Puncture

Bubbling paint

Hi all, I recently purchased an identical set of oem alloys to that of my own so I can have regular tyres fitted ready for the spring. However, whilst the outside-facing part of the wheels are in reasonable condition, the seller conveniently failed to mention the paint-bubbling on the inside of one of the hubs. Does is need to be fixed? - I'd like to be able to DIY-it as the bubbling is hidden from view... is there such a thing as a Hammerite-style alloy paint? What's the best way to DIY it? Cheers, Sam

If you can't see it from the front when fitted, sand it back and paint over it till it goes over the outline of your original paint, this will stop everything getting under the paint and eventually bubbling round to the front.

You don't need alloy paint, any hamerite will do it, and a brush will make for a quicker and more sealed job.

I'd use a flap wheel in a drill to remove the paint from the affected area, use some thinners

to degrease the area then use an etch primer then paint.

Shouldn't have any rust if their aluminium alloy :)

Edited by dunk1

I'd use a flap wheel in a drill to remove the paint from the affected area, use some thinners to degrease the area then use an etch primer then paint. Shouldn't have any rust if their aluminium alloy :)

Hi, Well they're just the regular 'Style 44' that originally would have come with my motor... not sure what metals they're made out of? Cheers, Sam

Rub back the paint and see what the score is. Might need to be rust treated.

Rust treatment? on an alloy wheel? are you taking the piss? lol

You should be able to sand it back, and just get some mercedes brilliant silver paint from halfords and give it a few coats. remember to mask the front to prevent overspray.

Rub back the paint and see what the score is. Might need to be rust treated.

Rust treatment? on an alloy wheel? are you taking the piss? lol.

As he didn't state what wheels they were, and he said he had bubbling, i assumed they were steelies. Not hard to understand really.