Scottfreee3

E46 Boot Auto Open

As above I've made up a boot auto open for my e46 coupe. It involves springs, new bump stops, and 2 different strut ends (4 in total). <br /><br />The postage makes getting the parts expensive and then you will need to modify the strut ends in order to get the spring to fit and boot to close. <br /><br />Would there be any interest if I were to make up 20 sets for the forum? <br /><br />It works out about £50 for the parts alone (before modifications). I'd hope to get enough made to cost that delivered already modified. <br /><br />Just a though if anyone is interested. Here is a video of the E39 working with the same setup.<br /><br />

/><br /><br />

Possibly interested, what's the expensive bit of it all as I thought the springs were only a few quid?

Edited by bungers

Possibly interested, what's the expensive bit of it all as I thought the springs were only a few quid?

The springs work out £22 delivered, I have no idea about the bump stops (mine were £10 from a friend) and the strut ends work out at £15 delivered. The strut ends then need to be made shorter and narrower (I've not included this is the price).

The delivery and modification is the capital part. Whereas if they were delivered in bulk and then modified In bulk it should be cheaper. (I would then post out a complete set ready for fitment)

Tried this on the vert but couldn't get compression springs to match.

Think the gas strut travel is less on the vert though. Gave up in the end.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I had to get new strut ends and modify them so the spring could compress. I've a video of mine uploading to yt atm. Ill post link when finished

Aye did this with uprated gas struts with a thick washer at both strut end and gas end to no avail.

Aye post it uo it may point me in the right direction. Do you have a link to the compression springs also

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Biggest problem with this is, I've come out to my car several times now to find the boot is unlocked.

I start the car and the dash tells me its popped.

Must be my keys in my pocket, so I've started taking them out of my pocket when I get home.

Was unlocked again this morning though, must have happened before I took my keys out of my pocket last night.

With this mod, I'd lose my wheels in no time! :-(

Im interested mate, depends on how much obviously, was thinking about doing it but if your making sets up it would save me alot of time and effort :)

Biggest problem with this is, I've come out to my car several times now to find the boot is unlocked.

Must be my keys in my pocket, so I've started taking them out of my pocket when I get home.

Was unlocked again this morning though, must have happened before I took my keys out of my pocket last night.

You've got NCS haven't you? You can code it to need a double press in quick succession. I've found mines' really hard to open now it needs clicking so quickly. Solves the problem though

You've got NCS haven't you? You can code it to need a double press in quick succession. I've found mines' really hard to open now it needs clicking so quickly. Solves the problem though

This would be cool.

I have pa soft 1.4 tho...

I have been in contact with the suppliers and the kit works out at £50 delivered (May be an extra cost for the strut modifications - still waiting for final price for changes). If it works out at £60 deliveryed would we have enough interest?

The kit will consist of:

2 sprung bump stops

2 upper strut ends

2 lower strut ends

2 springs

I hope to get 10 made for now - I'll get it working on verts etc. just need some details from you guys.

So who is interested?

1: Mengwalton - Saloon - post

2: sean_mc_83 - Coupe - pre

3: Marc l - Coupe - pre

4: Robevan5 - Coupe - pre

5: Gregg - Saloon - post

Edited by Scottfreee3