switch006

'98 e46 - Wiring harness treasure hunt

Hey,

I have a '98 e46 with the small 4:3 Sat Nav/tape unit (made by Philips) and a 6 cd changer/sat nav unit in the boot.

I want to replace the head unit. When I pulled it out, I noticed it only had a 12 pin blue connector labelled "amp" (attached picture). That wire is connected to something else, and appears to go down near the gear selector. I took out the glove box but I could not see anything that would connect to the standard radio connectors.

Does anyone know where the wires are (if they even exist)?

Thanks.

post-28348-0-54219300-1372929722_thumb.j

Edited by switch006

The plug is for the OEM nav monitor, and only carries video signals (from the nav unit to the monitor), the 4:3 monitor up front is just that, a monitor, it is not a HU.

The blue plug is made by a company called AMP, it is not an Amp connection (as in amplifier).

If your car has OEM nav, then there is nothing up front (wiring wise) to connect a conventional type HU, you will need an adapter lead to run from the cars boot (where all the gubbins from the system are), back up to the front.