bram

E46 330i - Audi A4 B8 tail pipes

Simple one this - AUDI A4 B8 TAILPIPES

Supplier - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370869316770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Cost - £18.49

Time to arrive - from Hong Kong - 2 days (seriously) can't say better than that

Tools used -

1. Masking tape
  2. Pencil
  3. Grinder with thin cutting disc
  4. File
  5. Ruler or vernier

The Job -

i thought the tail pipes weren't that bad but when you see the after pics they have been massively improved

IMAG0514_zps31fc4dce.jpg

• As the 330 Sport has the actuator controlling the shut off valve on the inside tailpipe so the end tail has to have a slot cut.

• Find the centre line of the tailpipe and add a piece of tape horizontally up the tailpipe as a centre guide so the end result lines up with it's mate

• I knew the gap to cut was around 45mm wide (this is edge to edge as the surface is concave obviously so measure the back edge) so fitted two pieces of masking tape horizontally about 35mm apart

• Dummy the tailpipe up over the original square

• slide on as far as the uncut tail will go

• and mark the gap required to clear the actuator on both sides

• measure the gap inside between the bottom edge of the old tail and the bottom edge of the new tail giving you the depth measurement (mine was 50mm)

• Check inside that the area you are about to cut isn't over the spring style fittings inside as this may balls the fitting up

• Add tape around the area enough to draw your box to cut out (mine was 42mm x 50mm)

• Once cut you should have something that looks like this

IMAG0512_zps83e7e0e8.jpg

• Once happy with the cut file the edges so they're free of rough material and fit

• Heres the end result of mine, massive improvement

IMAG0516_zps1b2b142e.jpg

(I know it's an easy one but some folk really are beginners so i hope for those it's a little help, resulting in a nice little DIY)

(I believe lower models have a different rear box setup so don't follow this guide)

Cheers

Chris

This is great, thanks for the DIY! What a cheap way to really tidy up the car.

My 330i SE has quite tatty looking tailpipes, and replacements from BMW are prohibitively expensive. Might order some of these. I think I will have to cut into the inside pipe too, as my car has the valve in the exhaust too.

I'm pretty sure that if these fit the 330 sport, then they will also fit the SE. Anyone else tried it?

Anyone got a definitive answer as to which pipes to use on a 320ci..?

I believe they're narrower...

Theirs small spring type arms inside which grab the existing tail - if you can find out the outside diameter of your tailpipe i can get the inside diameter of one of these

Anyone got a definitive answer as to which pipes to use on a 320ci..?

I believe they're narrower...

Theirs small spring type arms inside which grab the existing tail - if you can find out the outside diameter of your tailpipe i can get the inside diameter of one of these

Any joy on this or anyone else?

I've got a 325i and it could benefit with new tips.

unless your taking it that is :o

Mwahahaha ahhahahaha!

Made me burst out laughing in the office :lol: