Jump to content
bungers

HOW TO: Eonon D5150 firmware upgrade

Recommended Posts

Recently received my D5150 & whilst it was only ordered on 28th October, it seems that it didn't ship with the latest firmware versions available. As I'm always tinkering I sourced the firmware files & set about upgrading.

*Disclaimer* - This worked without a hitch on my unit, it came shipped with a V2 canbus box so is not one of the early models. That said, whilst it should work on all D5150's, I will not be held responsible for any issues which arise by you following these steps.

You'll need the extracted firmware files (obviously), a micro SD card, a laptop & the unit's power connector easily accessible, here's how:

1. Here's the unit's software state when I received it - MCU version V23, firmware version 404D, dated 3rd July, 2013:

zdmg.jpg

2. Copy the mcuupdate folder, MCU.bin & MCU.chk files to the root of the formatted (FAT32) micro SD card. With the unit turned off, put the card in the GPS slot. Turn it on & after a couple of seconds a window with some Chinese writing & tick & a cross pops up. Press the tick & wait while the MCU upgrades:

m6cs.jpg

3. Wait around 1 minute, then check your settings, navigation window, you should see that the MCU has been upgraded to V25:

czcf.jpg

4. Wipe the micro SD card & copy the NWD_703 folder to the root of it. Put the card back into the GPS slot & power up the unit. Once it is on, pull the power connector out of the unit. Wait 5-10 seconds & reconnect the power connector & turn the unit on. There will be a series of 'downloading images' messages (didn't get a photo of this part), then you will be presented with the touchscreen calibration screen. Calibrate the screen.

5. The unit will then boot, but be in Chinese. Go to settings & choose the language button (2 speech bubbles):

px2m.jpg

6. Choose English!:

hmsx.jpg

7. The settings, navigation screen should now show that the unit is running version 405F, dated 25th September, 2013:

3ann.jpg

You'll need to change the timezone & retune the radio, but any bluetooth pairings will still exist. So far the only change I've noticed is that the clock sets itself from the GPS receiver (this was after the MCU upgrade). I will update this if I find any later versions.

Files:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Edited by bungers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks bungers, excellent guide :) So, every time you need to do an update you need access to the unit's power lead? Which means removing all the trim and the unit? :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers, tbh I didn't try pressing the reset button, it may do the same job but the instructions stated that the power needed to be removed. I've updated the thread with the files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bungers,

Thanks a lot for you Manual! 100 times Thank you!

In attach are the pictures you miss.

By the way, how did you got the files?

I spoke and emailed EONON and they never send anything!

About the update itself, it solved (as far I can see):

-problem with the LED's light (before they were always on, now they switch with the car's dimmer and swicth),

-the problem with the volume at 1 (no volume before).

I already had the radio mounted, so (this is very importante) I used the car keys to do the PowerOff and PowerOn (instead using the the unit's power connector). Everything worked smooth!

Anyone used the SW1 and SW2 and Reverse?

Do you know how are they activated? (12V or Ground?)

Do you know what they do? (mute maybe?)

Best regards

Camera.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks femajocri, I'll get your pics up on the tutorial. Glad it's helped with some of your issues. I have a reverse camera wired up, it's triggered via a 12V feed from the reverse lights. Not used SW1/2 yet, they should be viewable by selecting aux?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks femajocri, I'll get your pics up on the tutorial. Glad it's helped with some of your issues. I have a reverse camera wired up, it's triggered via a 12V feed from the reverse lights. Not used SW1/2 yet, they should be viewable by selecting aux?

I want to mute my radio to ear the reverse beeps, I dont know how yet (maybe SW1 and SW2)

With our reverse camera, does it activate that input? (that would be more or less the same as mute)

Did you passed a cable from the reverse light till the radio, or did you used any wire near fuse?

Best regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When reverse is selected the screen switches to the camera screen so everything is muted anyway. Yes I ran a wire from the O/S reverse bulb.

There's a separate thread about the d5150, can you post in there so this how to doesn't get clogged up?

Edited by bungers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new version of the D5150 was just released by Eonon today. As far as I can tell it has the same hardware as the original D5150. It has screen mirroring, a feature I need ASAP. Any chance of getting download links to that software update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the GM5150 which does the screen mirroring, but I can't find the unit on their website to check out the new GUI, the YouTube vid makes the GUI look the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The iPod looks *slightly* different & the overlaid main menu graphics look like the old generic stuff. On the YouTube video the GUI looks the same as mine tbh. I'll probably get one once the GB link is activated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it'll have different hardware I doubt the firmwares are interchangeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows dude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having read on another forum somewhere that some boffin dumped and decompiled the firmware on the d5150,and mentioned that the screen mirroring software was already present (wish I could remember who it was)I am betting the hardware is all the same in these eonon bmw headunits,if I could come by the updated firmware for the gm5150,i'll try it, after all whats the worst that could happen?,brick the unit? then I will get to order a new one :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The manual mentions screen mirroring & the D5150 uses the same firmware as the G2240, which also doesn't have screen mirroring so I'm thinking it is a hardware thing tbh. Would be interested to hear of the outcome of your firmware upgrade though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

having read on another forum somewhere that some boffin dumped and decompiled the firmware on the d5150,and mentioned that the screen mirroring software was already present (wish I could remember who it was)I am betting the hardware is all the same in these eonon bmw headunits,if I could come by the updated firmware for the gm5150,i'll try it, after all whats the worst that could happen?,brick the unit? then I will get to order a new one :D

GM5150 firmware:

http://www.sbo2.com/cs_serial//BMW_APP_TW_4049-405F-0709-L146-131209.rar

This link came from Carlos at Eonon (via fanatics). I've got a GM5150 myself and used this to help fix a touch screen calibration issue.

In order to avoid a possible lawsuit, I'm clearly stating that you shouldn't use this. Of course if I nip out for a cuppa and you do it when I'm not looking, then there's nothing I can do ;)

Its worth noting that you don't need to unplug it (the instructions rather ambiguously state to turn the power off). I did card in - ignition on - reset button and then it updated fine.

Full review thread coming up soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eonon have said on E46F that the GM software isn't compatible with the D5150 unit which is pretty s**t considering at the time I bought mine they said the new UI would be updatable. A 70% chance of success or 30% chance of a blue screen and crashes apparently if anyone wants to attempt it. That being said there is a new software coming (apparently) that will update the D5150 the option to remove the huge clock on the main screen :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Might wang it on tomorrow and see what happens. Suppose I can always go back to the original firmware...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the difference between the 2 models

sent with tapatalk pro that mr feva can't use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screen mirroring and a different GUI (looks like the old Enco/other Early Dynavin copies if you ask me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...