oilman

Oil advice and recommendations here!

Hi

I wouldn't use the XTR, it's a good oil, but suitable for your car. You need an oil that meets the BMW LL04 specification.

The oils are all good oils as they need to be to meet the BMW specification, so take your pick based on any price/brand preference you have, although if it burns at lot of oil, go for one of the 5w-40s.
Cheers

Tim

If you’re in need of oil advice and recommendations then please just ask, we are happy to help. You can ask us here or by PM, drop us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk or just give us a call this afternoon, we are here till 5.30pm.
It's a great time to buy from Opie Oils, until midnight Sunday we are giving an additional 15% Off our already discounted prices on all engine oils with voucher code 15OFF.
Cheers
- oilman

BMW do everything by spec, so if you use an oil that meets the BMW LL4 spec then you are good to go. If you are looking for best economy then look to use a 0w-30 or 5w-30, if it uses a fair bit of oil use a 5w-40 or for hard use 5w-40.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-686-bmw-longlife-04.aspx

Cheers

Guy

Hi Folks,
If you are having trouble finding out which Engine Oil is right for your car, please use our lookup guide.
forum-wopr.jpg
If you need help finding your car, or it is modified in any way, you can call us Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm on 01209 202944, email us at sales@opieoils.co.uk, or just ask here.
Cheers
Oilman

Hi Folks,
Need help with engine oil, spark plugs, gear oil, filters. It doesn’t matter if it has been modified, or even a classic car, the team at Opie Oils will help you find what you are looking for. Don't forget to;
forum-9thjan-1.jpg
Enter our latest Competition
2014-winter-competition.jpg
If you need any oil advice then we are here to help! You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk
Cheers
Oilman

Hi Folks,
Opie Oils has some fantastic offers on at the moment so please check our Current Offers >>>>>
If you need any oil advice then we are here to help! You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk
Cheers
Oilman

If you’re in need of oil advice and recommendations then please just ask, we are happy to help. You can ask us here or by PM, drop us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk or just give us a call this morning, we are here till 5.30pm.
It's a great time to buy from Opie Oils, have a look at our Current Offers>>.
Cheers
- oilman

Make - BMW

Model - 330d Sport

Year - May 2002

Mileage - 147k

Mods - None to date

Use - Road/ Daily driver

If doing more regular engine oil changes is there a non Longlife oil that you recommend?

I intend to change the oil regularly around 6-8k miles.

Also can you recommend a good diff & gearbox oil as well?

Thanks,

Anton

Hi Anton

If changed that often, a 5w-30 oil is ideal, but there isn't necessarily any price benefit over one of the long life approved oils

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra Extra, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Gulf GVX/ULE, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives. As Gulf are doing their GVX and ULE for good prices for LL04 approved oils, I'd probably go for those rather than a non-approved oil for similar money.
If your gearbox suffers from stiff/poor changes when it's cold (as is fairly common with E46s), using a mix of ATF and MTF is a good idea. Red Line MTL and ATF D4, Amsoil ATF and MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid 75w-80 and ATF 5005 are the ones that people commonly mix together in E46 gearboxes.
An ATF is basically a thin gear oil, so reduces the viscosity slightly, making the gear shifts easier. The combinations that I mentioned above are good enough quality so that even though the oil is a little thinner, there should be no reduction in protection. If you are not suffering with cold gear changes, just use one of the MTFs that I mentioned.
Cheers
Tim

If your gearbox suffers from stiff/poor changes when it's cold (as is fairly common with E46s), using a mix of ATF and MTF is a good idea. Red Line MTL and ATF D4, Amsoil ATF and MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid 75w-80 and ATF 5005 are the ones that people commonly mix together in E46 gearboxes.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1432-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid.aspx

An ATF is basically a thin gear oil, so reduces the viscosity slightly, making the gear shifts easier. The combinations that I mentioned above are good enough quality so that even though the oil is a little thinner, there should be no reduction in protection. If you are not suffering with cold gear changes, just use one of the MTFs that I mentioned.

Cheers

Tim

Is that a 50/50 mix?

Hi

Generally, I'd say add the whole bottle of MTF, then make up the rest with ATF and she how that goes. If that's a bit stiff still, drain off a drop and replace with some ATF. Keep doing that until it's not too stiff.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

That's an LT3 fluid, but you could use that. Syntrans B is a bit of an odd product in that Castrol only make it when their customers have ordered several thousand litres and as it's not the most popular thing, the stock runs out quite often, so the ATF/MTF mix is often more practical.

Cheers

Tim

Do auto boxes suffer with stiff gear changes too?

I have a 328Ci with an auto box and when its cold it hangs on to first gear longer than it usually would, feels like its trying to change but takes a while, then it will pop into second rather harshly. This only happens twice from cold. Once when I pull out of my parkign space and again when I pull onto the main road from our close, so well before the cars warmed up. I then have a run down a nice A road and by the time I stop at the next junction she's all warmed up and its fine.

Its a 1999 with about 145,000 miles and I've had her just over 2 years but havent changed the gearbox oil in that time and don't see any record of it being changed in the history.

Should I be thinking about changing the gearbox oil?

It could well be the oil, due BMW's fill for life way of thinking, the oil might never have been changed and over 15 years and nearly 150k, the oil could be worn out, leading to poor shifts. The best options are the Red Line D4 or Fuchs ATF6000, although the others are fine as cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim