Zonda_

Propshaft donut?

I've seen this mention on here but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. My auto makes a noise and judders when going from Drive to Reverse or vice versa. It is worse when cold. People have said it could be this donut that has/is failing. What is it and how can I check?

Its a rubber bush, and doesn't last long, maybe 50-60k miles tops. You can see it from underneath the car.

Edit - Beaten to it by Rich_D.... :thumbsup:

Edited by My Car Hates Me A Bit!

Ah cheers, it seems my car has been standing for a period of time before I bought it so I'm guessing it's perished. What do they cost to replace?

Get a decent one like Lemforder or Meyle, they're only about £40 for a 320d

Look on Euro Car Parts as they have a sale on, also check if the manual & auto are the same, I know they are different on the 330d

Mine was giving a knocking noise when going on and off the gas. The six metal joints were really loose as the rubber surround had worn ( was the original after 134k miles. )

Price varies on quality. Ecp has a sale on. £60 now odd for the lemforder I had put in the manual. Normally £80 ish. Cheap ones on eBay but that's your choice. Two and a half hours labour as exhaust has to come off first etc etc. All in it cost me £200 fitted as I got "best quality" from my Indy over cheaper options that ecp etc sell. Mines a 330cd

Edited by BmEagle

If you are mechanically competent. My Indy was 2.5 hrs. Exhaust out first, Search e46 prop donut replacement on YouTube. 16 minute cut down / edited vid is in there.
Cheers mate, needs replacing on my 5 series so I'm guessing it's pretty much the same process