E46JU

Sticking Hand Brake

Hi all,

Got another issue with the brakes of my loon. This time it's the hand brake. About 3 or so weeks ago I had my rear discs replaced. Since I've had it back, you can tell there is some resistance from the rear brakes. The hand brake is also sticking, so when I release the lever, the hand brake is still engaged. If I roll the car back in reverse slightly it releases to a certain extent but you can tell there's still some resistance as my average mpg has dropped down mpg.

I have had it back to the garage once already and they have attempted to adjust it but its still causing me trouble. Not sure what the possible causes for this is are?

no you dont need to strip the rear to adjust! In fact you CANNOT do it this way as you need to do it with the disc on.

you can adjust in via one of the wheel bolt holes you dont even need to take the wheel off (but it helps).

finding the adjuster is a bit of a pain but once you find it youre good (shine a torch through a bolt hole and youll see it. roughly 3oclock on pass side, 9 oclock on drivers side.

I was doing it the other day for MOT. took the wheel off and adjusted it then needed another little nick after Id put the wheel back on. So took one bolt out and was able to give it a couple of clicks.

worth checking the cable isnt too tight first, slacken it off at the wand first then adjust the rear adjusters, then tighten the cables up front.

The driver's side adjuster is at roughly 10 o'clock and to the left of the spring you can see through a wheel bolt hole.

The nearside adjuster is at roughly 2 o'clock and to the right of the spring you can see through a wheel bolt hole.

And the handbrake cables should be loosened off before adjustment.

Edited by quackers

No no no no no.

My fault for not using the correct description but that adjuster is usually fine. On the opposite side of the hub is an adjuster/spring/latch type thing that expands as the cable is pulled and this expansion is how the shoes work. The spring/latch thingy rusts up quite a lot and restricts movement but it will feel like you are pulling the handbrake tighter.

I'll get some pics for clarification.

366.png

Part no. 3. Realoem call it an expanding lock.

019.jpg

Edited by starkie7