andrewharvey

touring boot release

This happened on my old car, the rubber button had worn through and water got into the contact causing a random intermittent short. New switch wasn't too expensive from BMW but it was a bugger to get the old one off. I had to drill it (carefully!) in the end.

Looks like it's 61319218995 or 61319200673, both are £30.88.

I've just fixed an issue with broken wires on my convertible, and I have fixed broken wires on many cars before. They break in the rubber trunking from the boot to the car, as they get brittle over time.

If it is that, the best fix is heatshrink tubing and solder, but barring that connectors can do in a pinch.

if you don't use it or care about it fuse 58..................... i replaced the switch on mine and actually made it worse so i removed 58 :)

ps i'm fairly sure its 58.....................

The switch in the glass is purely mechanical or has electrical contacts?

It's an electrical switch that tells the General Module to pop the hatch. These switches can and do fail so that the rear glass hatch randomly opens. It's possible that it's the General Module, but unlikely. It's also possibly a dodgy button on the key fob, but my money is on the switch on the hatch.

It's not that hard to replace. See here:

http://mukerji.co.uk/e46-touring-boot-glass-switch-replacement/

Mine has been fine, but I did need to remove it when I fitted a new rear window.

Ian.

thanks all

Bought a new switch from main dealers...£31 inc VAT

Downloaded the above guide and went at it....

Old switch was seized to wiper spindle and was a bugger to remove...it had an aluminium insert....hacksaw WD40 and pipe-grips....got it off in the end

New one is an all plastic affair.....fitted in seconds - lets see if the problem is cured..............

Mine did it from water ingress through the numberplate lamp you could see the water had followed the wire from the lamp straight into the switch, I dried it out and replaced the lens which has a new gasket it didn't happen again and that was 6 months+ ago

Mine did it from water ingress through the numberplate lamp you could see the water had followed the wire from the lamp straight into the switch, I dried it out and replaced the lens which has a new gasket it didn't happen again and that was 6 months+ ago

You must have had issues with the main tailgate. We're talking about the split rear window and the button under the rear wiper spindle. You would struggle to get water in that from the number plate lights :)

Help!! You guys seem to be the ones in the know! My e46 tailgate glass will not open off the switch, simple fix you may say, but also my central locking does not work off the key, it did do before I bought it but then the previous owner phoned to say the fuse had blown for the locks/ window I've fixed the broken wires in boot but still cannot get them working