Ashley1995

Ash's 325 E30 - Restoration

She's off the road, I've started working on her. little bits at the moment but i really need to sit down and write a plan of what needs doing and what order to do it.

Sad to think i won't be driving it for a good 6 months maybe more. Hopefully though she will be better than ever soon enough :)20be3664a6081ac7dcce5149499f6db9.jpg

Edited by Ashley1995

car looks awsome !!!wish i had a garage like that !spent the last coule of evenings in the rain fitting kawasaki ninja carbs to my e30 ......

Thanks man, Joe is right. Pictures please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I got the front of the car up in the air, had a look around to see where things are leaking from. It seems oil is leaking from the sump gasket, this must have not been on quite correctly when i changed the sump a while back.

Clutch fluid which slowly leaks seems to be coming somewhere near the slave cylinder so this needs looking at. And power steering fluid was coming from the reservoir, seemed a hose wasn't attached quite correctly.

So I pulled the pump out as this needed changing, drained the system, took out the reservoir and hoses off too. Then started cleaning up the brackets and pulley and noticed the pump I had bought from a breakers wasn't the same...

After looking at RealOEM it seems the one i had been sold was actually from an E34. The pressure rating is different and the brackets don't line up with the mounting points.

Annoying!

Also been making a list of all the bits i want/need to do/ hopefully all with the next 7 months or so! ready for next summer. Also want to raise it up as i have realised it is to low! :ph34r:

Went to Halfords as well as i needed two more Jack Stands, but for only £15 more than two stands I got a jack, two stands, a lay on trolly, and a couple of other bits in one kit for just £40. No brainer!

Here's the pump i took off:

74D2E016-EB76-4213-ADE1-54E992002D6E_zps

Here's the one sold to me wrongly:

4C535546-067C-4A24-A381-68E28D668216_zps

4BB9FEC1-97D2-4328-A8EA-54874250BB0A_zps

Edited by Ashley1995

130 bar pump - would make the steering a lot lighter too!

I think (from a discussion on E30zone) that a Z3 pump, which is 98 bar, will bolt straight on, and will increase steering weight a bit. Something to consider?

What are you plans for it while it's off the road though?

I'd also advise never touching the torsion system on the rear boot mechanism - we spent all afternoon fighting it, and it's still not together!

130 bar pump - would make the steering a lot lighter too!

I think (from a discussion on E30zone) that a Z3 pump, which is 98 bar, will bolt straight on, and will increase steering weight a bit. Something to consider?

What are you plans for it while it's off the road though?

I'd also advise never touching the torsion system on the rear boot mechanism - we spent all afternoon fighting it, and it's still not together!

There's a whole list of bit and pieces, mostly bits I want to do rather than need to do.

Brake lines is a must as they were an advisory on the MOT but while doing them for good measure I'm going to do discs, pads, hoses, etc as well.

Steering pump, sort small oil leak, sort small clutch fluid leak.

Id also like to get all new seals for the diff, change the gear linkage (maybe a Z3 short shift conversion) tidy the engine bay properly, sort out the small rust under the boot lid. Also the bottom of the doors are staring to rust so I want to strip those back and respray.

I'd like to change to coilovers with more adjustment and raise the car up. change the wheels as well and there lots of bits and pieces i just want to remove, respray and re-fit

It sounds like it has loads of issues, It doesn't, its just I would like it to be as top quality condition as I can get it! ^_^

Edited by Ashley1995

I could be interested in the wheels if your ever willing to let them go ?

I will be soon, they could do with a refurb though.

I will let you know more when I come to selling them!

Pulled out the steering rack today, replaced the rack boots and cleaned up and greased all the joints.

The track rods are under a year old and the ball joints in good condition, so I just gave them a quick lick of paint rather than replacing them.

Started to strip the front end and sanded some bits down that needed it.

There's a small body paint shop literally next door to me I found today. They'll make up any colour for £10 a can and supply anything you can think of for bodywork.

1d5a8d8f46ca6f3abfe38297f2dbcaad.jpg19c78964f8ae250d33791354f6588764.jpge0f7db3a786faef69c15f886a48f78be.jpg92ea176a0c5069e75d3f88cc7cf1991e.jpg

Today I stripped some more of the front end. I removed the headlights and removed the one motor for the headlight wipers. Annoyingly someone in the past has removed the wipers and one motor but left the reservoir and the other.

I'm going to remove the rings around the lights and respray them black, without the small clips that the wipers rest on.

Started to sand down little areas that have some surface rust or bad paint. Found a rusty bit, poked through and now there's a large gap... So that needs welding but I knew there would be areas that need attention so I'm not to worried. I didn't get a picture of this so will next time. You can just see the hole in the first picture below. Bottom left of the washer bottle.

My original plan was to just fix all the little bits that needed doing and use it next summer again, but now I'm thinking the car deserves the love and attention so I'll slowly be restoring it properly.

81389f75abbe061b353f8dbd602b1284.jpg006bec04cf63437a4a6c01e6f778c0c4.jpg

Edited by Ashley1995

Bit more sanding, and now needs a bit more welding.

Rather frustrating finding the car isn't as solid as I first thought, it looked okay but under the paint I'm finding bits that need doing. Luckily it's nothing overly structural. Both front wing corners need doing now. At least once done I will know it's solid and done properly.

14d68b866d8250f27e709278056c853a.jpg61ed29d91dc87ab96befb541932cbec9.jpg

Edited by Ashley1995

Stripped some more down today;

Drained the coolant and removed the reservoir. Pulled back some of the wiring loom. Removed the anti-roll bar and drop links to replace and add some polybushes.

I have also dropped some bits including the anti roll bar to a sandblasters.

635d5322d7feb76f4df5acbe2d2cd10d.jpgb4e3e8a66b4bb2451692d60c081ee1a4.jpg0eea473f1b60d65045b0fba2f4c0ea63.jpg

Shame to see the rust in the first post (it's like de ja vu, but in red!), but glad it's all getting sorted out.

Got an ETA for completion? 

It's frustrating, but nothing overly serious though.

Hoping to have it back on the road for next summer, but at this rate it may take longer than that!

Got the parts back from the sandblasters I dropped off Monday evening. Really good service. £30 for these bits and that includes the primer. Also was delivered new droplinks and a new Oil filler cap. Gave the bits a spray with some black. 

74FF9706-C829-4DC7-A1B1-4626C434D68F_zps

78F20010-DC91-4986-B7F3-52789FDBE4FF_zps

03E6B3BC-A8E7-4364-9C8F-4576CE12C3D7_zps

While they were drying a pulled the loom back a bit more and tried to move the fuse box out the way to do some body repairs. I'd rather not take the whole loom out!  hopefully I have just enough movement on it as it is.  

Nasty hole.....

EE52DC56-BDCA-4A28-9BB4-86A36C5C2823_zps

Cut out some of the rust yesterday, I need more practice however! it's my first attempt at bodywork so I know it's needs some tidying. 

Removed the wing to inspect it, and to give easier access. The bottom along the sill isn't in great condition. which is annoying because the rest of it is not bad at all. would rather not get a replacement as that would mean more cost spraying the whole thing... ideas needed

E58C501C-8B3B-452A-B88F-6E1BCDF9C6F1_zps

EC58C1DF-15B5-46E5-8A47-40E18B8C3EDB_zps

Edited by Ashley1995