The_Judge_

Sufs' 330d M Sport w/ SMG Paddleshift retrofit but otherwise generally falling apart body ....

Wife has been nagging about the dark grey respray I did on my seats (and I left the car very messy last time) so I've put everything back to normal and tidied up oversprays/mistakes from last time. First time I've had the seats out too, found a few fag ends, peanuts and 21p. For some reason ONE bolt doesn't want to go back in ... too knackered to investigate.

Sorry for the smudgy photos, I kinda got paint on my phone camera lens ...

38686151434_d602896450_b.jpg

27617153279_154a02e402_b.jpg

25524026128_e4ea87efe3_b.jpg

27617153419_563b80026d_b.jpg

38686162104_136f150344_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

I had that bolt problem on both my front seats - it'll go in some of the way, but not fully. A thick washer has fixed it for me as it's gone in far enough to allow full seat travel, and it's not fallen out yet!

I had that bolt problem on both my front seats - it'll go in some of the way, but not fully. A thick washer has fixed it for me as it's gone in far enough to allow full seat travel, and it's not fallen out yet!

I tried different bolts and they all fail, something wrong in the bolt hole it seems. Unfortunately I can't get it low enough for the seat to slide freely, problems ...

Anyway, found evidence the drivers seat has been out before, someone cable tied all the electrics instead of using the existing clips already in the seat.

Edited by The_judge aka Suf

So future plans for the car:

Urgh, sometimes I wonder why I don't just sell it ..... or maybe this forum is giving me too many ideas .. !

Turns out this is a common problem after some googling, a lot of people re cut the threads in the bolt hole. I bought a pack of washers and 45 mm length M10 bolts from screwfix for a couple of quid, problem solved :) Cept I have to use a 17mm socket for that bolt now ... can I live with the lack of uniformity !

Interesting ... seems simple, I already have a multi-function steering wheel though, so I don't have his luxury of free connections. Anyway, still some inspiration there! Thanks Shabaza :)

I had planned on changing my front discs today, but then decided I'd paint the calipers instead and do the disks over the weekend giving the paint time to set properly. Please note - this is a totally pikey job:

25524025658_21f4751115_b.jpg

25524018788_e5ed99a681_b.jpg

27617153009_4c6c07816a_b.jpg

Also, it gave me an excuse to try my new drill adapter bit, before tightening with a Torque Wrench:

24528761887_e98e58b9b7_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

Please note - this is a totally pikey job:

That's the Suf spirit! That's some impressive overspray too - good job you're changing those disks!

Please note - this is a totally pikey job:

That's the Suf spirit! That's some impressive overspray too - good job you're changing those disks!

Well knowing I was changing them, I was very liberal with spray ..... !

Makes sense. Might be worth removing the retaining clip/spring and giving them another quick spray so there's not an unpainted section underneath?

Makes sense. Might be worth removing the retaining clip/spring and giving them another quick spray so there's not an unpainted section underneath?

I guess I could do this when I change the discs? It will make me fee better because I'm pretty sure I will be cursing and swearing for 20 minutes after snapping the disc retaining bolt knowing me ....

Could do. Just put some newspaper or something behind it to keep the strut/hub clean. Spray some WD40 or something on it now so it can free off overnight? (Just don't be as liberal as you were with the paint!)

So, had a pretty sh8t weekend. On Saturday I tried to remove my front brake discs - the drivers side was rusted solid and wouldn't budge off. Anyway, in doing this job I proved my incompetence by snapping both bolts on the caliper by overtightening when i put the caliper back.

Then today, I erected my temp rain cover from Argos and tried to drill out the bolts. They didn't shift, managed to drill right through the bolts but the they are still stuck in the threads of the carrier. Oh well, hunt for new carriers tomorrow, or try and enjoy one day of the extended weekend ..!

27617153739_6098409410_b.jpg

25524025408_d50a9f1541_b.jpg

27617152869_e5ddce170d_b.jpg

38686151274_ffdb26a333_b.jpg

Gave up, put it all back together :(

38686151454_093fdbc648_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

Bad times. I tries to change over my rear discs yday while also under a gazebo... I Gave up after realising how tight the back bolts of the calipers were... Was way too scared to snap them and have nothing available to fix!

Good luck sorting it out buddy!

So, had a pretty sh8t weekend. On Saturday I tried to remove my front brake discs - the drivers side was rusted solid and wouldn't budge off. Anyway, in doing this job I proved my incompetence by snapping both bolts on the caliper by overtightening when i put the caliper back.

Then today, I erected my temp rain cover from Argos and tried to drill out the bolts. They didn't shift, managed to drill right through the bolts but the they are still stuck in the threads of the carrier. Oh well, hunt for new carriers tomorrow, or try and enjoy one day of the extended weekend ..!

IMG_20150503_125615889_HDR_zpsjth3mg6j.j

IMG_20150503_170029898_zpsusqieshi.jpg

IMG_20150503_170303319_zpsc7woqh8g.jpg

Gave up, put it all back together :(

IMG_20150503_171219400_zpsxbgb3gje.jpg

I would say heli coil normally ...

But on brakes is not a good idea, good luck tomorrow :)

Pete - BTW - the Cobalt drill bits are much better than the regular ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000R9Z5CM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

But as you advised, best technique is very slow drilling - with these bits:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-HSS-Center-Spotting-Drill-Bits-Tool-Center-Combined-Countersink-kit-High-Speed-/350925512809

Chewed through it all!

Just got back from a business trip. While I was away, my trusted mechanic fixed my brake f*ck up, he drilled out the snapped bolts and installed my Meyle Platinum discs :)

Also, got a present from Jay in the post :)

27617152779_483121db2d_b.jpg

38686161144_a3f6c88078_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_