LukeD

M52 and m54?

M54 has self adjusting valves so no need to adjust clearance. The m54 has fly by wire throttle wheras the m52 had cable. There are a few other differences but I can't remember them. The obvious one is larger cubic capacity (or smaller, depending how you look at it).

The 323 and the 325 have the same cubic capacity :)

I was always under the impression the 5w40 got around the engine quicker on a cold start, than compared to say 10w40, hence it being better for our engines?

It's not (only) how quick the oil goes around in an engine.

It's about giving the right consistency/streinght to build a proper oil film in the bearings.

Also if you loose too much oil pressure (thin oil), certain parts wont get oil (or enough oil with enough force to push it through te bearings)

Bearings float on a film of oil, and that film is created by a certain thickness of the oil and a certain pressure that the oil is forced into the bearing. (very thin oil will just wash through regardless the pressure so the metal parts will touch, and thick oil but low pressure can't force the oil enough through the bearing so the metal parts also will touch)

The thickness of the oil is not so much a factor in how fast oil can reach the bearings (not counting extremes of course). The oil canals are wide enough and the pump is strong enough. The 'cold' multigrade part is not only for the startup moment, but for the first 10min or so that the engine runs. It takes a while for every part to warm up.

Also a wider temp range (say 0w50) doesn't always make for a better oil. I once read a piece that for oil manufacturers a wide temperature range means that they have to make concessions to the lubrication and lifespan properties. So they said that the best oil (lubrication/lifespan wise) for your engine is generally the one with the smallest temperature range, as long as it fits your climate.

Edited by GuidoK

M54 has self adjusting valves so no need to adjust clearance. The m54 has fly by wire throttle wheras the m52 had cable. There are a few other differences but I can't remember them. The obvious one is larger cubic capacity (or smaller, depending how you look at it).

The 323 and the 325 have the same cubic capacity :)

Could be said that the m54 equivalent of the 323 was the the 320 2.2 as they have the same power. That was my thinking anyway lol

The 325 replaced the 323 and the 330 replaced the 328. Later on (facelift time I think) the 320 with a 2.2 engine was made available to fill the gap between the 318 and 325.

Whilst power figures might be similar, don't forget to look at torque output as well.