bungers

'thanks' tally?

As this site doesn't a have a 'thanks' system, I thought it might be a good idea to introduce one? I get a fair few 'likes' on some of my posts so I thought it would help members new & old by seeing how helpful another member is.

Any chance of getting this added to a members' profile so it is shown when posting?

Edited by bungers

How does a few people liking your posts show how helpful you are? You could post something funny and lots of people "like" it, doesn't exactly mean you're helpful though... Sounds more like a popularity contest than anything.

Don't see the point in it. I can't imagine many clicking on peoples names seeing how many likes or thanks they recieve.

How does a few people liking your posts show how helpful you are?

Unless I mistaken I think that's the point Bungers is making. We already have a "like" option, what he is suggesting is the addition of a "Thanks" system, I've used it many times on other forums, and it is useful, so when someone posts a tip or solves a problem, they receive thanks for a helpful post from other members.

Likes might also show how much you like making fun of people or how witty you are etc.

I don't really feel the need to gauge how helpful I am against other forum members. I help where I can and make silly comments where I can't :thumbup:

Likes might also show how much you like making fun of people or how witty you are etc.

I don't really feel the need to gauge how helpful I am against other forum members. I help where I can and make silly comments where I can't :thumbup:

LOL you truly are a 'More advanced member', even with with 'Advanced member' status I can't get away with silly comments. I recently made a silly (neither rude, nor admittedly helpful) comment on a thread relating to verts and one of our resident moderators deleted it as it wasn't relevant to the conversation :lol:

Those mods can be like the gestapo sometimes. I don't usually notice if they delete my posts because I only tend to revisit them when someone clicks like on one of them anyway :lol:

That's how I noticed, I clicked to view the like I received and the post was no longer there. When querying it one of our mods told me he deleted it as it was irrelevant. Understandable if someone is constantly spamming a thread, but for a one off genuinely silly comment...

Don't see the point in it. I can't imagine many clicking on peoples names seeing how many likes or thanks they recieve.

You can do that already, I meant having it show on the left of a post, say under your post count.

Unless I mistaken I think that's the point Bungers is making. We already have a "like" option, what he is suggesting is the addition of a "Thanks" system, I've used it many times on other forums, and it is useful, so when someone posts a tip or solves a problem, they receive thanks for a helpful post from other members.

How does a few people liking your posts show how helpful you are? You could post something funny and lots of people "like" it, doesn't exactly mean you're helpful though... Sounds more like a popularity contest than anything.

I've edited the title as it didn't make sense. Other forums use 'thanks', I genuinely believe it goes a long way to showing how helpful a member is.

That's how I noticed, I clicked to view the like I received and the post was no longer there. When querying it one of our mods told me he deleted it as it was irrelevant. Understandable if someone is constantly spamming a thread, but for a one off genuinely silly comment...

You should really be PM'd every time someone deletes one of your posts/topics.

+1, if you can point me to the relevant topic, I can check who deleted it and make sure they are PM'ing users when deleting content.

There is a thanks system in the forum software, but I disabled it as I don't see the merit in having it. We have 'like' for good posts, even that isn't heavily used.

+1, if you can point me to the relevant topic, I can check who deleted it and make sure they are PM'ing users when deleting content.

There is a thanks system in the forum software, but I disabled it as I don't see the merit in having it. We have 'like' for good posts, even that isn't heavily used.

Still waiting on my pm...

Back OT, I & I'm sure others do see the merit in having it, does it cause issues it being on? If it doesn't what would it take to turn it on?

Not much work to enable it. If it gets enough attention I'll do it, but I'm not enabling it to for just 3 people to use it, it'll cause more load on our server.

Migrate the server to a decent host & enable it, I guarantee more than 3 people will use it. If they don't I'll cover the cost of the hosting for a year.

Yes yes, as I said in the PM, I will be migrating soon. My main concern is that the site doesn't crash every 3 days, not adding this 'thanks' thing. Once its stable, I'll be adding additional functionality.

Misread it :lol:

Being awake for 36 hours and going on forums isn't a good idea :D

Yes yes, as I said in the PM, I will be migrating soon. My main concern is that the site doesn't crash every 3 days, not adding this 'thanks' thing. Once its stable, I'll be adding additional functionality.

Fair enough, I'll pack my crystal ball away now.

Seriously, why do I bother?? It's not about rankings, it's about helping to provide other users with a way of ascertaining the reliability of the info in a reply.

Just as well remove the post count, signature, subscriber status & member status going off that train of thought?

In order to establish whether a "Thanks" facility should be enabled or not, why not create a poll? Surely if enough forum members think it's a good idea (however many "enough" is) then it should be enabled. This is a user forum after all, so the users should be able to shape the future of the forum in some way??

Of course, I agree. But it won't get implemented until I've sorted the forum crashing issue.

So are you saying if the site user vote & want it you will implement it as long as it doesn't cost or create background issues?

Pretty sure he's saying he doesn't even need the vote as it's easy to do, but he doesn't want to do it until he's sorted out the site issues.

Otherwise this thread confuses me :blink:

Pretty sure he's saying he doesn't even need the vote as it's easy to do, but he doesn't want to do it until he's sorted out the site issues.

That's how I interpreted it too ;)