StuBeeDoo

StuBeeDoo's 330d - updated from time to time

I noticed the other day that the leather was worn on the gear knob, and I fancied the idea of a shorter one. Only thing was that I didn't want the ///M logo spoiling my SE. So I started thinking about buying a cheap/tatty "Clubsport" knob and doing a bit work on it. Things escalated quickly and within a few days I ended-up with this......

IMG_0003_zpsj0cijwai.jpg

It's not perfect, but for now I can live with it. I'll probably, eventually, have another go at it.

Also, I've had the summer Style 157s done metallic Anthracite (this is the only pic I've got at the moment)......

IMG_00031_zpswm3vcrcp.jpg

The wheels in that colour look bang on looks great

Thank you. :thumbsup:

I've just finished this quarter's fortnight of nightshifts This is normally when I catch-up on things I want to do to the car, other than emergency stuff which gets done as and when necessary. :)

Wor Lass can't get away with the Sport seats, so I sourced an SE passenger seat in the same colour leather and fitted it. It's out of a coupe, so it's got the tilt handles - am I bovvered?? Hopefully now she won't fidget so much when we're out in the car.

When I initially fitted the SE seat, I had the airbag warning light on. After a while it went off all by itself, but it spurred me on to get my INPA installed on my laptop. I cleared all the stored codes (some on the engine from before I owned the car!). I need to get in the habit of checking for codes on a regular basis now.

The gear knob I've already mentioned, but I stripped the leather off again, managed to get the bottom ring off the knob and put it all back together properly.

Anytime I'm on my regular nightshifts I clean and feed the leather, so that's been done.

I've fitted a new track rod and end. The old ones were seized together and although the tracking was fine, the steering wheel was "off" which bugged the hell out of me. :( Sorted now - 'wheel straight, tracking well within tolerance. :D

My effort at dechroming the waistrails by wrapping them was looking decidedly tatty because I kept catching it with my ice scraper. So I've taking the wrap off and also swapped the dechrome false gutter trims for the original chrome. I'm not a lover of chrome on modern cars, but I think that since I developed my Anthracite wheels fetish the car looks too moody without a few details to "lift" it. ........And it is an SE, after all.

So that's where I'm at for now. :) I'm doing an extra week of nights at the end of next month, and I have a couple of things in the pipeline for then. I'll update again as and when necessary.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

On 21/03/2015, 13:55:50, StuBeeDoo said:

:) I'm doing an extra week of nights at the end of next month, and I have a couple of things in the pipeline for then. I'll update again as and when necessary.

eek I'm working on the scabby n/s/f wing.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

Looking nice, my favourite colour. What are you planning to do to the wings ? Mine are more rusted than yours and it's letting the car down, just dunno whether to have a go myself or if I'll make it worse..

I've taken it back to bare rust in the affected area and treated it with Kurust. I'm not the best with bodywork, so I thought at least the wing is bolt-on.......

If I make a reasonable job of it, I'll have a go at the other side (which isn't as bad), the n/s/r arch and the boot lid.

I won't be doing much more, other than keep it on the road, now as Wor Lass wants a convertible within the next year. :wacko:

Change of plan! :D She's finally seen sense and dropped the idea of touring France, Switzerland and Italy next year in a convertible. :D So the 4-door won't be leaving my ownership for at least another couple of years.

The 4-door is due for its MOT the end of next month. I'm not expecting any major failure, but once it's gone through I'll think seriously about getting a different map and a decat.

Edited by StuBeeDoo

I'm not very good at keeping this thread up-to-date and as I bought the car two years ago tomorrow it's time I included a few things I've done and neglected to post. :( Over the last few months I've.........

Fitted a black carbon-look bonnet badge I had kicking around from my early E30 days, to replace the 12y-o factory-fitted one that was showing its age.

Bought a set of Style 119 wheels to use in the winter. These are more in keeping with my 5-spoke fetish, and they will be staying silver. The anthracite 44s are for sale.

Finally got 'round to fitting my PIAA sports horns. It's only taken 2 years!

The permanently cloudy n/s foglight (you can see it in a lot of the pics of the car) annoyed me so much I had to do something about it. The o/s one misted-up as well, but it usually cleared after a while. I'm too tight to spend money replacing them because IMO they're not fit-for-purpose so I never use them. I could have bought 320d ES-style blanks but I decided to wrap the lenses in gloss black. This way, when I sell the car all I have to do is pull the wrap off.

I've fitted window and sunroof deflectors. This wouldn't normally be something I'd do, but when we're touring Wor Lass likes the roof open (I prefer it tilted....) and her window as well. Buying the deflectors was cheaper than buying a convertible.

Yesterday I sent the nav.drive to Baris for its second repair in my ownership. I keep forgetting to eject the disc when I'm disconnecting the battery (I've now put a warning note on top of the battery!).

I think, thus far, the thread is now a pretty-much complete overview of my first two years of E46 ownership. :)

Edited by StuBeeDoo

I won't be doing much more, other than keep it on the road, now as Wor Lass wants a convertible within the next year. :wacko:

Change of plan! :D She's finally seen sense and dropped the idea of touring France, Switzerland and Italy next year in a convertible. :D So the 4-door won't be leaving my ownership for at least another couple of years.

The 4-door is due for its MOT the end of next month. I'm not expecting any major failure, but once it's gone through I'll think seriously about getting a different map and a decat.

So you coming on my roadtrip next year then? :D

So you coming on my roadtrip next year then? :D

Sadly, no. :( She's got her own itinerary;- wants to spend as much time in Italy as possible (including a day in Rome) and take a day to explore the Alsace vineyards on the way home.

Yes, she will change her mind. But I can guarantee whatever she wants to do, it won't include tagging-along with other petrol (or diesel) -heads.

Yesterday I sent the nav.drive to Baris for its second repair in my ownership.

True to form, it was back from Baris on the fourth working day. Nav. reliability restored just in time for our holiday.

While we were away I started getting thoughts about ditching the Style 157s in favour of Style 339s. Stuff like this I keep under the radar until SWMBO actually notices something's different, so I never said anything to her. Sure enough a few days later she's moaning about her perceived lack of comfort in the car, and comes out with "I think we'll need the bigger one to go to Italy in". (bigger in El-speak means taller to you and me - ie X3)

That's it - no more updates, I'm done here.  I really can't get on with the new forum.  ............Plus the whole E46 scene has gone down the toilet far quicker than I thought it would and I've got no interest in reading about people abusing their cheaply-bought cars.

2 minutes ago, StuBeeDoo said:

That's it - no more updates, I'm done here.  I really can't get on with the new forum.  ............Plus the whole E46 scene has gone down the toilet far quicker than I thought it would and I've got no interest in reading about people abusing their cheaply-bought cars.

I totally understand how you feel about this forum, I agree about the revamp (?) but I'm here for the knowledge and as long as I can get that then I'll work through this broken site, for now. But cars lose value and attract people with smaller budgets, that's the nature of any depreciating asset and that will never change. You'll always get people who like the look of Halfords bolt-ons just as you'll get people who genuinely want to improve and maintain their cars - I think that the failed update of this site has just highlighted areas of the E46 scene that you don't want to be part of and are fed up reading about here. Yet again, I totally agree. 

It would be a shame to lose you, but it's obviously your call and I see your departure (along with every other genuinely helpful zoner before you and everyone who follows after you) as an effect of people losing faith here and moving to more stable and better managed forums.

Sad day Stu. Understand the way you are feeling. You are a top bloke and it has been a pleasure to be able of known you through this forum.

I was like a few others on here when I had my e46. Just kept it oem and clean and running. Came on here for the knowledge and the banter.

Appreciate the work some people put into their e46's (modding)

Met a few people off the forum and all of you have been great blokes.

Unlike you Stu I never view forum on pc (only use tapatalk) so think I've missed all of the issues people have came across.

I understand the reason why Sam has had to do it (improved security I think)

Wish you all the best in what ever you do in the future and I would gladly share a coffee with you anytime.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I've noticed the forum is a lot quieter.

But speaking of assets......anyone seen the price of decent E46 M3 and E39 M5?!?!?!? They're going through the roof!!

In this month's EVO mag, on page 150, there are two E46 M3 for sale, one at £28k and one at £50k!!!!!

But even on autotrader, prices are high.