The_Judge_

Sufs' 330d M Sport w/ SMG Paddleshift retrofit but otherwise generally falling apart body ....

Managed to work out why I wasn't getting any radio signal in my new Chinese unit, I managed to break the fakra connector on the cable when removing the old radio - it actually fell off today.

39364203022_e77b5576ac_b.jpg

38686167894_538956c5fe_b.jpg

Since I don't know how to solder yet, I just bodged a repair by taping a new female fakra connection temporarily. But, I do have radio back now, managed to root the unit and installed many goodies :)

Edited by The_Judge_

Is it difficult to root these units just got mine hopefully fitting it this wkend 

You need to work out what type of unit you have, you then need to find the right update file on xdadevelopers, you need to put it on an sd card, then bounce the unit and force it to flash, no cables just holding down buttons. So, The act of rooting was easy, however, finding the right file and risking it scared me, I almost sh#t my pants, I've bricked many android devices in my time ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah I see well is a xtrons unit which chimp choker had put a link to, had a look on xda developments at various posts looks quite complex with some items, am just wanting a decent sat nav , music and radio apps plus a good interface

You only need to root to override default music player. Mine is xtrons too, you just needed to hold volume/ on off together I'll try and dig out the links later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got everything here needed to solder, if it helps...

8 minutes ago, TriggerFish said:

Got everything here needed to solder, if it helps...

What you doing this weekend ? :) I'm willing to help you in return !

21 minutes ago, Fitz2282 said:

Ah I see well is a xtrons unit which chimp choker had put a link to, had a look on xda developments at various posts looks quite complex with some items, am just wanting a decent sat nav , music and radio apps plus a good interface

So for me, since I have Android 4.4.x the rooting process is really easy. It was - power the unit on, go to settings about unit and work out the MCU Version (MTCB-GS in my case)

Get a dedicated SD -Card which you will always use as the maps for your chosen Navigate app

As mine was an MCU unit, I downloaded the file I needed here by matching the specific MCU unit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61291848&postcount=14139, in worse case you will need to download your file from here: http://huifei.fs-fileserver.de/content/

Then head over to here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2660662

err ( I skipped the backup step)

Click on the button for Upgrading the unit on page above.

Stick your files onto the GPS SD card (in my case I only needed one file)

In my case, I had to turn the car off, take key out of ignition. I then held both the left button (volume/on off) and right button together for about 5 seconds, then let go of right button only, and continued holding the left button for about 20 seconds, then let go of it. The unit boots up to the bios-style menu. Use the volume control to go down to boot from image on sd-card (I can't remember the exact version), long-press to select it, and then away you go.

Without rooting it, you can access the google play store and directly install apks anyway - and you can use the menu to set the default navigation app - it's under GPS settings.

Once rooted, you can then do stuff like override the default music player which responds to your steering remote. Thanks to dontpanic off this forum he told me to install xposed framework, install xposedmtc (just google them). Then go back to the page above and get apk's which look interesting by pressing the "apps that do wonders button). Since I'm usng PowerAmp, I got the GALA and PowerAmpToast and MicrontekHeadUnitService.

18 minutes ago, The_Judge_ said:

What you doing this weekend ? :) I'm willing to help you in return !

Ah, nothing interesting :(

Dad's helping me drill out some bolts on the e30 on sunday, and I can't do anything else until then (they hold the subframe in). Engine is nearly ready to remove, but I'm waiting on a load balancer for it to arrive. If you can wait til next weekend, there should be the scope to do something interesting if you're up for it. 

19 minutes ago, TriggerFish said:

Ah, nothing interesting :(

Dad's helping me drill out some bolts on the e30 on sunday, and I can't do anything else until then (they hold the subframe in). Engine is nearly ready to remove, but I'm waiting on a load balancer for it to arrive. If you can wait til next weekend, there should be the scope to do something interesting if you're up for it. 

Ahh - I'm off on hols this Tuesday. See you in March then !

Edited by The_Judge_

Bring me back a nice present for my 25th on Wednesday! ;)

Have a good time though. South Africa agin?

Just now, TriggerFish said:

Bring me back a nice present for my 25th on Wednesday! ;)

Have a good time though. South Africa agin?

Hahah - yes South Africa for a wedding, first time for me in 4 years ....

On 12/04/2015 at 22:06, The_Judge_ said:

So future plans for the car:

Urgh, sometimes I wonder why I don't just sell it ..... or maybe this forum is giving me too many ideas .. !

Had the car for two years now,  looking back at what I planned for the past 10 months,  somehow I wasn't far off ....

Just orders some leds, need to get my wheels repaired as it turns out its leaking air from distortion in one of them .... would like to get electric seats .....

Back from holidays, so I installed my LED lights which arrived in the post (see Hoggers' thread for info on which ones I bought) : http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/62238-bmw-e46-330d-m-sport-2001-saloon/?do=findComment&comment=905043

38686166894_f46d0b8f27_b.jpg

Also removed the extended paddles and fitted the original OEM paddles to compare and contrast the feeling:

39364201572_42e43f35c7_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

All back together AGAIN and my reverse sensors work again. Hopefully no more rear end bumps for a while ....!

39394252751_3853fcf1b6_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

So, it seems I'm having similar luck as Nimrayn this week ... sigh - is this car worth all the trouble ???

38686166584_06afa92cbb_b.jpg

38686165834_07f95151e5_b.jpg

38686165674_e104d8c2aa_b.jpg

38686165494_93b6185e88_b.jpg

Got it towed and parked at John (my mechanics place). At first glance it should just be two new ball joints, new wing, but it's the hassle which is annoying .....

38686165424_16d2a9b6ae_b.jpg

38686165344_c96861202b_b.jpg

Edited by The_Judge_

:(

On the bright side - at least you didn't hit anything/vear out of control. It could have been very very nasty!

Thanks,  I'm suspecting a certain tyre centre in Harrow I visited a few months back over tightened a few things when they replaced my tie rod ends,  causing the sheared bolt for the ball joint, but I have no proof ... my wife was driving it alone at the time and got the shock of her life ... and yes Joe, she was lucky she didn't hit anything at all ..... you could see though from the trail in the ground that the momentum of the car dragged it forward a few metres before she stopped.  There was a massive pot hole in the road just before it happened ...

Edited by The_Judge_

Ouch!!!!

That's not good mate, as Kirky said, I'd be on to the council about that pot hole. There are lots about round my way that I keep having to avoid. Hope you get it sorted bud. 

Hey judge..

shame me about your car and hope you get it sorted. I watched your video of your accident. Do you live in Birmingham as you were traveling past villa park, not so far from me in great barr..