George

Touring boot lid glass. Is it hard to replace?

As title says, I found a rear glass with working heating elements and I am planning to replace the one on my car so that I can finally see through my rear view mirror. Anyone done this job? Is it a DIY or shall I get a garage to fit it when I do my service?

Thanks!

Ive seen Autoglass replace a rear window on my friends car and it takes about 10 minutes, if that, and they just use a piece of rope! I'm sure it would not be too hard to do yourself if you knew how to do it.

Maybe have a search around for how to and see, only you can decide if you are up to the job :)

Thanks! It doesn't look too bad really but i was hoping to find photos so that I know what to expect. I haven't found any "how to" guides yet.

Does anyone have access to BMW TIS to send me a PDF of the guide? I have TIS but I am on a Mac and it will not run...

George

I'd imagine most estate/Tourings will be the same... Have you checked you tube for some tips? I remember seeing it in Wheeler Dealers...

I replaced mine a while back. It's a bit fiddly aligning the new one back up, but certainly DIYable.

This is all from memory, so may not be 100% accurate.

Open main tailgate and remove plastic trim up near the hinges. There's a good chance the plastic pegs will snap off when you remove it. Mine did, so I had to get a new one. With this removed, you can access the fixings for the rear spoiler. Once the spoiler is off, you will find some wiring and an antenna amplifier underneath. This all has to be removed before you can remove the rear window.

I think it was then just 4 bolts that hold the rear window to the hinges. Be aware that the height of the window is controlled by metal shims between the window and the hinges. Take note of where these are fitted, as you need to put them back. My new window is ever so slightly lower on the passengers side. I did actually buy another shim, but have not managed to find time or enthusiasm to fit it.

I think that covers most of it, but I remember it being fairly obvious once you get stuck in. I used a new one, so had to swap all the rear window wiper and release button from the old to the new, but you may not have to do this on a used window. I vaguely remember the antenna amplifier being secured by some of those plastic rivets that have a pin that pushes through the middle. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to remove them. I managed to get mine out by drilling a hole in the metal panel behind them and pushing the pin out from behind. I was chucking the old window away anyway, so didn't mind doing this. I guess your used window may also come with this fitted, so you may be ok.

Cheers,

Ian.

As Ian said really. Nothing tricky or too complicated to it but do allow a good bit of time. It's not a 10 minute job as the first reply suggested, that must have been a loon or coupe.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Having found a Russian (!) TIS online website and using Google translate, the guide seems remarkably similar to how you remember things Ian.

George