The_Judge_

Injector Removal DIY

Does anyone know of a good DIY to remove injectors? I've searched this forum and the internet. Most of the search results simply result in the videos of dude using planks of wood and making fools of themselves. Could do with a bit of help, the part I\m worrying about is dropping something into my engine. Do I need to remove the manifold, I remember reading somewhere it just needs to be partly lifted out of the way right to let the injectors free??

I don't have an answer, but it's a very good question that many of us diesel-heads will need an answer to at some point.

What I would like to know is how prevalent is the seized injector problem? Are the videos on YouTube the "bad news that travels fast"? (ie. are there plenty of straight-forward diesel injector swaps going on?)

I tried mine. Couldn't even turn the bolt. Gave up.

Didn't have the right tool and was trying to use a socket though. Access was easy without the manifold though.

Suf, remove the manifold mate, makes it 10 times easier.

Not all injectors will be bad, when I changed my no 3 I tried all the other injectors and all mine came out by hand... No slide hammer (or plank of wood lol) Mine has done over 150,000 so not a new engine.

There is a good DIY doing a refurb of the injectors and it explains on the removal. I'll try and find a link when I get home.

Edited by CharlE46

Thanks guys. It took my mechanic 7 hours to do the entire job on one injector last time he tried, he ended up taking my slide hammer off me as part payment ... but anyway thats a big labour charge and friends rates only go so far , which is why I want to do it myself this time i.e. to TRY and remove all 5 remaining and then get them re-furbed.

How are they numbered. Is no.6 closest to the driver or the radiator?

Edited by The_judge aka Suf

Not all injectors will be bad, when I changed my no 3 I tried all the other injectors and all mine came out by hand... No slide hammer (or plank of wood lol) Mine has done over 150,000 so not a new engine.

Positive news! :)

How are they numbered. Is no.6 closest to the driver or the radiator?

Numbered from the front, no.1 nearest radiator.

Just found this one, the bit where he shaves off a few mm off the manifold cover seems a bit dodgy but otherwise how does this guide rate??

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f89/changing-injectors-m57-engine-not-n2-m47-lost-pictures-t124159/

For some reason it won't open on my phone but there is no need whatsoever to shave a few mm of the manifold....

Nice find. :thumbsup: I don't think I'd be too bothered about "relieving" the manifold at that point, but it's a pain having to do it. I certainly wouldn't bother taking the manifold off if that's the extent of the clearance issue.

I notice that he's working on a 2.9, and says that the write-up doesn't apply to "M57N2". Does that mean that it doesn't apply to 3.0s at all? I've Googled M57N2 and found no conclusive evidence - all I can find is M57, M57TU and M57TU2

Edited by StuBeeDoo