FAB_BMW

FAB's 2005 330Ci Sport Convertible(End of the road)

Nice write up mate...... i like the mods you've done to your motor. I bet you're loving driving around in the hot weather - the verts are real head turners! Best colour choice too :thumbsup:

Thank you matey, yea it's brilliant in this weather, I'm fortunate to live out in the countryside, so the drive to and from work is actually enjoyable! I love the colour, as well as looking nice it also stays pretty cool during this weather. Also makes me relieved the interior is grey!

New Aerial

Been after a new aerial for a while now, as the standard convertible aerial is ridiculously big, and very much a late 90’s design, on an E36 this might pass, but on an e46 it looks dated. I’d heard stories of loss of radio signal with stubby aerials, so was happy to live with a jockeys whip sticking out of the rear quarter panel.

Then one day i was browsing on RealOEM and noticed BMW actually do a stubby aerial for the E46, they call it a sports rod and its only 80mm(ish) long. So I got on to my local dealer and ever with my trade discount it was still more expensive than one on ebay from another main dealer. So i order it on the monday and on tuesday morning was greeted with this

null-8.jpg

null-9.jpg

I then wasted no time going out and fitting it, if only every mod was this easy, it was literally just a case of unscrewing the old aerial and screwing in the new! Here’s the difference;

Before

null-10.jpg

After

null-11.jpg

Thank you for looking and please excuse the scabby bootlid struts, they will be replaced at some point :-D

New Aerial

Thank you for looking and please excuse the scabby bootlid struts, they will be replaced at some point :-D

You beat me to it mate ;)

New Aerial

You beat me to it mate ;)

Lol they are awful aren't they! But the water just sits in the shut, it's a very bad design.

Lovely car mate, and really nice write up! Cant wait to start work on mine now

Thank you matey. You'll enjoy every minute with yours as they are fantastic cars!

I used to have a 318 E46 and I must say I have really got attached to E46's... I want the M3 in time to come

Thank you matey. You'll enjoy every minute with yours as they are fantastic cars!
I used to have a 318 E46 and I must say I have really got attached to E46's... I want the M3 in time to come
An M3 will be the next port of call for me, got the itch! Won't be for another year yet though.

An M3 will be the next port of call for me, got the itch! Won't be for another year yet though.

Yeah man I look forward to seeing that! Mine probably wont be for a couple of years as gotta start saving for a damn mortgage. The Mrs is hassling me so we can move out!

You got many more plans on your motor?

Yeah man I look forward to seeing that! Mine probably wont be for a couple of years as gotta start saving for a damn mortgage. The Mrs is hassling me so we can move out!You got many more plans on your motor?

Oh I feel your pain there! Lol.Um in the immediate future it'll just be maintenance really, she's ticked over 90,000 miles now, so plan to overhaul the coolant system at some point, as there is no record of it being done. In terms of mods, I've got a few ideas, I quite like the OEM+ way of thinking, where you can put your own touch on it, but it looks like it could have come from the factory like it.

Loverly detailed write up!! And very nice clean looking car!!

Cheers bud, much appreciated :-) Edited by FAB_BMW

Yeah man I look forward to seeing that! Mine probably wont be for a couple of years as gotta start saving for a damn mortgage. The Mrs is hassling me so we can move out!You got many more plans on your motor?

Oh I feel your pain there! Lol.Um in the immediate future it'll just be maintenance really, she's ticked over 90,000 miles now, so plan to overhaul the coolant system at some point, as there is no record of it being done. In terms of mods, I've got a few ideas, I quite like the OEM+ way of thinking, where you can put your own touch on it, but it looks like it could have come from the factory like it.

Yeah I know what you mean, I kind of wanna keep it the same, look nice but also suttle not too over the top however I started to very much be against it but I really want to with BMW M3 Mirrors on mine I have started to think it makes the E46's more modernized and blend in nicely.

Possibly going to go pick mine back up Saturday as trouble to get off work but its going to be luxurious having the motor back just cannot wait to behind the wheel.

I hope it all goes ok mate, I read you've had a hell of a time with it, but I'm sure it'll be fine:-) If I'm not mistaken your car is a facelift? If so, check your mirror wiring, as the majority have 'Ribbon' connectors, and no M3 mirrors were made with these. However if yours is an early facelift then you might be lucky and have normal 'wire' connectors. Auto folding mirrors are on my list, but even standard non-m ones with ribbon connectors are like rocking horse s**te.

I hope it all goes ok mate, I read you've had a hell of a time with it, but I'm sure it'll be fine:-) If I'm not mistaken your car is a facelift? If so, check your mirror wiring, as the majority have 'Ribbon' connectors, and no M3 mirrors were made with these. However if yours is an early facelift then you might be lucky and have normal 'wire' connectors. Auto folding mirrors are on my list, but even standard non-m ones with ribbon connectors are like rocking horse s**te.

Oh yes absolutely madness, but never mind things are slowly getting sorted but definitely not perfect! Yeah I read up somewhere about the M3 mirrors and I think there is some sort of mod cutting wires and stuff, mine is an 05 face lift so probably have ribbon connectors :censored:

Yeah saw a friends BMW the other day and he has installed folding mirrors with the button next to the mirror adjusters which folds them, can you get some that automatically fold?

Iam personally not too fussed about automatic folding ones but yeah definitely wouldnt mind some M3's :thumbsup:

2014 Updates

Well here we are in 2014, can’t believe its been so long since i’ve updated on this car, not that there has been much to report. I drove the car up until the end of october, then when the weather turned I put her on SORN, and pretty much left her over the winter months.

Now fast forward to about a week ago, and I decided to get her out of hibernation, to find the battery completely dead. I removed it and did a full charge on it, put it back on the car, and it still wouldn't start.

Luckily, I had a brand new battery laying around, so stuck that in the car, and she fired straight to life, it really is one fantastic car.

I decided to give it a good clean to remove all the grime built up over the winter, first I gave it a good Snowfoaming, then the 2 Bucket Method, followed by a thorough waxing, and she came up lovely;

9CE0B523-98AF-4E04-AE6A-5508B82FA705.jpg

F7EE52CF-712B-44B9-B3CE-C0CD1239F340.jpg

F21B5D37-459D-4113-8DC5-2A4ACE88F055.jpg

21ADD056-E07C-46A4-A303-9BD4465E5E18.jpg

9B933C32-F009-4781-8C63-24FFCA8D247C.jpg

Then I decided I wanted something different for the car. I’ve wanted an exhaust for the car for a long time, but have always had my mind set on an Eisenmann. Giving over £700 for one was not an option, even though I know they are the best aftermarket ones you can buy. The second hand ones are like the proverbial rocking horse matter. A couple have come up for sale, I was offered one by Bekir from his 330 vert, but at the time I wasn't in the situation to buy it, and also it was the 76mm version, which in my opinion is abit on the large side.

Nothing come up until I had a chance look on ebay, and found an immaculate 70mm Road Sport version which had come off a 330 coupe. I waited all week for the auction to end, and ended up paying abit more than I planned, but it was deffo worth it. I picked it up today and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was from a fellow forum member on E46Zone.

So now i’ve got it sitting in my house, staring at me waiting to be fitted, which I hope will be Tuesday evening. Here’s some pics taken from the ebay advert;

C49B435B-2DBC-452B-8605-77A28CD2B59A.png

7ED78A06-20A2-4CC0-8893-DB8A545671F8.png

5C7EBA02-8C3E-4824-A8CB-3993A50E9868.png

9c95d7e0-a0cc-4086-a478-2fb252903b84.png

Thank you for looking:-)

I ll be interested to meet up once fitted and see how it looks compared to mine (I think I have the 76mm version)

Nice buy dude

Cheers bud, yea once it's fitted we'll deffo meet up. I'll be interested too, the pipes are 5mm bigger than the E36 M3 pipes, and staggered like them too.

ah you bugger, i was bidding on that exhaust!!!

**Many expletives later....**

So you're the swine who pushed the price up! :-D

I knew it was too good to be true when there were still no bids until an hour before it finished, lol.