The_Judge_

Sufs' 330d M Sport w/ SMG Paddleshift retrofit but otherwise generally falling apart body ....

1 hour ago, kirkynut said:

I can't see the photos on that thread. Can you pop some on here? What's Merc ownership like?

Kirkynut 

Interesting, hopefully these pics work:

48158558241_fe6892157e_o.jpg

48158558056_b9540f81ef_o.jpg48158557826_fa95ebbeeb_o.jpg

1 hour ago, kirkynut said:

I can't see the photos on that thread. Can you pop some on here? What's Merc ownership like?

Kirkynut 

It's different. The car I've got is 3.0 petrol with the AMG Sports setup (obviously it's not an actual AMG - so kinda like my M Sport was not an M3), it allegedly had 228hp when new, and I managed to get one with auto gearbox again (for the missus) but flappy paddles for me (7 speed auto) and it's only got 76k on the clock even though it's from 2007.

The car is obviously newer and feels classier inside and out, really comfortable leather seats, really nice to have working radio with no interference. The drive is way smooth and comfortable and I really like so much about it, the electric seats are awesome. The panoramic sunroof is amazing, the speakers are awesome for stock.

But there things I need to get used to or change/improve with time. Basically I modded my beemer so much that I didn't realise it and miss it in hindsight - it's like when you move out of a property and only then realise how much crap you bought. I now want to do all the changes I made to the beemer to this car.

In the 330d, the flappy paddles gave me much more control and a more fun ride, if I used the power I felt powerful on the road and I felt in control. In this car, I'm struggling to match the fun - it's just a nice comfortable ride, I put my foot down and I don't hear or get much feedback but suddenly notice I'm breaking the speed limit it kinda just happens but I wasn't connected to it happening if that makes sense. If I stick it in sports yeah, it's aggressive but still comfortable. In manual mode, I notice when I start the car moves off in 1st gear which gives me the sh*ts as I panic and jump into second for fear of f*cking up the engine. Second has a lot of power, but then that's it, upper gears don't have much oomph, unless I push down- so the power range is concentrated in low rpms. Yeah yeah, I know what everyone is thinking, you bought an Auto Suf, what did you expect, but tbh the 330d never felt like a compromise. Maybe I just need to change my driving style or adjust my ears, I'm changing gears too soon.

Also, I haven't really driven it much aggressively, but I don't feel the same confidence and control round corners. This could be fixed by a couple of things, I think the poly bushes in the beemer helped keep it stable meaning I could be a bit more 'loose' round bends. Also, I'm sure some uniroyals would give me some grip - at the moment it has conti's on the front but unknowns on the rear so unusual setup - I had staggered on the 330d. Also I get the occasional clunking, and I think it' sway bar links which seems like a common issue.

Also - I got used to my android unit on my beemer. I could launch waze, play music or stream from my phone. There are some really nice androids for the merc, but they look naff anfdthen the decent ones cost £5-600  so I'm not going to bother. So I'm living with a crappy merc radio system, the bluetooth only connects to the phone but doesn't sync contacts. To stream music I had to buy a separate usb adapter, which works but not great.

However, the merc forum scene still seems alive, and not like e46zone, so still room for getting advice without having to resortto facebook. Anyway, it's early days, I have hope I will get used to the car and make it fun!

Lol. Yip - this forum is pretty much dead now.. There's probably 4-5 of us left and that's it. lol. Oh well...

Mate of mine has a 2011 E350Cdi - nice car!

Wonder if you can get the gearbox mapped to change gears better?

On 30/06/2019 at 13:54, momo said:

Lol. Yip - this forum is pretty much dead now.. There's probably 4-5 of us left and that's it. lol. Oh well...

Mate of mine has a 2011 E350Cdi - nice car!

Wonder if you can get the gearbox mapped to change gears better?

Just fine the merc equiv of throttle adaptation reset, and learned the engine sounds, car responds much better now 👍🏽 

Edited by The_Judge_