TriggerFish

Joe's E30 325i Sport - new engine started!

So.

I've wanted one of these for about two years. I've finally left uni and got into a position where buying one was worthwhile/justifiable.

I had been holding out for a white one, but this came up locally so I went to have a look, and ended up buying it.

It's had 5 previous owners, was been garaged stored, has done 7,000 miles since 2006 with the same owner since 1996, and has less rust than my e46. I think the spare tyre is the original too!

Spec includes luxury items such as mechanically adjustable rear headrests (oooo), heated driver's door lock (aaah), heated leather seats (working), map/mirror lights and wipers for the headlights.

First thoughts are it drives great! No banging/clunks/noises/sloppiness. Just needs the speedo wires replacing, and the driver's seat reclining mech. fixing.

I met up with Mr Xen after buying it, as he lives just around the corner from the seller, and when parked up already had one person ask questions about it, and take a couple of photos on their phone. :D

My first thoughts were to use it for fast road/track use, but I'm thinking I'll just restore it to factory fresh, and modernise a couple of bits like the brakes and new shocks/springs.

Not much else to say for now, but here's some photos:

_DSC0598.jpg

_DSC0594.jpg

_DSC0601.jpg

And one with Mr Xen's 330cd

_DSC0592.jpg

It's really dusty in the photos, but will give it a good polish and wax over the weekend.

Edited by TriggerFish

Cheers guys, I love it! :D

Ryan, there's a tiiiny bit of rust on the scuttle panel which I need to do. Longer term there's also a tiny amount on one of the front wings and sun roof insert. They're both removable panels so aren't top priority. Apart from that and the speedo wires/seat it's fine.

There's a couple of trim rattles too, but otherwise nope, just drive and enjoy it!

Oh, and yes, I need to remove the ///M badges before anyone tells me! Just need to work out how to remove the front one, and get some stuff dug out of the garage to polish the boot lid after.

Very nice Joe! Although the lack of miles and dodgy speedo wires would worry me, does it work but doesn't light up, or am I reading it wrong?

Saw a nice convertible one of these in Weymouth on Sunday, looked really good!

Quite like the small front M badge actually, BMW have started doing this now.

Edited by bungers

Cheers. I'm not a huge fan of the 'vert, the boot lid looks a bit too short/disproportioned.

Sorry, bit ambiguous. The speedo works, sort of. It bounces between 0 and a speed as the signal cuts out. I think it's all genuine, and the date stamps on the tyres (3003, so week 30 2003) and the amount of tread left tie in fully with a car that's done 30,000 miles since 2003 (MOT history).

It started off fine on the test drive, and then has got progressively worse.

Plus the MOTs and history go back to the PDI, and it all tracks back accurately, as does the condition of service items etc, and MOT tests the speedo I think?

Sexy sexy car :) I like it so so much...... But you already knew that :lol:

I.M.O keep it factory fresh B)

Well done on the new addition :) just makes my hunger pangs for an E30 even worse :)

Thank you for the picture plug as well :wub:

Edited by Mr Xen

Fair enough Joe, I would say the tyres are a good indication it's all legit, although I'd want to replace them! Doesn't sound like it'll take much to get it all tidied up, then you can just enjoy it!

Cheers guys.

Agreed on the tyres too. That's a job for next month I think. Should have some overtime from some emergency weekend cover I did which should cover them.

Pete, get one so we can be e30 fwends!

Call it an investment for 'bell and see what laura says!

Cheers guys.

Agreed on the tyres too. That's a job for next month I think. Should have some overtime from some emergency weekend cover I did which should cover them.

Pete, get one so we can be e30 fwends!

Call it an investment for 'bell and see what laura says!

Funny you say that... Was it really too much work to be done on the other E30?

Pictures are already lined up for bells approval

Will let you know the outcome :D

Edited by Mr Xen

Funny you say that... Was it really too much work to be done on the other E30?

Pictures are already lined up for bells approval

Will let you know the outcome :D

Yes. Rusted roof, c pillar, floor, possible bulkhead plus other minor bits of the car like doors and bonnet.

I'm thinking the same too now syxx, just keep it tidy and enjoy it for what it is.

Edited by TriggerFish

Drove it to work today, so got a bit of a better feel for what's what. It's a lot comfier than the e46 now I can compare down roads I know, and with better/more supportive seats. I guess massive sidewalls and stock suspension help though! At 70mph it's just over 3k rpm, and is quiet enough inside you could easily travel decent distances down motorways without any issues, which sort of surprises me.

The MPG gauge is broken - it's either 0mpg if you touch the throttle, or 50+ if you don't, nothing in between.

I opened the glovebox and knocked a connector, which caused the indicator fuse to blow, but I replaced it and it's been fine since. Need to look into that though, but for now, I just won't go near the glovebox!

It could also do with a faster steering rack IMO, it seems very slow compared to the e46. And finally, the brakes are a bit wooden, although affective enough (much like my old Polo GTI). Will try bleeding them and see if that improves it.

Apart from that, I can't fault it :)

Are the brakes in these servo assisted? Ive been reading the recent pistonheads article on E21s and they mention a similar experience with the brakes being due to the unassisted brake pedal. You've got me looking at E21s and E30s now, damn you!

Edited by MRyan

There was a lovely 323 e21 on eBay recently. A friend's mum used to have one - happy memories of those cars!

I think there's a servo, but it's on the passenger side IIRC. It's got ABS too, but I doubt that makes a difference to pedal feel. I'll check later though.