TriggerFish

Joe's E30 325i Sport - new engine started!

Yeah, its too close probably, but a target is good to have.

I'd like to change it, magnaflow sound best so far IMO, but I'd rather get it up and running first :) I'll be getting some tips for it anyway as the ones on there rusted away :(

Just wanted to say; nice burble! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

I'm pissed, sort of, right now, but still...

P.S. got this right now: You have posted a message with more emoticons than this community allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

...LOL

Edited by TOOM

I'm pissed, sort of, right now, but still...

Drinking on a Tuesday? Hardcore! ;)

There's a possible promotion at work, in this month or two, than there's is should I MOT my Ford this July, or ... ah, doesn't really matters...

Need some sleep lol, anyway every excuse for a Paulaner! Wheat!

Edited by TOOM

Bit more time spent on it today. It now idles properly (it was just the missing pipe).

I've managed to remove nearly all final traces of non-OEM wiring. The only bits left are bits I'd want to use, like the power source for the Road Angel, and the power ariel.

When I first stripped it apart, I managed to remove this much wiring:

DSC_0909.jpg

Today, I managed to remove this much extra(!)

2015-02-18%2016.19.30.jpg

The PO liked his dodgy aftermarket stuff, that's for sure!

On the rust front, I've found a very promising place in Aylesbury who do rust repairs and MOTs, who are happy to fix the hole in the bulkhead. They've also said they'll MOT it without the dashboard, interior, rear windscreen etc., and so long as the lights, brakes etc., all work, then it should pass. That will solve a logistical nightmare if I can get it all done in one place. My Scottish blood says I'll wait until the MOT runs out (27th Feb), so I can drive it to the MOT place without having to buy any tax ;)

Did you manage to rope Sam in to helping you with the PAS .... Joe?

No, I left the pas stuff at home :)

Found a few more imperfections to raise with the body shop too :(

Bugger :(

Errr, yea, sorry about that!

At least I'm not the only one .... Do it ;)

So, with thanks to Mr Xen/Pete, I've changed the cam belt :) Never done one before, but it was a fairly simple job (I guess a DOHC would be harder), although there were some complications with a couple of snapped bolts.

I'm currently waiting on changing the steering rack before putting the alternator on (and the PAS/alternator belts), as the alternator blocks the PAS pump, so I thought I'd make life easy and leave the alternator out for un-encumbered access. I just need to buy some new PAS (ATF) fluid and find a ball joint splitter to get the old rack off.

The doors are hung and have latches again now too, so one step closer to being MOT'able, and the wiring loom grommet seems to be fitted properly now. I just need to test it's water tight, and assuming it is, I'll run a bead of sealant around it, just to make sure!

While the front of the car was apart for the cam belt, I took the chance to remove and clean up a few bits, using either paint, 303 aerospace, or just soap & water. I doubt anyone will ever see these parts, but it keeps me happy!

Water pump pulley

_DSC2011.jpg

_DSC2044.jpg

Water pipe that runs across the front of the block.

_DSC2037.jpg

_DSC2038.jpg

_DSC2045.jpg

_DSC2046.jpg

_DSC2020.jpg

_DSC2031.jpg

_DSC2025.jpg

I'd hate to have all that work done on my car and not clean up the little bits, even as you said the things that don't get seen.

How have you found doing all this work (the whole project), what's the learning curve like? I'd love to do the same but I have absolutely no mechanical experience.

Good work, it's coming along really nicely.

Its interesting, depressing at times, yet interesting. Before starting, i could do a basic service, change brakes and had swapped my coil overs on and odd jobs like replacing my radiator/removing my inlet manifold to replace a cracked water pipe, but that was about it. (My career is in IT, so mechanical stuff is new to me, apart from messing wit mountain bikes as a teenager.)

As long as things go well, and you can yield a spanner, its not too hard. Most things are very well documented, and these are so easy to work on its simple to figure stuff out. I struggle when thing sieze, snap, round off - I don't know what to do, and generally screw things up further.

I've learnt a lot, and gain confidence, and patience doing this though. I'd like to start again and weld it myself, but I'm still not in a situation where thays a viable option. As long as theres no welding involved, id encourage you to go for it. To strip thr car down is easy, and will give you a feel for the job at hand, and an idea of what you're facing. :)

It's definitely one of those things that seems more daunting than it actually is, especially with all the resources available. However even with all the resources there must have been times where things just didn't do as they where supposed to, things like this are a bit off-putting and this isn't really a project you can start and not finish.

I might just follow the same route you took, strip it down, get a body shop to sort out any rust (I'm sure there will be some) and then put it all back to together whilst refreshing each part.

Thanks for that, you've given me a nice confidence boost!

Its interesting, depressing at times, yet interesting. Before starting, i could do a basic service, change brakes and had swapped my coil overs on and odd jobs like replacing my radiator/removing my inlet manifold to replace a cracked water pipe, but that was about it. (My career is in IT, so mechanical stuff is new to me, apart from messing wit mountain bikes as a teenager.)

As long as things go well, and you can yield a spanner, its not too hard. Most things are very well documented, and these are so easy to work on its simple to figure stuff out. I struggle when thing sieze, snap, round off - I don't know what to do, and generally screw things up further.

I've learnt a lot, and gain confidence, and patience doing this though. I'd like to start again and weld it myself, but I'm still not in a situation where thays a viable option. As long as theres no welding involved, id encourage you to go for it. To strip thr car down is easy, and will give you a feel for the job at hand, and an idea of what you're facing. :)

As joe said.... Generally working on the e30's are a really good car to cut your teeth on

Dont be afraid to try... The simplicity of these engines are brilliant

Doing the valve timings and cam belt with Joe, have been a learning curve .... But not one that I wouldn't do again :)

Fortunately for me my car had a 'new' M20 with only 79k-ish miles on it completely re-built and swapped in not too long before I bought the car (old one had something snap off inside). It runs incredibly well.

Mechanically there are still other things I'd like to do, suspension overhaul, get the slipper re-built and some other bits, but most of my time would be spent on cleaning up and replacing things like rubber seals, the interior and the bodywork. I'm sure I'll find lots more to do on the way though.

It's just a bit scary taking on a project as big as this with no previous experience, I suppose you've got to start somewhere though, but as you rightly said Mr Xen this is probably quite a good car to start on considering there isn't a huge amount of tech behind it.