Sam

What Have You Done To Your Car Today? Volume 2

Not sure what type of rattle it is Benj83, but the heat shields over the manifold cats can rattle. If it is a tinny type of sound they could be responsible.

When the engine is STONE COLD try seeing if there's any play in them, and if you can push them onto a hard surface with minimal clearence. If there's a hard surface fractions of a millimetre behind the heatshield in any place they could be vibrating onto it when the engine is running. You can bend them around a bit in case any part is likely to be hitting a surrounding part. I found that I disturbed them when changing my O2 sensors and this caused a bit of vibration.

Be very careful that the cats are cold, as I find out the hard way they heat up fast when the engine has only been run for a few seconds, and take a long time to cool down.

You've heard the phrase skinning a cat, well in this case the cat was skinning a human!

Also, good luck finding the air leak. Did you use a lot of sealant on the VCG? - the guide I followed suggested using just a thin smear on the half moon shape sections in front of the vanos, so far so good.

Edited by Tim-Ci

Went to give my xr a wash and give it a look over for its mot 

And some one has done 3 windows and has hit all but two panels with a hammer 

They also did the dor lock and 3 windows on my brothers xr3i too 

So much for it being a secure car port 

13 hours ago, Tim-Ci said:

Not sure what type of rattle it is Benj83, but the heat shields over the manifold cats can rattle. If it is a tinny type of sound they could be responsible.

When the engine is STONE COLD try seeing if there's any play in them, and if you can push them onto a hard surface with minimal clearence. If there's a hard surface fractions of a millimetre behind the heatshield in any place they could be vibrating onto it when the engine is running. You can bend them around a bit in case any part is likely to be hitting a surrounding part. I found that I disturbed them when changing my O2 sensors and this caused a bit of vibration.

Be very careful that the cats are cold, as I find out the hard way they heat up fast when the engine has only been run for a few seconds, and take a long time to cool down.

You've heard the phrase skinning a cat, well in this case the cat was skinning a human!

Also, good luck finding the air leak. Did you use a lot of sealant on the VCG? - the guide I followed suggested using just a thin smear on the half moon shape sections in front of the vanos, so far so good.

Yep those are the gaskets I meant. Really hoping I don't have to replace them because they've fallen apart or something, I'll give that a go, thanks!

As for the VCG, I must've gone wrong somewhere, you can hear it bad enough but if you touch the throttle at idle it struggles down to 500-600rpm and back up. I used a small line on all 8 corners of the 4 half moons. I think I'll go fully round the moon's with a bit more sealant and then hit where the Vanos unit meets the block. Also can't hurt to put a bit in the valve cover itself just to make sure the gasket didn't fall out and sit pissed, but i have no reason to think it did.

21 hours ago, Markxr said:

Went to give my xr a wash and give it a look over for its mot 

And some one has done 3 windows and has hit all but two panels with a hammer 

They also did the dor lock and 3 windows on my brothers xr3i too 

So much for it being a secure car port 

What the f**k?

12 hours ago, Benji83 said:

Yep those are the gaskets I meant. Really hoping I don't have to replace them because they've fallen apart or something, I'll give that a go, thanks!

As for the VCG, I must've gone wrong somewhere, you can hear it bad enough but if you touch the throttle at idle it struggles down to 500-600rpm and back up. I used a small line on all 8 corners of the 4 half moons. I think I'll go fully round the moon's with a bit more sealant and then hit where the Vanos unit meets the block. Also can't hurt to put a bit in the valve cover itself just to make sure the gasket didn't fall out and sit pissed, but i have no reason to think it did.

The heat shields don't seem to corrode much luckily.

I would probably be checking that all the valve cover bolts are all nipped up tight (well not too tight I imagine it's easy to strip threads as the bolts are small).

If it's not a poorly seated VCG, I'm wondering if something else has been damaged during the work - for example the plastic CCV pipes can get quite brittle over time.

Can you try pushing down on various parts of the valve cover with the engine running, to see if the sound changes at all? Might help confirm it's the VCG leaking.

46 minutes ago, Tim-Ci said:

The heat shields don't seem to corrode much luckily.

I would probably be checking that all the valve cover bolts are all nipped up tight (well not too tight I imagine it's easy to strip threads as the bolts are small).

If it's not a poorly seated VCG, I'm wondering if something else has been damaged during the work - for example the plastic CCV pipes can get quite brittle over time.

Can you try pushing down on various parts of the valve cover with the engine running, to see if the sound changes at all? Might help confirm it's the VCG leaking.

The bolts were definitely all tight, and I'm hoping it's nothing else. The CCV clipped back on fine and I'm sure the noise sounds more from the top, so I'd like to think I haven't split the pipes at the bottom. I didn't think about pressing down to see if it helped, although to be honest, I was hot, sweaty and tired, as well as pretty pissed off I'd made my car worse so just threw in the towel and had a bath. I'll give your tips a go when I get home tomorrow.

On another note (hopefully unrelated)... when I was putting my coils back in, number 5 was really stiff, so I took it out and tried again, and it started to go but was still really stiff so I took it out and had a look, and there was a kind of rubber cap that I had obviously caused to be pressed into the end slightly. I removed all 5 other coils and none of them had this so I just pulled it out and put it aside. The coil then went in fine and the car starts, but I don't know where it could have come from. Anyone ever come across this?

Removed all arch liners cleaned 10+ years of crap from them.  Washed All arches down and treated them to some dintrol.

Side skirts Removed clips replaced and treated with some dintrol.

Also got round to tackling the nasty bit of rust below the boot.

Also treated it to some dintrol 

During 

20170402_112303_zpspovwbuyw.jpg

After 

20170408_134042_zpsqly1tlky.jpg

Halfords Titan silver is quite a good match. 

Next on the list is the tidy up. 

Full wet sand and machine polish. 

Wheels need a refurb in two minds if I will get them done as I quite fancy some Apex Acr 8 wheels 

Unrealted but I thought I would share one of the wings before they were replaced 

IMG_4350_zpsitcunbth.jpg

Edited by DaveNE

Those Apex ARC8 alloys are lovely. Buy them!!!!

Holy s**t, that wing!

Fitted clubsport gear knob. Had serious buyers remorse about spending 50 quid on a gear knob... but I love changing gear again so all is well. Next up steering wheel retrim 

On 10/04/2017 at 19:47, mjn said:

What the f**k?

I know hard part will be finding tinted glass dents i can fix 

Was me t to show her in a few weeka wo t be doing that now 

Its just anither kick in the nuts i can do without at the moment 

Replaced rear wiper arm, as some idiot snapped it off. Stripped and repaired the rear wiper mechanism, as it had siezed. I only cleaned it with wd40. Someone in the past had used copper grease, which caused the unit clogged up. 

Yesterday wound up the coilovers an inch, as it was sitting way too low. 

6 hours ago, Foe said:

Stripped and repaired the rear wiper mechanism, as it had siezed. I only cleaned it with wd40. Someone in the past had used copper grease, which caused the unit clogged up. 

I have to do this my one is solid any tips 

Have seen some on youtube that took hours to free up 

50 minutes ago, Markxr said:

I have to do this my one is solid any tips 

Have seen some on youtube that took hours to free up 

Hi

What year is yours? As early ones,  the whole mechanism comes out. I wish I took pics, but it's easy enough. 

On mine. I took the arm off first, unbolt the nuts and washers, remember which order, as important for re installing. Then from the inside there is two nut plastic covers, use a screwdriver to remove, then remove the bolts, so you can get to the mechanism itself. 

What I then did was to get mole grips on the back of the spindle and wobble it back and forth until it comes out. Don't be tempted to tap it through as you may shatter the screen. Then clean the spindle and the shaft. 

It would be a good idea to soak everything in wd40 or similar before you start unscrewing the nuts. Also there may be a small rubber o ring at the base if the spindle, remove this before pulling it through. 

I hope it makes sense, but if not, let me know and I'll try and take some pics. 

Gave the car a good clean and pamper. Love the shape of E46 Coupes!!

Incidentally, car "chirrups" when I start it up as if something is loose. Car is a 52k 320Cd. Anyone else experienced this?

IMG_20170409_135601579.jpg

2 minutes ago, TriggerFish said:

Does it go well?

Certainly a contrast to before!, come and check it out for yourself when you get some time... It needs some logging ;) 

I did and oil change today including the filter and my heart dropped when I saw this before starting.

20170419_113112.thumb.jpg.d5a9383935a63420170419_114321.thumb.jpg.f072d5e387caa8

As a head gasket leak was what killed my last car, just seeing this made me think the worse but was told to check the coolant and oil when drained and cooland was clear and oil had no milky look to it.  Was also told it could be condensation as I did a short trip which seems reasonable.

Guess all I can do is keep an eye on it for now.

20170419_135910.thumb.jpg.10417a9e6cb60020170419_135918.thumb.jpg.8865ea92f319d8

20 hours ago, Metwinge said:

I did and oil change today including the filter and my heart dropped when I saw this before starting.

As a head gasket leak was what killed my last car, just seeing this made me think the worse but was told to check the coolant and oil when drained and cooland was clear and oil had no milky look to it.  Was also told it could be condensation as I did a short trip which seems reasonable.

Guess all I can do is keep an eye on it for now.

Its perfectly normal mate, it is just condensation due to short trips. Both mine have done this.

Washed them. Possibly the first time I've done the 330d since buying it in October! Imola red is actually a really nice colour, but I'd never realised!

20170421_193937.jpg

(The front wing trims were fitted after I'd cleaned it and are covered in dust)

20170421_182209.jpg

20170421_182339.jpg

20170421_191750.jpg

20170421_191805.jpg

Edited by TriggerFish