TriggerFish

Joe's E30 325i Sport - new engine started!

Yes, I park up the Z4m when I collect the E30, thanks for keeping it safe in the locukp.

I think some renegotiation is needed before contracts are signed...

Yes, I park up the Z4m when I collect the E30, thanks for keeping it safe in the locukp.

I think some renegotiation is needed before contracts are signed...

Joe how about you go and get that LEAF you desire so much, I'll take the E30 off your hands, free of charge! Just think how much more time you would be able to spend with the LEAF.

No, I'll pop in and see them on Monday before work to book it in, just to check they're still happy to weld it.

The red wing is one I bought when we thought the 3rd party replacement one wouldn't fit (they managed to adjust the new 3rd party wing in the end). Given that wing has to come off for the welding, I thought I'd use that old tatty one to save potential damage to my freshly painted one :)

Edited by TriggerFish

Cheers Suf :) You'll have to pop down for a spin when it's done

Just got an insurance quote of £297 for the year too. Not bad, considering it's just a generic Admiral quote, and not a classic policy (I'm too young to quality still - most want you to be 25, or are £*,000s if they will quote at all). Not agree value is the only problem.

(It's actually cheaper to insure than the 330d, even with 0 NCB on it, which is surprising!)

Edited by TriggerFish

Cheers, I'll be prouder-er when it's finished though! :)

I know, I was pleased! (24, 7 years license, 0 claims/accidents, for reference.) The 330d, with mods declared is only £362 (£300 without mods). I put in a couple of possible new cars too, and they all came back around £300-£340ish, so it looks like it's fairly stable now.

I think a being a 'systems analyst' and not a student any more is helping things too.

That was admiral mutlicar. Its weird; I got a quote with my 330d, abd the e³0 was £302. I changed the 330d for something else, and it dropped to £297. Not sure how their pricing model works if one car impacts the cost of another? Unless a total discount is applied over all cars? Either way, its cheap enough, so I'm happy

MOT booked for Friday @ 12. I'm wondering on how long the fail sheet is going to be...

I'm expecting rust, and at least headlight aim, possibly ABS light on startup (if I can't fix it in time), and maybe front brake hoses.

Wipers on, washers working (although only one of three pumps is doing anything...) indicator fixed on for the MOT (glue guns ftw! It's red though, so at least it's colour coded :) I couldn't get the retaining plastic nut thing out of the good wing, so glue seemed like a non-damaging solution), number plate attached. ABS light narrowed down to a blown voltage protection relay from jump starting it (why not just use a fuse?!).

2015-06-08%2021.36.49.jpg

Insurance is down to £234, for an agreed value classic policy, with Admiral. Well happy with that tbh! The road tax is nearly more than the insurance - I didn't think I'd ever end up in that boat unless I got another RX-8 or something else equally bad on emissions!

It's grim up north though! :D

Thats expensive though (unless it included all the brakes, body work etc?), but cheap to add the sc at just over 10% of the premiu .

MOT status: fail. I've never had such a long MOT outcome before! :lol:

_DSC2387.jpg

_DSC2389.jpg

_DSC2390.jpg

Basically it failed on loose wiring (opps), the clips that hold the sill covers on protruding (but at least the sills were inspected this way), loose steering rack gaiters, and two bits of rust - one I 'made' by the bracket that holds the driver's front brake hose to the car, and another small hole next to a repaired section. The big hole by the throttle isn't a failure point. Thankfully, it passed on the ABS system :) I'm guessing it's due to the fact that the light isn't marked in the cluster.

_DSC2388.jpg

I've got a new bulb to go in, and four new tyres to go on. The seats are obvious, and the brake hoses I was planning to replace anyway.

I went to see the body shop, and I'm taking it to them tomorrow, and they say it'll be done by Tuesday, including the hole that wasn't a failure. We'll see...

It drove OK though - but very, very, very loud. The engine is a tappy old thing, and it sounds incredibly loud at high RPM with no interior (not good loud either - this engine isn't as happy being revved out, even compared to my 330d!). Brakes are scary bad, but haven't bedded in yet. Tracking is miles out, it seems, and the back end is a bit loose - I guess due to bushes? (Not an advisory, so maybe not...)