Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

Thanks Foe..... ;)

But sadly they don't do one for the 323i... But luckily I found a FAI Part that does for a pound cheaper...lol. :D

Edited by MangoMan

Cut the brake disc dust covers off the 330d.I tried ty rapping them which lasted a few months at a time then the rattle came back. It got on my Tits once too often so they had to go! Then full service. Now at 216,000 & fingers crossed still going strong.

Started the interior strip down - headlining, seats, door cards, rear carpet all removed. Dash, front carpet and parcel shelf tomorrow. The scrap yard calls ever closer! :(

Machine polished a few marks out of the paint work today, worse being this one

a547d4c8dea5af0b6bd023324d1f1216.jpg

Looks like a previous owner used a Brillo sponge to remove some bird poo

586f1ecad193303b763cc26a02c7e5bb.jpg

All better now :) and while I was at it I gave the engine bay a quick detail too

0200c593b19327d36519d32442903b79.jpg

f570ef7f1729a3e595993c47461a9ebf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had oil & filter change and new plugs which lead to discovering that I need a new rocker gasket well the rings to the plugs as oil getting past them and fuel filter I bought was wrong one need later one that is £ 35 more :o :blink:

Adjusted the onboard computer MPG calibration using the DIS diagnostic (was about 3% optimistic I think), then took it out for an hour for a drive.

After spending most of my spare time tinkering with this car over the last year, as it had been a bit neglected and I'm a bit OCD with it, it was very nice to enjoy the car.

It's on 145,000 miles now, but drives beautifully. The M54 3 litre engine is a very good engine that completes the package, the car has no real rattles, drives very well, is comfy, looks good still.

I was blowing out the cobwebs a bit along with some gentle cruising, and it made me grin in a way not many cars have done. It gave about 35mpg over 20 miles, cannot complain at all. I love the way the engine has a bit of a sporty exhaust sound to it when pressing on, but in the higher gears over 4000rpm it also has the turbine smoothness that characterised some of the older 6 cyl BMWs (I'm thinking E30 320i here), and feels a bit like a jumbo jet gathering speed without fuss.

So in conclusion a nice bit of quick work on the car first thing in the morning followed by an even nicer drive.

Edited by Tim-Ci

Swapped on my winter wheels. Tried to fix the reverse rake, in so doing sheared the strut bolt, so had to cut it in half through the split in the hub, weld a nut on the end without a head, extract that with a socket, and then punch out the other end. 

Still got reverse rake :(

_DSC5710.jpg

Put it up for sale.

Washed it for anyone wanting more recent photos too.

;'(

Anyone knows of anyone interested, feel free to give me a shout.

(330CD M Sport Manual Silver Grey FSH / Standard / Swirl flaps removed etc etc 145k, South East)

Gave it a wash while it was mild and dry... I don't think the roof will be coming down much more this year.

20161115_125725.jpg

I'm going to try and tackle some scuffs on the rear bumper using the ChipEx kit tomorrow, if the weather is okay.

Also found the perfect tool for cleaning in the grooves on MV2 wheels, 1" foam brushes:

s-l1600.jpg

Like these ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181837605754?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=480786344053&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Tim-Ci

Kerbed my n/s/f alloy this morning bad

Then did it again while pulling off,half asleep

Not a good start to the day

I did nothing to mine for a year after the refurb then did all 4 in the space of 2 weeks :angry::unsure:

Yes one of those grrr moments. I refurbed mine recently with FullDip (rubber paint basically).

I kerbed an alloy about 2 days later, it was the first time in ages I'd scuffed one. Luckily after 5 minutes with some masking tape and a piece of carboard I touched up the scuff with the FullDip, is invisible now. There was loads of prep in 'dipping' the wheels as mine were in a state, but the painting iteslf only took a couple of hours per wheel.

Tracked it's fuel up after a run to London and back - the first real run for this car since I bought it. The dash said 54.6mpg, which I was pleased with. The brim to brim maths said 42 mpg. Considering all the traffic encountered, and a diversion off the motorway due to a crash, it's not too bad, but disappointingly inaccurate. My previous 330d was about 3mpg/10% out.   

33 minutes ago, TriggerFish said:

Tracked it's fuel up after a run to London and back - the first real run for this car since I bought it. The dash said 54.6mpg, which I was pleased with. The brim to brim maths said 42 mpg. Considering all the traffic encountered, and a diversion off the motorway due to a crash, it's not too bad, but disappointingly inaccurate. My previous 330d was about 3mpg/10% out.   

You can recalibrate the onboard computer. It's worth checking things like your injectors and MAF readings are okay first, by seeing the live data on a diagnostic and reading for fault codes.

There are four ways I know of to recalibrate the onboard computer:

Older E46s (cars built pre-about 2002):

1) Enter the onboard computer diagnostic mode, post #8 in this post from another forum explains it: http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=102673

They make it sound more complex than it is, go into section 19, unlock the OBC, then go into section 20 and use the calculated new calibration value to change the value stored. I would simply use the formula (Actual MPG / OBC MPG) * current calibration value to get the new calibration value.

2) INPA - I think the option is in one of the sub-menus under instrument cluster.

Older E46s AND Newer E46s: (~2002 on):

3) Use DIS - there is an option under service functions to change the calibration. You need to enter values for the real MPG and OBC MPG in l/100km for it to calculate the new calibration (convert them online?).

4) USE NCS Expert. There's a value for "KALIBRIERFAKTOR_VERBRAUCH", which is the factor. Again use (Actual MPG / OBC MPG) * current calibration value to get the new value to use. I have not tested this on my 2005 E46, it may only work on the earlier ones - so backup your files before modifying.

I'm quite lucky, mine was 3% optimistic on a recent half tank of fuel, but I've changed it now using DIS, so next time I go on a long run I'll see how accurate it really is. I think it's probably easier for the petrols to compute the MPG as they have a lambda sensor so know the fuel mix more accurately than an E46 Diesel.

Edited by Tim-Ci

Awesome, cheers! 

I will INPA the injectors/MAF, but based on the way it goes, I think it's OK (in the damp, even with winter tyres it'll wheelspin while rolling in anything less than 4th with heavy throttle application!). My DIS doesn't work anymore as it won't talk to the diaghead, and I've had no joy fixing it. I know my way around NCS, so will have a look at that once I've done some more distance and got a feel for the real error margain.

Edited by TriggerFish

Good luck with it....

I once had problems connecting with DIS and turning off windows firewall sorted it. It was fine after reinstalling though, I keep Windows Firewall on now. Mine always give one diagnostic error when I start it up too, but if I click on the button all is well after that.

I'm scared of NCS so DIS was the ideal option for me.

You might even be able to change the calibration in INPA whatever year yours is, as yours runs the Diesel ECU and not the one mine uses. Either way, the option willl be in there and you can see if it will allow you to enter it, on mine it won't.

Tim, do you know if it's possible to recalibrate the range reading on the obc too? 

I don't unfortunately. However, if the fuel gauge works in a roughly linear way from full to empty (no issues with senders), car runs okay with less than 1/4 tank of fuel (pump okay), and the OBC is accurate then I can't see the range being to far out.

I would have though that the range figure is calculated using the fuel tank 'fullness', and average mpg over say the last 20 miles, or something like that.

If your OBC is well out that would upset the range figure I reckon. It is worth checking the injectors and MAF readings using a diagnostic as I think problems with those will upset the MPG calculation on a Diesel. If your OBC is accurate then I can't see faulty injectors or MAF causing the range issue.

Edited by Tim-Ci

9 minutes ago, Tim-Ci said:

Good luck with it....

I once had problems connecting with DIS and turning off windows firewall sorted it. It was fine after reinstalling though, I keep Windows Firewall on now. Mine always give one diagnostic error when I start it up too, but if I click on the button all is well after that.

I'm scared of NCS so DIS was the ideal option for me.

You might even be able to change the calibration in INPA whatever year yours is, as yours runs the Diesel ECU and not the one mine uses. Either way, the option willl be in there and you can see if it will allow you to enter it, on mine it won't.

Tried all the firewall stuff. I think it can ping too (not that proves anything, of course). Either way, I don't like DIS - I find that the scary one! I need to change something else in NCS anyway as I changed a stupid setting and my wipers keep parking themselves vertically when I turn the car off, and the BFD kicks in most of the time and my 3rd brake light is usually flashing away. Opps!

Bamse, I'd expect that they use the same value - I'd suspect that range = calculated MPG for last * miles x litres/gallons remaining :)

7 minutes ago, TriggerFish said:

Either way, I don't like DIS - I find that the scary one! I need to change something else in NCS anyway as I changed a stupid setting and my wipers keep parking themselves vertically when I turn the car off, and the BFD kicks in most of the time and my 3rd brake light is usually flashing away. Opps!

You're brave, and illustrated the point very well - that's exactly why I'm scared of NCS!!! :D

P.S. the thrust of the 330D sounds good. I've come to the 330i after loads of Diesels (mostly about 100-130bhp so not that fast), and most of the time I'm very happy, but I imagine the 6 pot Derv surge is very nice indeed.

Edited by Tim-Ci

Cheers. My range always starts off wildly over estimated and gets more accurate until I get to about 1/4 of a tank and then, as long as I don't change my driving style, it's pretty spot on. 

9 minutes ago, Tim-Ci said:

You're brave, and illustrated the point very well - that's exactly why I'm scared of NCS!!! :D

P.S. the thrust of the 330D sounds good. I've come to the 330i after loads of Diesels (mostly about 100-130bhp so not that fast), and most of the time I'm very happy, but I imagine the 6 pot Derv surge is very nice indeed.

Ah, it's just a case of taking a back up of the files first in case it does go wrong. Just submitting a valid, but undesired value in NCS is easily reversed - I'm not too sure how you'd use it to actually break the car, although I'm sure it's possible! And knowing I've got a spare 330d I'm breaking I can swap modules from relieves any pressure too :D 

It is nice (if a bit peaky at times, a weird map, I think), but it's nowhere near as smooth and luxurious feeling as the M54 petrol engines.

Fair enough. The only time I've dabbled in NCS I managed to set all my comfort settings to default, because I didn't really know what I was doing. I understand it a bit more now but I prefer a nice user interface so I can't inadvertantly do anything stupid.

Yes the 330 engine is nice, a smooth power delivery and some grunt, with a nice noise, and fairly reliable on the whole. I think the noise is what makes some drives have a sense of occasion. You do have wring it's neck a bit to make progress though, a bit "V-Tec Yo!", but not too bad, get it above 3000rpm and it lifts it's skirt a bit. It's poor on fuel around town and on short journeys (about 20mpg), but pretty good on a run for what it is, I quite often see around 40mpg at 65-70-ish.

I've been in an E30 6 pot though (320i), about 20 years ago, and the noise they make is loads nicer, from memory.

Edited by Tim-Ci