~£300 on a cam shaft (not forgetting the original £250 for the engine). It adds up depressingly quickly, and around Christmas time too. I just hope the power increase is worth it!

Woulda been cheaper to throw in an M50/M52, but then, it doesn't look original, and there's nothing to say that won't be worn out either...

That's a whole lot of work!

I guess the good thing is your guaranteed a working, running engine by the end of it.

What sort of power you expecting once complete?

Shoulda just dropped a V10 in there :D

A V10? I've heard they bolt right in. As easy as changing a headlight bulb! :D (I had to buy a whole new headlight for mine as the cap had seized on, so maybe there's some accuracy there...)

As long as I don't screw the head over with an airlock when bleeding the coolant, yeah, it should be good and healthy :) I think the only old moving part will be the oil pump (and possibly valve springs), otherwise, it's all refreshed/polished/replaced.

It'll be running a high compression (not sure quite what yet, but I'd guess between 10.8:1 - 11.*:1, depending on skim and headgasket used), and with a mild 272 degree cam (the graphs in this thread http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85675&page=5 make me think mild is better, plus a higher duration cam can cause piston:valve clearance, which I CBA with). Power ETAs somewhere around the 200bhp-220bhp mark, I think.

I should have higher compression than all these: http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/E30_Dyno_Graphs#M20B28

It also seems like the ideal time to fit a Z3 short shift, refresh all the bushes in the gear selectors, and fix the weeping oil seal on the 'box while it's all out of the car. I'm trying to save for a house, but this car + my impatience isn't helping! I'm drawing the line at lightening flywheels though!

Meh fast classic car or house.... I'd have the E30!

Certainly done your research then! Impressive stuff.

Z3 short shift is on my list to do as well, hoping to get some more power out of mine but without spending so much.

Not sure how yet though

Fast, slow? If it moves at all I'll be happy! :lol: There's some fairly nice(ish) houses nearby with driveways and a decent sized garage that's just about affordable, but I need to start pulling my finger out - I'd rather have the E30 right now, but in a year or two's time, I'd be done with living at home. I don't want a flat (risk of loud neighbours and lack of i3 charging :ph34r:), otherwise I think I'd have gone by now.

There's not much cheap that gives more power really. A new chip, maybe, and a decent manifold + BBTB, but even then, I think you're looking at under 20bhp for several hundred £££. :( People say getting injectors refurbished is a good bet, but when I had mine done, there were practically as new to start with, so it was a complete waste of £££, except for piece of mind. 

Bolted the steering rack back on to the subframe. May be easier to re-install this way as it was a PITA to install to the frame on the car.

143f2f2000b1e30f1b5acd41f19f7bfe.jpg

Rolled one of my arches. Didn't go well!

We used it as a test before doing a friend's Mark 1 scirroco. Seems bette. To destroy mine before scraping it than his arches.

Rolled one of my arches. Didn't go well!

We used it as a test before doing a friend's Mark 1 scirroco. Seems bette. To destroy mine before scraping it than his arches.

E46 i presume? Fancy doing the E30 but don't want to ruin them

Yeah, e46. My e30 ones are done already :)

The rolling is easy, it's protecting the paint that's a skill, it seems

On 05/12/2015, 22:00:50, TriggerFish said:
On 05/12/2015, 22:00:50, TriggerFish said:

Putting an M50/52 in an E30 is just wrong, it doesn't belong there!

Replaced the boot handle on the saloon the other day as it was knackered.  Full of water, had all ready came of another car, number plate light holders were burnt out and wiring was shot. Piked up on the bay from Latvia for 89 quid, it was primed so quick spray and lacquer before fitting. Also had false rear bulb out warnings sorted the earth out on the rear light clusters. Multiplug earth pin can`t take the load, easy fix. 

Replaced the boot latch/actuator this morning as well. It works of the key but still got the boot open warning on the dash and no boot interior lights.  Looks like I`ll be stripping the loom looking for broken wires between the tailgate and the car the next dry day. 

Drove from Edinburgh to Rotherham to pick my sister up yesterday, 9 hrs non stop.  Car never missed a beat, only used 3/4 of a tank for 500 miles.  Not bad for a 154000 miles 330d for £2000.  The wiring at the back is doing my head in though lol, might just order a new loom.

Still struggling with being unwell but managed to sit in my car for 20 minutes and swap over all the interior lights to some new LED ones that finally arrived. And I must say that they look excellent! I fitted rear plate LED's too (which look good) but the boot lights were the wrong fit. Oh well. 

And I finally took the front number plate off (and the plinth to clean it all up) and remounted my new plate perfectly square to cure my OCD... well happy. Then back to bed and try and get better before seeing the family at Christmas. 

On 20/12/2015, 19:46:53, Zonda_ said:

Replaced it with a 430d M Sport Gran Coupe after it turned out the subframe was cracked.

Pictures..!!

Parked it next to something a bit special

image.thumb.jpeg.567e0a871a3c7e832794e666b892aec3.jpeg

Signal Green? Chris Harris has just bought one this colour I believe!

That's a nice green.