HeftyDanielson

Hefty's 330D Upgrading the broken bits. New wheels/exhaust and sound clips.

I'd bump the alloys to the top of the list!

Where abouts is that video taken? The car park looks familiar.

Was taken from the Shadon car park, down from the golf course and the second video is in the twisties.

More pictures!!

Got a new OEM Msport knob, feels a lot nicer compared to the standard no weighted one.

xZNiFSt.jpg

Got rid of the gloss black grill outlines but still keeping the chrome inserts.

3QrqDWG.jpg

Wkb8uR5.jpg

Trying a dash camera after seeing loads of bad accidents etc. £40 finest spent.

jEmD7pj.jpg

Front a rear camera, all wires hidden, just need to put a 12v ignition live rather than plugging it in each time I use the car.

Any guides about?

zsxNql0.jpg

Got these cheap, they're fibre glass which need a little bit of adaption to fit correctly.

V3qwRUy.jpg

And snow foam soap to finish her off.

TSvzUhG.jpg

Yet another lengthy update.

Boring bits first, before the technical and mapping issues.

Finally got round to fitting the Msport brake ducts and ClubSport splitters.
zSaxgeA.jpg

Got myself some new wheels, with a rather low ET of 20. They sit nicely but rub a little on the rears.

RP4DkRU.jpg

M5oZ264.jpg

zCkBU94.jpg

6TctG3n.jpg

Random picture from a day out with a few friends.

HVe0Wlt.jpg

Now, since day one I've always wanted to get the vehicle mapped, finally got round to getting done from a local company I've heard nothing but praise from their customers and friends.

I went a long for a open day and chucked her on their Mustang Dyno, ran a healthy 179bhp and 330ft-lbs before the map was added.

bAneUNT.jpg

3L1oWco.jpg

However things didn't go to plan, after the map was added, she was put back on the rollers and started getting strong boost fluctuations and only managed an increase of 185bhp but 415ft-lbs of torque.

Investigations into the car began, looking for faults and or boost leaks whilst the map was being customised further for the vehicle, but to no avail, the issue was still there after multiple different variations. Slightly annoyed I headed home to fault find and investigate further.

In this video at around 00:15 on the pull, you can hear the boost climb then back off multiple times once at full throttle.

https://youtu.be/LwhW842G1Iw

After a little research I began to change components over (no pictures).

• all vacuum hoses, apart from the one to the egr and it is fully deleted.
  • Boost solenoid
  • vacuum chamber
  • MAF
  • MAP
  • cleaned inlet
  • boosted tested.

Also to go with these I had the engine's ECU updated from its 09/2002 date factory software to a newer one (which removed the map, but going back in a week to get it on the rollers once again to further fault find) because the new bosh maf was reader higher than the engine specified. This was then programmed to the ECU as far as I am aware.

However, apart from making the car pull a lot harder (must of fixed something, or refreshed it) the issue is still there and only remaining things to change are the turbo and its actuator, which I do hope it's not.

I am planning on doing the VAG technique of oven cleaner to free up the turbo vanes, as the actuator moves fine but it's a little stiff and possibly re-installing the egr pipe to eliminate that as a cause.

If you've got any ideas, I am all ears as I am running out of ideas and don't fancy buying a new turbo, yet.

Thanks,

Dan.

I'm sure some others might have some sensible suggestions, so I'll give you a silly one: Wynns EGR3 into the turbo .... If you may end up replacing it anyway then .....

I presume you get no error codes?

I'm sure some others might have some sensible suggestions, so I'll give you a silly one: Wynns EGR3 into the turbo .... If you may end up replacing it anyway then .....

I presume you get no error codes?

I've looked at the turbo cleaning kits and guides but the oven cleaner sprayed into the exhaust side seems like the best method, before changing the turbo. I've ran it on shell nitro diesel (which is meant to clean) for the past 20k and the actuator moves fine (if a little stiff)

The only error code that came up was an injector at full 250 bar (i think) on ignition prime, which suggest a dripping injector, but it starts fine all the time so it isn't too much of an issue, currently.

Another little update. 

Just changing wear and tear items for upgraded versions. 

Who like a 13 year old bush? 

Au4XmSW.jpg

ddrbICK.jpg

Got braided brake hoses, fresh fluid (will CDV delete whilst under there and bleeding system) and rear arm bushes to change once there's a break in the weather.  Only thing left to upgrade would be suspension and subframe bushes.

Pictures of these items installed will be uploaded once fitted if anyone wants to see. 

As for previous boosting issues, I took the turbo off and gave it a good clean, was a state but no bearing play or bent/broken fins which is a bonus.  Sadly no pictures of this as didn't really have time, however it helped a bit as boosts stronger but there's still the fluctuations.  So going to try a new actuator a friend as laying around and if this doesn't work a new turbo as that's the only thing left to change and I'm running out of ideas. ha 

How she currently sits. 

D37jabJ.jpg  
Feedback and ideas welcome as always. 

Hefty.  

Another update, with boring mundane drivel.

Finally got around to fitting the braided hoses, CVD delete and fresh ATE super blue fluid, then this was found. . . . . 

j8RsRnp.jpg  

Made the decision there to replace the copper brake lines as so. 

RH side, made a little too long and broken clip. 
gwAUsEw.jpg

LH side, little neater. 

0A9Ok1V.jpg

Method of joining rather than replace the whole lines as they were fine, this was the best/strongest method. 

tytGpGP.jpg

With these replaced, braided lines. CDV delete and fresh fluid the car feels awesome once again. 

With a fresh service completed @ 164,502, new oil (5w-40 fully), filters (oil, fuel, pollen), pipercross/maf/map clean the car fees great again.  

Mot and tax time. 

Nice and clean. 

nPTADNt.jpg

New turbo, suspension and more polly bushes install coming soon. 

Off to Auto sport this weekend, so be nice little drive up the motorway. 

Comments always welcome. 

Dan. 

had to replace my rear brake pipes both sides to centre section as the fronts were fine,the rears are a bad design and get rotten easier,i used copper also.all done by a guy i used £60 all in,bargain back in september.

Thought I'd give a little update on how things are going. 

First things first, I've finally fixed the boosting issue, by replacing the turbo. 

Bh40RA0.jpg
9leTd4w.jpg

recon replacement from Essex turbos.  Would recommend, very quick delivery and one of the cheapest quality ones about and 2 years warranty keeps me happy till I sell the car.

Here's how it sounded on first startup. 

Haven't got many pictures atm but I've also installed 15mm/13mm spacers and a newer Eonon android head unit. 

Here's how the car currently looks. 

uZRDuFw.jpg

Will get more/better images soon once the further upgrades arrive. 

Been a while since I've updated this properly, so here's an image dump. 

How she currently sits next to my friends IS200 after a car show.

t46QNi6.jpg

L07wBJy.jpg

kYOu5Hz.jpg

mentioned in the last post of 13/15mm spacers, here's how they looked. 

78iUObF.jpg

cpJbqB1.jpg

cxPd49D.jpg

diuoEXK.jpg

tVaJZqg.jpg

Had another service, all fluids, filters etc and used 5w-40 castrol Edge Fully Diesel oil. odometer for records. (yes, oil sensor has gone)

MUMsRmz.jpg

Exhaust became a little more free flowing.

aziTJLf.jpg 

Will get a sound clip up later on as the one I had recorded was on a awful iPhone quality.  

And how she is currently, still after a good FMIC, back box and then will get her mapped once again. 

COTD2Ff.jpg

More pictures, videos etc can be seen below. 

https://www.facebook.com/Vehicularenthusiasts/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKiTGOGdPL7JmgY9lwEOp_g

https://www.instagram.com/vehicular_enthusiast/

Comments, thoughts and suggestions always welcome! 

Been a while since I've posted, mainly using this for history picture proof purposes. 

Fresh service and MOT again, nice clean mot and fresh oil (5w-40w fully) fuel, oil ad pollen filter. 
Nice oil and filters as always. 
AdskQbI.jpg

Miles slowly rising, still drives beautifully and as tight as ever. 

PNPBxAo.jpg

Found the engine mount vac lines weren't looking the best, so changed for fresh lines. qfUT66J.jpg

Finally got new wheels.   Real "BBS Reps" 8Jx18 ET35 at the front, 8.5Jx18 ET45 (i think) at the rear. 

AJY4T4r.jpg

KR9EwyQ.jpg

d0mr1aX.jpg

Also found a performance back box, as you can see in the pictures, here how it sounds. 

a hell of a lot of images/videos can be found below. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKiTGOGdPL7JmgY9lwEOp_g

https://www.instagram.com/vehicular_enthusiast/

Edited by HeftyDanielson