The_Judge_

Sufs' 330d M Sport w/ SMG Paddleshift retrofit but otherwise generally falling apart body ....

I got the annoying air bag light sticking on this weekend, even after I cleared it using INPA. So bought this, seems to have cured t, but I hope its the kind which makes the car think the seat is ALWAYS occupied!

25524018428_c77a40045f_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

I tried to fix my passenger side windows regulator yesterday but couldn't because the ebay seller sent the wrong part. Managed to replace my Oil Breather though :) Today I tried to sort out the weak air-con on the passenger side, only to find out I bought the wrong part ...

Anyway, managed to tidy up my stereo. I've never been perfectly happy with it after I got the centre mount. I resprayed the black border bit from gloss (as it arrived) to matt black - blends in much better with the BMW centre mount. I managed to push the whole unit back as well a bit by pulling some of the cables through via the glove box so it doesn't stick out as much. Bit of an improvement, not perfect as the unit itself is still shiny/glossy:

25524024488_1f278ba4c2_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

same HU as me . Think i'll paint the surround as well now :D

What paint did you use? I'm gonna get me steering wheel refurbished sooner or later and need to paint the bottom trim as has some marks on it. Was recommended I get Plasticote black matt from screwfix as apparently its a perfect match.

As this was just a piece of plastic I just used some Halfords Matt Black regular bodywork spray. For the steering I think Plasticote would be better - I'm interested to see how yours comes out as I have the same issue (!)

Today, I tried (for the third and probably last time) to remove my snapped bolts from the join of my EGR/Inlet manifold. This time I used a Cobalt drill piece set which is supposed to be the toughest drill bits around and unfortunately didn't get very far.

So this was the EGR/Inlet Manifold this afternoon:

24528760957_e5818c4a21_b.jpg

and you can see the top left and bottom right clearly snapped:

25524024358_000499c3e8_b.jpg

38686150644_070b1a1b2b_b.jpg

I used my cobalt bits, centre drill bits and stud extractors without much luck, I couldn't drill far enough to get the extractors in:

38686160544_827f306da2_b.jpg

So eventually, I just siliconed it all up again and left it like this:

38686150534_258934acc2_b.jpg

It's been like this for a year or so, so I should be ok for another year or so ...!

Edited by The_Judge_

http://www.tristar-inserts.com/

Pull the old one out. And fit a new one. It'll be a bit of a d**k to remove bit it will come out.

....Phone.....

Can they be pulled out easily?

Small drill down the brass in 3 or 4 places to remove the old bolt then be careful not to catch the plastic and take more brass out until it's weak enough to remove

....Phone.....

Trip home from Tesco's was fun today, I encountered a Peugeot 206 driver that didn't understand roundabouts:

27617152099_2556feb25d_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

I'm letting Insurance handle it for now, they have already decided I was not at fault so let's see what happens from here ...!

Car drives fine, door opens ok, wheel seems ok but the rims were in pretty dire condition anyway.

So after the recent incident, I bought a cheap dashcam (A118C) off Amazon. So far so good, used it on the drive up to brum today, pretty good so far. Now I need to wire it properly to the cigarette lighter and test out motion detect mode, otherwise if thats naff on this camera(which I suspect i t may be) I'll wire it to the steering wheel so it only comes on everytime I turn on the car.

25524024198_21583e27be_b.jpg

27617152639_72e20774ae_b.jpg

25524018078_f294e5bfc0_b.jpg

27617151639_0bac13d339_b.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UUQD9L6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Edited by The_Judge_

So I tried to drill out my snapped EGR bolts again and after 20 minutes of slow drilling with a 1mm bit and cooling fluid I was getting nowhere. So, I went to my back up plan and braved doing something that I was always scared of -> I took my intake manifold off on my own. It was actually pretty easy especially having been walked through it by TriggerFish and Mr Xen a few months back, thanks lads :)

I bought Jamie330d's manifold which he took off his manual tourer that he recently sold in parts - so thanks to Jamie too! There were subtle differences between mine and his naturally:

24528760757_ab37be8a21_b.jpg

My one is the one on bottom. It has the swirl flaps and connection for the swirl flap actuator cable and also it had two plastic "legs". Otherwise though this one was a perfect fit and lucky for me the car started up ok afterwards :) It also gave me a chance to install new rubber gaskets too!

It was so good to see 4 holes again here finally (Ooer!)

27617151629_b2e6156ddd_b.jpg

I also decided to buy a new blanking plate, to give my Silicon hose more grip and add something shiny to the bay, I may spray it black one day:

25524023448_0e30565cc4_b.jpg

38686150394_9a3cb15d51_b.jpg

A year ago I wouldn't have been able to do this job, 2 years ago I paid someone else twice to take my manifold off, for two different jobs.

The help and confidence gained from this zone has been great, the zone rocks! Thanks peeps :)

Here's my DIY - 

Edited by The_Judge_

Hey bud, great write up and definitely a labour of love :) Car looks great and you have tackled some things I haven't done yet. Looking forward to using your guide for removal of EGR system.

I have just bought a manual 330cd, 04 plate so newer engine. The impulsiveness took over on viewing (and a longgggg trip) and I parted with my money.

Things I picked up on: Thermostats were shagged, headlight tabs had been broken as it had had a front end impact, swirl flaps needed doing, EGR probably needs cleaning out, front seats are a little tired, steering wheel is worn, Drivers doorcard doesn't fit properly, electric mirrors dont work, headlight washers dont work, headlights adjusted very low, needs a coolant and oil change.

Things I found out after: Offside headlight insides are broken so it wobbles round (Xenon too!), rear topmounts need changing, there is a leak from underneath, doesn't seem to be engine oil.

As you have probably learned, they definitely need money spending to keep them up to scratch! Im not unhappy, its a project. Keep up the good work bud!