Fenderboy

Rough idling, lumpy & cutting out

Hi all, had my E46 325i touring for nearly a week and the first problem presents itself! Was waiting at a jebel crossing earlier when the car began idling a little erratically, nothing dramatic. As I pulled away it sounded almost as if it wasn't running on all 6 cylinders. Power was through the floor, really sluggish. I nursed it to where it was going and started/stopped it a few times. I then put it up on a ramp at my friend's house whilst we looked underneath. We brought the car back down, all the time with the car idling fine. Poking around the engine bay, we found a split, well, a massive hole in what I assume is the crankcase breather, it tees off from the main air inlet after the filter. I didn't have anything to hand to make a temporary repair, so just thought I'd nurse it home. When setting off, all was well again. Power was back, car pulled really hard. Got home, went out again and it started back lumpy again and began cutting out. I took it straight back home and we went out in the wife's car instead. Could this (scary to me) behaviour be a result of the hole in the breather pipe, or do you think something else is at fault, maybe a coil or something? I'm going to try and make a temporary repair tomorrow and see how I get on. Thanks for reading, sorry about all the words!!! :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It sounds like you are describing a split in the lower intake boot where it T's off to the idle control valve.

They aren't that expensive to buy from the dealers.

Edited by B0B