TriggerFish

The Headlight Upgrade Topic

Hi all,

There seem to be quite a few threads/messages recently about upgrading the lights on these, so to save me/others typing out the same verbatim all the time, I thought I'd try and create a thread with it all in. Please feel free to add to this.

The cheapest/easiest option is to just upgrade the standard headlight bulbs for something like Philips Xtreme or Osram Nightbreakers. I've tried these on a previous car and didn't notice a massive difference in quality tbh. Some people have reported them to be much better, but experience seems split on these.

Next up, you've got the option to put an HID kit into the existing lights. If you've got a facelift coupe/convertible you should be OK as you've got reflectors already (although they would be designed for halogens).

If you do this on any other e46 with the reflector headlights, you'll end with up something like this:

57760d1181626841-hid-glare-removal-mod-w

which is like driving towards

img_webmaster_1219439117.jpg

So yes they're cheap and bright, but pretty much terrible in reflectors!

Other, better options include adding projectors to your lights, or buying a pre-made set.

The pre-made ones can be either OEM from a car with xenons. These are plug and play, although the error light on the dash may come on, which can be coded out or disabled by removing a fuse. These can be expensive, and come with the disadvantage of often having old/pitted lenses.

The other option is to go for something like the Depo options. These come with projectors (and angel eyes) and don't give the glare of the HIDs in reflectors. Some people moan about the quality of the cutoff/projector, but they're going to be better than reflectors + HIDs. They also come with nice, new shiny lenses too.

The final option, one which people seem to be interested in, is retrofitting projectors to existing halogen lights.

There's quite a lot of kits around on eBay to do this, but the quality seems to be largely unknown. I've done this following this guide and using these parts.

Essentially, you just take the lens off the headlight, feed the projector through the hole for the bulb, and then bolt it in place. Fit an HID (or halogen) bulb/ballast into the projector and you're done.

Finished results look like this:

DSC_0214-1.jpg

DSC_0217-1.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

And the beam pattern is much better! I don't have any decent photos of my own to show this though, but this is the output from the same units in a different car:

IMG_0616-1.jpg

If you go down the HID route in any form, there is debate over the need for washers/self leveling. I've got through my MOT with just washers fitted (although I still believe they're pointless!). You might want to read up on this/make up your own mind though as discussing it generally opens a can of worms!

I'm aware this doesn't cover everything, but it's hopefully a starting point as there's countless threads asking this question!

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

In the UK, yeah it should. I just grabbed that from the internet/manufacture's forum which is mostly US based, so I assume it's for a LHD car.

You'd want something like this for the UK:

IMG_3644.jpg

Good point though, I didn't consider that!

Ah, I didn't realise that. I had them on my golf and you could swap the motors over.

Ill update the op when I'm at a computer tomorrow

I had depos on my prefacelift 330 and didnt lose the adjustment from the cabin.

Oh, Please disregard my last comment then

I thought I read on here that depos didnt come with the vertical adjustment motors built in like the OEM's do.

aye youd want H1 alright for better choice of HID kit.

what was the total cost all in and do you think you could have used the shrounds supplied with the kit rather than the E46 specific ones?

Oh, Please disregard my last comment then

I thought I read on here that depos didnt come with the vertical adjustment motors built in like the OEM's do.

I had a set of depo's i bought for the coupe which had the motors built in

however i bought a set for that red saloon & never fitted them but when i sold them to a forum member apparently they didnt have any

adjustment.

I have just however bought a set of Depo's again yesterday :lol:

hat was the total cost all in and do you think you could have used the shrounds supplied with the kit rather than the E46 specific ones?

Not 100% sure, I did it last summer. I guess the prices on that website + a set of bulbs (I had ballasts already) + about £30 import tax should give you a round idea. Doubt it was much more than £130 at most.

I imagine you could use the supplied ones, but I imagine they'd not look as good. The 'offcast' e46 ones are only $15/~£10 so hardly huge expense.

I asked about facelift depos and was told they have the adjustment, I didn`t buy then as I found I could strip my facelift headlight in ten mins. So I bought CCFL rings and sprayed the indicators

This isn't the reason people change to depo's

They have a projector lens in the dipped beam bowl & thus you can retrofit a hid kit so it looks factory & doesn't blind any other f**ker on the road, also the fact your getting brand new lenses which are notoriously expensive from the stealers.

update for you guys.

Bought the hid kit and projectors off china ebay but they do rhd fitment. and fitted them this afternoon.

about an hour ish it took me. needed some small screws for the shrouds that weren't supplied but easily found.. total cost .

less than 70 quid.

huge thanks to triggerfish for his pm's posts and info..cheers dude

20130526_205131_zpsd884ba5e.jpg

20130526_205137_zps2919c25b.jpg

Edited by Marcus

No worries! Glad you got it sorted! :)

As said, pictures needed! If you could get some of the cutoff too that would be great.

I will when I can .. I wont be driving today..beer and bbq :cheers::cheers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-35W-New-Brand-Car-H7-6000K-Super-Slim-Hid-Xenon-Bulb-Ballast-Conversion-Kit-/400487330320?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d3ee7b210

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121109907573?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

these are what ive fitted. make sure you ask for rhd ones though.ive checked the cut off earlier in the multi storey.its the right way. didn't get a pic though,phone was flat. :unsure: