simon1966

Automatic Gearbox Fault?

Hi Guys,

I have owned my E46 325ti Se for the past six years.

Approximately 12 months ago after setting off on a journey, I noticed my Bmw would not pick up speed past approximately 30mph. I pulled over to try to determine what the problem was and on doing so I noticed on my dash display there was a yellow gear/cog with an exclamation mark lit up. I turned off my engine and waited a matter of seconds then restarted my engine, which eliminated the light and drove as normal. Recently this problem is happening more often. Noticeably when its cold. The only way I can get rid of it to drive is to let the car run for a minute or so and restart the engine. Has anyone got any ideas as to what this could be?

Hi, it could be the transmission failsafe mode kicking in, whilst the gearbox oil is cold, try having the gearbox oil and filters changed first, approx£80, but could mean your torque converter is on its way out. I had a similar problem in my x5, not a cheap fix cost me £1000 to have fixed.

Would a scan not be a better first port of call, see if there's any one particular fault being reported?

If you're near me, I'm happy to scan it for you. There's a full list of users with it somewhere.