momo

eBay Tuning boxes.. Very interesting!

I've just come across this video on Facebook - it's a video which fully tests "a" performance chip bought from eBay.

Now I know some chips seem to work, but I found this very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtImIP6j3A&list=UUgJRL30YS6XFxq9Ga8W2J3A&feature=share&index=1

Especially the bit at the end where the electrical engineer has had a look at it.

It's a long video but well worth a watch!

Also - because of this i'd never buy one! Remaaaaaaaaaaaap only for me! :D

Wow, that's pretty damning!

In fairness, the phrase 'chip' is a bit ambiguous, as with older cars, like the E30, you don't map the stock ECU (or in the most part you don't), you buy another EEEPROM chip with a new map on it already. It's basically the same as a generic remap, but for the old school ECUs. These too are about the same cost and do give results.

They do quite a few good things. The leaf blower supercharger/electric turbos was quite good too.

Tuning boxes are another can of worms. So do 'stuff', so are just resistors.

My dad has had a tuning box on hie e90 320d for 5-6 years. Big improvment on power no difference on economy and it's caused no problems at all. Cost around a hundred quid. Brother just bought one too and his is great in a 120d

I think tuning boxes can work in Diesels, but definitely not on a petrol. Either way, best to just get it remapped and get a custom map for your car - no car will be the exact same.

Ps, MCM youtube is amazing, check out their other vids